All Turkish Academics Banned From Traveling Abroad

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
https://www.rt.com/news/352218-turkey-academics-ban-travel/

The ban is a temporary measure to prevent alleged coup plotters in universities from escaping, according to a Turkish government official, cited by Reuters. Some people at the universities were communicating with military cells, the official claimed.

Goddamn it. Does Erdogan want to transform Turkey into Iran Jr.? Turkey is going to be screwed for decades to come if this is how things will end up becoming. Temporary ban, my ass.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Don't be ridiculous, Erdogan isn't trying to turn Turkey into Iran.

You see, Iran places certain limits on the amount of power the executive has......

But to be serious, if I was of the moneyed and intellectual variety in Turkey, I would be trying to look for ways out ASAP. The 'coup' looks mightily Reichstag-fire-like. (I suppose I should add that if I was in turkey generally I would be looking to get out but obviously there are plenty of people in Turkey who seem pretty happy with what Erdogan is doing....)

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Next stop is switching sides to Russia and China.
The eastern axis is born, unless we want to cozy up to an Islamic State of tyranny, death, and destruction. But I believe it is already too late.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The eastern axis is born, unless we want to cozy up to an Islamic State of tyranny, death, and destruction. But I believe it is already too late.

An Erdogan - Putin alliance would be as warm and fuzzy as the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and worth about as much. China's too busy making money to worry about a crank like Erdogan. Sure, China would sell Turkey arms, cash only.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
An Erdogan - Putin alliance would be as warm and fuzzy as the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and worth about as much. China's too busy making money to worry about a crank like Erdogan. Sure, China would sell Turkey arms, cash only.

You saw the Erdogan's apology to Russia, right?
Next he says the US tried to kill him.
And NATO threatens his membership if he follows his dreams of tyranny.
An Eastern Axis is the only place for him now. Far as I see it he has already made his move by setting the stage.

See, we wouldn't approve a ground invasion into Syria. So now you remove Assad from the picture by becoming a more valuable ally to Russia. And Russia will certainly not object to a powerful economic and military incentive. IMO, Erdogan has his sights set on the Aleppo economic / food basket plus the territory of Kurdish tribes across the border. Join the "East", dispose Syria, and fulfill the ambitions of a new Ottoman Empire.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
But to be serious, if I was of the moneyed and intellectual variety in Turkey, I would be trying to look for ways out ASAP.

I'd be long gone. That place is on the fast track to being the next islamic shithole, and that trainride just got accelerated by the supposed coup attempt. It's a dictator asserting total control, and anyone with the means should be getting the hell out of dodge.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Turkey is dancing on the edge of hell. As is Russia. Dancing there together is not going to help either.

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
I bet damage is done already.
He is alienating a large and important group, for later to wonder how Turkey became hellhole then talk conspiracy bs.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Turkey is going to be hit with massive brain drain, like the one that hit Russia. Pretty much everyone who is educated and has other options will bail on Turkey now. Ability to replace this talent will be hampered for generations by the purge and packing with Islamists of schools and colleges.
Maybe they are going to try to stop people from leaving like former USSR did.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
So sad, going from secular to religious extremist is easy for a state because everyone is worried about being beheaded or such but to go back to secular takes decades. BTW this is a perfect job for President Trump. Can you imagine, wonder who is secretary of state will be, Palin?

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
Well, obviously he wants EU membership so bad in order to export half his nation to Europe.
The guy is playing smart while Europe keep pretending to be the pacifist innocent dumb.

What his ultimate goal is however, something I'm not sure of yet.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Two things I haven't seen yet (correct me if I'm wrong please) that would indicate a turn for the worse:

A complete takeover of the media, academia and sciences by the government ala North Korea.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Why the hell would Turkey align with russia when it's already aligned with the US?

I suppose if you were king, but see why that would never happen?

This is entirely simpleton good guys are on our side, bad guys on theirs thinking.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Erdogan is to Turkey what Chavez was to Venezuela -- with the only difference being that Erdogan will drive the country into the islamic abyss instead of the commie one. The people of Turkey are screwed, and their euro neighbors better be ready for the coming flood of Turks. (as if they didn't have enough problems with migrants coming in already).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Two things I haven't seen yet (correct me if I'm wrong please) that would indicate a turn for the worse:

A complete takeover of the media, academia and sciences by the government ala North Korea.

Eh they have basically run out opposing media and now they are working on academia\science.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Erdogan is to Turkey what Chavez was to Venezuela -- with the only difference being that Erdogan will drive the country into the islamic abyss instead of the commie one. The people of Turkey are screwed, and their euro neighbors better be ready for the coming flood of Turks. (as if they didn't have enough problems with migrants coming in already).

They need to take in secular educated Turks while the religious nuts are still worshiping Erdogan in Turkey, and then close the door shut. Once sh!t hits the fan, everyone will want to get out, including the Islamists who voted for it.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Turkey is a goner, but we need to think about cherry picking their top scientists and engineers and getting them some sort of visas to come to the US.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
They need to take in secular educated Turks while the religious nuts are still worshiping Erdogan in Turkey, and then close the door shut. Once sh!t hits the fan, everyone will want to get out, including the Islamists who voted for it.

We must remain optimistic and hope Turkey can get it's shit together. If it can't, it is going to get real ugly in Europe. Turkey's economy is doing well and growing, so the news is not all bad.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
We must remain optimistic and hope Turkey can get it's shit together. If it can't, it is going to get real ugly in Europe. Turkey's economy is doing well and growing, so the news is not all bad.

Turkey is a goner. Nothing to be optimistic about. You can't purge your teachers and hand over education to Islamists and then pretend you have a bright future. You can't get rid of independent judiciary and then pretend that rights of businesses and individuals are still protected. If the courts are stuffed with Erdogan stooges and others afraid of getting purged, than whatever Erdogan says will happen to your business will happen to it. Who wants to invest under such conditions? Same thing happened in Russia, they also had a hopeful future, until they didn't.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I bet damage is done already.
He is alienating a large and important group, for later to wonder how Turkey became hellhole then talk conspiracy bs.
Agreed. Hope those people can get out of Turkey alive.

Turkey is going to be hit with massive brain drain, like the one that hit Russia. Pretty much everyone who is educated and has other options will bail on Turkey now. Ability to replace this talent will be hampered for generations by the purge and packing with Islamists of schools and colleges.
Maybe they are going to try to stop people from leaving like former USSR did.
Seems they have already started.