almost hit someone with my car

ucvb6

May 30, 2001

======-------------------------------------------------------------
====== *car**car**car**car*X*car**car* *my car* <---------------traffic moves this way
======----------------------------------------
====== _/---------------------------
=============================/
*left*-thats the crosswalk.

heres the thing, im driving along, i need to make a left turn so i get into the left lane. and this girl(X) is walking in b/t those cars's but she's only checking the opposite direction the whole time. i see hear and slam on my brakes, literally, my car was sliding, rubber burning. i was so close to hitting her to the point where she put out her hands to kinda push offthe front of my car. i was so scared that i had hit her kness or something.

i felt like i was in shock(but imagine how she must have felt), i kept asking her if she was ok, but all she kept saying was "yes,yes, i'm ok" and she walked off.

my question is, if i did hit her, is it possible for her to have kinda walked it off when in actuality, her knee or something was all screwed up due to shcok or something? (i mean she just walk away, on her own way)

also, am i at fault? i mean, i dont think i was speeding. is it possible that i may hear from her lawyer or something a week later telling me that i'm getting sued or something?

this was worrying me the whole day, i hope she REALLY is ok, like she said.
last thought, thank goodness i wasnt talking on my cellular phone or anything.

ucvb6

May 30, 2001
do what? talk on my cell. while driving?

even though i wasnt on my cell phone today when this incident happened, just thinking about what MIGHT have happened had i been on my cell. phone scares the crap out of me. now i definitely wont talk on my cell. phone while driving.

Aihyah

Banned
Apr 21, 2000
hm, doubt it, if her knees got bent backwards even a little she wouldn't be able to walk off:p

ricerx

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
you should be fine. if you weren't breaking any laws and she walked out in front of you, then it's basically her fault. they put crosswalks in streets for a reason. she shouldn't be walking in traffic anyway.

ricerx

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
the only real way i see you could be at fault is if you left the scene without checking on her or you were breaking some traffic law at the time.

ucvb6

May 30, 2001
well, i was kinda in shock, i didnt get out of my car for some reason. probably should have though.

ikar0s

Banned
Oct 2, 2001

<< well, i was kinda in shock, i didnt get out of my car for some reason. probably should have though. >>

Yeah, you should've gotten out and b1tch-slapped her for almost causing a serious traffic accident.

cx32m4

Feb 16, 2001

<< you should be fine. if you weren't breaking any laws and she walked out in front of you, then it's basically her fault. they put crosswalks in streets for a reason. she shouldn't be walking in traffic anyway. >>

even if she was jaywalking, it's not her fault if she gets hit by a car.
Most of the times, jaywalking or not, it's usually the driver's fault. driver have reposiblity to watch for pedestrains at all time, crosswalk or no crosswalk.
Driver can only get away with it, if the pdestrain came outta nowhere, and driver could never avoid hitting.

Aihyah

Banned
Apr 21, 2000
Most of the times, jaywalking or not, it's usually the driver's fault. driver have reposiblity to watch for pedestrains at all time, crosswalk or no crosswalk.

so not true, pedestrians have responsibilities just like drivers, if you get hit by a car and you were leaping into traffic or jaywalking, driver is not at fault. atleast here in cali.

you must be one of those bastard pedestrians that think they own the road eh?? hehe:)

ricerx

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001

<< even if she was jaywalking, it's not her fault if she gets hit by a car. Most of the times, jaywalking or not, it's usually the driver's fault. driver have reposiblity to watch for pedestrains at all time, crosswalk or no crosswalk.
Driver can only get away with it, if the pdestrain came outta nowhere, and driver could never avoid hitting
>>

i agree that a lot of times it's the drivers fault for not paying attention, but in his situation, it seems that he has a valid point. she did come out of nowhere or a place he couldn't see her. she was in traffic between cars. it also seems like he almost couldn't avoid hitting her. now if he didn't brake at all then he is most likely guilty of not being a responsible driver which wasn't paying attention.

edit:

if she was walking from the other side of the street where he can clearly see her, then it's another story. But, she came from in between cars that were in traffic.