All these talk about boycotting the China Olympics

vital

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2000
There has been a lot of talk of boycotting the China Olympics due to the Tibet Protests and other issues. If the Olympics were in the US this year, would you think there would just be as much talks of boycotting the US Olympics due to the Iraq War? Discuss.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
The Tibetans aren't protesting, they are rioting and looting. Boycotting these Olympics for this reason would be like boycotting the US Olympics because of the Los Angeles riots of 1992 (I know it was in Barcelona, but let's say it was going to be hosted in New York).

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Brigandier
No, you can breathe our air without a mask on.

1.3 billion people in China breathe their air without masks just fine. Their life expectancy is 73 years, ours is 78 years, I doubt that difference is entirely due to or even significantly affected by air quality considering the average income and quality of medical care there compared to here.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, alot is made out of the bad air in China, but its not THAT much worse than some places in the USA. Also of note is that probably 30+ years ago before the modern enviromental movement the air in the USA was just as bad as it is in China today. There are some great coparissons where I live (Chattanooga) between the 60s and 70s and today and its incredible how much the air has changed. When my parents moved to Chattanogga in the 70s you couldn't even see the mountains because the smog was so bad (from heavy industry), these days you can see them perfectly. I know China isn't as good as the USA in terms of eviromentalism, but the USA was just as crappy when it was in the same level of development industrially as China is today. Not really fair to get on their case about dirty coal plants when we had just as many back in the day.

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
I was using hyperbole, comrades. When the Olympic okays the use for rescue inhalers and a Kenyan endurance runner is just not participating due to air quality issues, I can comment. Plus, rewarding China for being China is also not kosher

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I won't be watching any part of the China Olympics intentionally.

China is not my friend.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Yeah, alot is made out of the bad air in China, but its not THAT much worse than some places in the USA. Also of note is that probably 30+ years ago before the modern enviromental movement the air in the USA was just as bad as it is in China today. There are some great coparissons where I live (Chattanooga) between the 60s and 70s and today and its incredible how much the air has changed. When my parents moved to Chattanogga in the 70s you couldn't even see the mountains because the smog was so bad (from heavy industry), these days you can see them perfectly. I know China isn't as good as the USA in terms of eviromentalism, but the USA was just as crappy when it was in the same level of development industrially as China is today. Not really fair to get on their case about dirty coal plants when we had just as many back in the day.

Actually no. The USA had its share of pollution problems, but not to the levels that China does, nor affecting the numbers of people that China's pollution is.

Here's some info from Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/manufact...1129pollute_slide.html

(with the accompanying story)
http://www.forbes.com/manufact...cx_db_1129pollute.html

http://www.forbes.com/personal...12etfbriefing_inl.html

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
There will always be people who will try to find reasons boycott the Olympics-- be it in China or the US. Don't believe me? Check the World's opinion on the US right now. That being said, boycotting is petty and in bad taste, in my opinion.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If anyone Boycotted a US Olympics at this time, it would likely be an insignificant nation. I doubt any major Nation would do so.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: sandorski
If anyone Boycotted a US Olympics at this time, it would likely be an insignificant nation. I doubt any major Nation would do so.

Wikipedia reminds us that US olympics have been boycotted before (and that led to a grossly inflated medal count for the USA contingent).

14 Countries took part in the Soviet led boycott of the 1984 Olympic Games [2]:

Afghanistan
Angola
Bulgaria
Cuba
Czechoslovakia
East Germany
Ethiopia
Hungary
Laos
Mongolia
North Korea
Poland
Soviet Union
Vietnam
Iran and Libya also boycotted the games, citing political reasons, but were not a part of the Soviet led boycott.

Putin having a Russian boycott implemented in the near future would not surprise me in the least.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dennilfloss

Wikipedia reminds us that US olympics have been boycotted before (and that led to a grossly inflated medal count for the USA contingent).

Afghanistan
Angola
Bulgaria
Cuba
Czechoslovakia
East Germany
Ethiopia
Hungary
Laos
Mongolia
North Korea
Poland
Soviet Union
Vietnam
Iran and Libya also boycotted the games, citing political reasons, but were not a part of the Soviet led boycott.

Putin having a Russian boycott in the near future would not surprise me in the least.

