Almost all ID games to be available on Steam?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
FS Link

"» (Almost) All id Games Available On Steam

Confirming rumors that had cropped up earlier today, id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead has announced that (almost) all of id's catalog of games will now be available for purchase and download via Valve's Steam service. All of id's older game will be able to work with modern OS such as Windows XP and Vista. id will release all of the games separately or in a mega pack containing all of the games (including expansion packs) for one price of $69.99 (one Commander Keen game will not be made available because the rights were secured by the current owners of Softdisk and according to what Hollenshead told us earlier today id was unwilling to pay the price that Softdisk was asking for the game)."

They don't give a link to a press release, and I didn't see anything on ID's main page for it. I do see ads for ID games on Steam though, so it looks legit.

Edit - Its confirmed. 62.95 USD will get you almost all ID games. :)

I wish I had 63 dollars to spend on them, maybe I should pull some cash from my ING account . . .

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
This is amazing. I just fired up Steam, and pretty much every id game is up for grabs.

I :heart: Steam.

EDIT: Complete Doom pack:

Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
Doom 2 Master Levels
Ultimate Doom
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil

$36

D/L'ing now ;)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
the pics and screenshots for most of them don't work

pretty cool deals it seems. some of the individual prices are pretty crappy considering how old the games are.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
the pics and screenshots for most of them don't work

pretty cool deals it seems. some of the individual prices are pretty crappy considering how old the games are.

The pics didn't work for me either. I sure that will be resolved before too long.

Bare in mind, that the old games are fully XP/Vista compatible. Might be worth it to some people.

I've had bootlegs of Commander Keen since 93, but it'd be nice to have them on Steam.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Man, if they'd integrate some online play (without having to jump through hoops) for DOOM & DOOM 2 that would be some fun stuff. Co-op DOOM was good too.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Cool...

BTW - Commander Keen is listed! :)

id Super Pack:

Includes: Quake III Arena, Wolfenstein 3D, Ultimate DOOM, Final DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, QUAKE III: Team Arena, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity, QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, DOOM 3, HeXen II, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels for Doom II, Commander Keen

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
I am buying the super pack today for $63 and on monday i am selling all my ID games for $60 :!
Quake 1,2,3 $20 buy now
Doom 1,2,3 $20 buy now
RTCW and Hexen collection $20 buy now

some sucker will buy it on ebay :!

I am over having the retail copy box... i rather have all my games on demand instead of me looking through my humongous pile of game disk.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Balt
Man, if they'd integrate some online play (without having to jump through hoops) for DOOM & DOOM 2 that would be some fun stuff. Co-op DOOM was good too.

They do have online for Doom 1 and Doom 2. Ultimate Doom is the pack you want :()

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'm still debating whether or not to put this package on my remaining credit card . . . I know I wouldn't play many of the games regularly, but it'd be nice to have them in my collection.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Yay Steam!

Remember when HL2 came out and everyone was "HATE STEAM"? It's come pretty far...

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer
I'm still debating whether or not to put this package on my remaining credit card . . . I know I wouldn't play many of the games regularly, but it'd be nice to have them in my collection.

Get the collection... its got over 629.5hrs+ of gameplay included :)

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Aflac
Yay Steam!

Remember when HL2 came out and everyone was "HATE STEAM"? It's come pretty far...

Steam is teh rox0rz.

I dream of the day in which each and every game ever made can be acquired via Steam.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Man, I knew that I'd get ganked for buying Ultimate Doom! :(
Does anyone know if you can use ZDoom or are those features included? I want my mouse look.

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
hmm havent bought any games for a long time, but just got the ID super pack :beer::thumbsup:

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
i just bought id super pack last night, Going to play some of these classic games when i get home from work tonight.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Noema
Yay Steam!

Steam is teh rox0rz.

I dream of the day in which each and every game ever made can be acquired via Steam.

Its good now for games you can no longer find, but for newer games I'd much rather have my own hard copy and not be required to be online to play single player campaigns...

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Yay Steam!

Steam is teh rox0rz.

Its good now for games you can no longer find, but for newer games I'd much rather have my own hard copy and not be required to be online to play single player campaigns...
well theres this thing called offline mode

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: toyota
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Yay Steam!

Steam is teh rox0rz.

well theres this thing called offline mode

You can you can make backups to burn to DVD/CD as well. :p

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
now it would be cool, if lucasarts publish some of it star wars games on steam in a package deal like ID just did. That would be awesome.

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
sucks that some of the games in the super id pack - notably RTCW - wont allow you to play multiplayer online, since the CD key field is empty

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
just another note: after trying loads of things to fix slight hitching in all games, since having installing the ID super pack, eg driver updates etc etc; ive worked out that it was caused by Steam having certain games in "download:0%" status - it thinks there are updates to be downloaded when there arent..
to fix it i had to "pause updating" on these games...wierd --- just a heads up

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: QuaziK
sucks that some of the games in the super id pack - notably RTCW - wont allow you to play multiplayer online, since the CD key field is empty

waht about quake3?

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: QuaziK

Are you sure? IMHO that is false advertising, since there's no mention of it in the Steam Ad. Many of ID's games are known mainly for their online mode more so than single player. I bought the ID super pack and I'll be very upset if any of the Doom or Quake games are not playable online.