Allergy sufferers getting new nonprescription versions of Zyrtec

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Zyrtec users are getting new options that don't require a prescription.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given approval today for Ohm Laboratories Inc. to sell generic versions of Pfizer Inc.'s Zyrtec.

The antihistamine doesn't make takers sleepy (EDIT: NOT TRUE). It has generated about $1.3 billion in annual sales but lost patent protection in late December.

Ohm will sell the drug in five and 10 milligram doses under its chemical name, cetirizine hydrochloride.

Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories Ltd. of Detroit and Perrigo Co. of Allegan, Michigan, also have approval to sell cetirizine hydrochloride as a generic, over-the-counter drug in five and 10 milligram doses.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Analog
The antihistamine doesn't make takers sleepy (EDIT: NOT TRUE).

I don't know. Both of my kids take Zyrtec and it doesn't make them sleepy.

Anyways, good news. Between this and my insurance company treating all asthma medicine like generics, I will save a ton of money on prescriptions this year.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i use claratin d maybe a month out of the year.
luckily its non prescription+generic now so its cheap:):D
it really sucked at 1 buck a pill

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Allergy sufferers benefit from claritin, allegra and zyrtec as non drowsy antihistamines. Claritin has been otc for a while now. What usually happens is one will stop working after a while, and they will switch, and repeat after a while.

wired spider - zyrtec claritin and allegra are newer non-drowsy anti-histamines - Advil allergy and sinus has an older anti-histamine that can cause drowsiness, ibuprofen, and pseudoephedrine which is an effective decongestant and a bit of stimulant, which offsets the drowsiness of the chlorpheniramine

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I use Claritin regular and it helps a ton. I have chronic urticaria aka chronic hives.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
Before stocking up on Zyrtec, make sure that you don't experience dizziness from it. I started taking it for my seasonal allergies when Claritin was not working, and boy did I get dizzy a few times.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
If you have prescription coverage, it may still pay to get a prescription for these drugs (assuming your insurer will still cover them).

I get a prescription for Claritin and can get 90 days supply for $15. :) It's funny to get a boat load of the OTC boxes of Claritin all taped together with a presecription lable on it. lol

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
zyrtec was made OTC just a few months ago, i guess this is to prevent the generics from making more money if they were still prescription based.

since i put money in flex spending (as most people should), i save more by buying OTC zyrtec.

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: theknight571
If you have prescription coverage, it may still pay to get a prescription for these drugs (assuming your insurer will still cover them).

I get a prescription for Claritin and can get 90 days supply for $15. :) It's funny to get a boat load of the OTC boxes of Claritin all taped together with a presecription lable on it. lol

except that by utilizing insurance in that way you add to their cost burden and they more than make up for it in raising everyone's premiums lol lol lol lol

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: theknight571

You can buy 300 generic Claritin tablets for about 11 bucks at Costco. That's quite a bit cheaper than you're getting them for (you're paying $50 for 300.)