True, those were very Politically charged times though. Especially since the US and others boycotted the Moscow Olympics 4 years earlier.

newmachineoverlord

Jan 22, 2006
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
we aren't currently repressing large portions of our population.

wrong. The US has the highest per capita imprisonment rate in the world (roughly 3x that of china). Most people in US prisons have never been convicted of a violent crime. The prison industry is a highly profitable privatized industry with an enormous fiscal cost to taxpayers, exceeding that of what they said the Iraq war would cost.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: newmachineoverlord
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
we aren't currently repressing large portions of our population.

wrong. The US has the highest per capita imprisonment rate in the world (roughly 3x that of china). Most people in US prisons have never been convicted of a violent crime. The prison industry is a highly profitable privatized industry with an enormous fiscal cost to taxpayers, exceeding that of what they said the Iraq war would cost.

Unfortunately, yes the US does have a large prison population, but that's due to a high crime rate in many places. That does NOT equal repression of the population.
Non-violent offenders are still criminals and should be locked up.
I can't imagine allowing burglars, heroin dealers, white-collar criminals, or other ""non-violent" criminals to roam the streets just because they are "non-violent."

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
My concern over air quality is that you will have athletes pushing themselves to the limits. I hear of smog alerts in Toronto (canada) advising the old and people with respiratory problems to stay indoors, i hate to imagine what would happen to athletes with China's smog.
You can tell me all you want about how people live in this smog and how you walked around in it with no ill effect, it is irrelevant. These athletes will be sucking in huge volumes of air and push themselves to their physical limit, and I don't know what effect the smog will have but it will not be good. Show me the tests done to disprove my fears before saying there is nothing to worry about.

China will have to shut down every factory and every road to public traffic upwind of the events long enough for the smog to dissipate, it's that or multiple delays with bad smog days and possible heath problems cropping up (god forbid deaths) which will make China look like crap. But this is China, they might do just that.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Brigandier
No, you can breathe our air without a mask on.

Who's idea was that to move all the factories to China instead of US?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001

Afghanistan
Angola
Bulgaria
Cuba
Czechoslovakia
East Germany
Ethiopia
Hungary
Laos
Mongolia
North Korea
Poland
Soviet Union
Vietnam

Putin having a Russian boycott implemented in the near future would not surprise me in the least.

It all comes down to politics and allies.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
And many African countries boycotted the Montreal Olympics in 76.

Really? Hmm, what was that about?

The New Zealand rugby team toured apartheid South AFrica the same year so most of AFrica boycotted the Olympics.

The following 28 countries boycotted the Games.[1] The boycott was due to the participation of New Zealand: New Zealand's national rugby union team (the All Blacks) continued to play rugby with South Africa.[2] (South Africa had been banned from the Olympics since 1964 due to its apartheid policies).

Boycotting countries shown in yellow, green and orangeAlgeria
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Congo
Egypt
Ethiopia
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guyana
Iraq
Kenya
Libya
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Morocco
Niger
Nigeria
Sudan
Swaziland
Tanzania
Togo
Tunisia
Uganda
Upper Volta
Zambia

Strange but true.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit
The Tibetans aren't protesting, they are rioting and looting. Boycotting these Olympics for this reason would be like boycotting the US Olympics because of the Los Angeles riots of 1992 (I know it was in Barcelona, but let's say it was going to be hosted in New York).

Wow. Wow

Wow.....

What is wrong with you?

Wow

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
My concern over air quality is that you will have athletes pushing themselves to the limits. I hear of smog alerts in Toronto (canada) advising the old and people with respiratory problems to stay indoors, i hate to imagine what would happen to athletes with China's smog.
You can tell me all you want about how people live in this smog and how you walked around in it with no ill effect, it is irrelevant. These athletes will be sucking in huge volumes of air and push themselves to their physical limit, and I don't know what effect the smog will have but it will not be good. Show me the tests done to disprove my fears before saying there is nothing to worry about.

China will have to shut down every factory and every road to public traffic upwind of the events long enough for the smog to dissipate, it's that or multiple delays with bad smog days and possible heath problems cropping up (god forbid deaths) which will make China look like crap. But this is China, they might do just that.

I don't understand this logic. If the runners were that adversely affected by the pollution, wouldn't that mean the Chinese athletes are all basically going to lose because they are all dying after one event? Do the Chinese representatives only train indoors and thus hurt their chances of winning in an outdoor event? I have a hard time believing that these athletes are going to be that adversely affected by the pollution from spending such a short period of time in China. I've spent time in Shanghai and Beijing recently and although the pollution is bad, it's not like it caused me to wheeze. It didn't look much worse than LA 10 years ago.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit

Wow. Wow

Wow.....

What is wrong with you?

Wow

wow, huh? maybe you would care to explain what exactly is wrong with his statement?