Question Allergins from my home built PC

Traxan

Senior member
Jun 5, 2005
369
8
81
This is an odd one. Over the last few week I’ve developed a nasty dry cough that I realized came only in my computer room. Today I tried turning off the PC. I shut it down, cranked a HEPA air filter and left the room for 2 hours. Came back, sat for 30 minutes with the PC off, no cough. Turned it on, coughing within 5 minutes. Repeated the process and same thing.

It is definitely the PC. Something is being put out that causes a nasty cough. Any idea what? It can’t be plain old dust, can it?

PC specs:
Phanteks P500A case
Corsair H100i Elite Capellex AIO
EVGA 650 PSU
MSI GTX 1070
Samsung M.2 SSDs
ASUS TUF gaming mobo with Ryzen 5 5600X CPU and 32GB of memory.

Normal voltage, CPU temps around 32C.

All help is appreciated.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator and Elite Member
Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
24,665
8,774
146
Is the hepa filter running while the PC is on, and this still happens? If so, I would dust the PC thoroughly; I use a battery powered blower. Canned duster works if you can't use something better. Do it in the garage or porch area. If that doesn't help, I'd break the entire PC down, carefully inspect everything, and give every part an isopropyl alcohol wipe down. Even spray some with a misting spray bottle into the PSU. I don't recommend opening the PSU unless you have experience with best practices for it. You can get the mist spray bottle in most gardening areas of a store.

If there is mold, mildew, or some other allergen lurking inside, and the fans are exhausting it into the room, the isopropyl will kill it.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY