Almost got canned at work

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Our dept (IT) is already functioning at the bare minimum - my boss as the director, a progammer, system admin, data control and I do helpdesk. Previous data control guy got fired and my backup had to step in and fill that position. Now they're looking for another cut but since my boss couldn't afford to lose another person he took a paycut. If he didn't I'm almost positive it'll be me. *Wipes sweat off forehead*

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Ahh the corporate life......what the executives don't know actually hurts them.....ignorance is bliss.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
How's the business? Are the cuts due to declining revenues, or the need for a strengthening of the bottom line? In either case, I'd be out peddling my resume unless there was some overriding factor to stick it out.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Our dept (IT) is already functioning at the bare minimum - my boss as the director, a progammer, system admin, data control and I do helpdesk. Previous data control guy got fired and my backup had to step in and fill that position. Now they're looking for another cut but since my boss couldn't afford to lose another person he took a paycut. If he didn't I'm almost positive it'll be me. *Wipes sweat off forehead*

Actually, I've found that the actual helpdesk "grunt" usually has the least to worry about. I'd bet that you are pretty much the lifeline for day to day problems. Imagine how much different it would be if you weren't there.

I know if they let me go tomorrow, this place would fall apart in 2 days. Heck, when I take the rare day off, the place is in shambles the next day. lol

When I am around, things run as smooth as butter.

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: amdhunter
Originally posted by: jtvang125

Actually, I've found that the actual helpdesk "grunt" usually has the least to worry about. I'd bet that you are pretty much the lifeline for day to day problems. Imagine how much different it would be if you weren't there.

I know if they let me go tomorrow, this place would fall apart in 2 days. Heck, when I take the rare day off, the place is in shambles the next day. lol

Anyone is replaceable.

I've seen critical people get laid off, and everything falls apart. What does the company do? It hires expensive consultants at $100/hour to come fix everything. Sure the guy who got canned might get some satisfaction out of seeing the company pay so much money to fix problems that were created from his layoff, but he's still out of a job.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
That's something I haven't had to worry about for 8 years thankfully. Things may suck at times around here but at least they're stable.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Chryso
Why do they need a cut? Is business that bad?
About 4 or 5 months back we did have 2 bad months but we had a record breaking month in august. Sept was great as well. I'm not sure what's going on.

Originally posted by: tfinch2
So why do you want to stay there? :confused:
The pay is quite good for the type of work I'm doing.

Originally posted by: amdhunter

Yea, it's pretty much the same with me. Atleast my boss can see this and stepped up.

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Sounds like the writing is on the wall. I hope you've floated some resumes to other companies or have at least come up with a game plan. You don't want to be caught by surprised by the next round of cuts.

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
Like other have said, looks like a sinking ship. It's time to update the Resume and get out before it takes you under.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
You don't have to give your 2 weeks and hit the door just because of this. It's going into Q4...it's the time companies always freak out and try to make their bottom line look better for the stockholders.

You should at least look at what they're paying you for your work and compare with other companies in the area.....at least...

That will help you assess how much they are able to value their employees based on the condition of their stocks and management decisions. From there, you might be better off somewhere else.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
About 4 or 5 months back we did have 2 bad months but we had a record breaking month in august. Sept was great as well. I'm not sure what's going on.

Record breaking and a great month and they're canning people and you don't know why?

Here's your mission for the weekend: Brush up your resume and give it out wherever you can.

Yea, it's pretty much the same with me. Atleast my boss can see this and stepped up.

Maybe, or maybe your boss and the programmer and whoever else could hold things together...In any case, it can never hurt to look for a new job. Maybe the pay will be even better.

It's going into Q4...it's the time companies always freak out and try to make their bottom line look better for the stockholders.

Some, but not all. Q4 or not, if a company is making cuts and you've just missed them, it behooves you to ensure you're not there for the next round unless you know why they happened and why you wouldn't be in the next round. It's an awful feeling wondering if you're disposable like that and nobody needs to live like it with a profession like the OPer has.