All questions & no answer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry I have trouble buying that the Saudis are humanitarians. There is always a hidden agenda, it isn't anything conspiracy-like it is just that governments act out of self interest and that is natural. Especially tyrannical authoritarian governments.

I tend to like the reply above about placating Palestinians to keep them out of anyone else's hair. Here, chew on this, type of thing.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
They do not want the Palestinians to leave Gaza and run to the Arab states for a place to stay.

The last time that happened with the PLO, the visiting Palestinians created trouble/unrest and were kicked out.

The Arabs nations that run a type "class" ship do not need the "unwashed masses" to infect the general population.

Putting the money into Gaza to rebuild the area is worthwhile in a to attempt to keep the Palestinians feeling that some one cares.

Got to Asia, Africa, Europe, or anywhere else where sudden mass migration has occured and all you have posted is pretty much true. The Nation getting the Immigrants don't want them, the Immigrants are angry and cause trouble/unrest...yaddayaddaya.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
Sorry I have trouble buying that the Saudis are humanitarians. There is always a hidden agenda, it isn't anything conspiracy-like it is just that governments act out of self interest and that is natural. Especially tyrannical authoritarian governments.

I tend to like the reply above about placating Palestinians to keep them out of anyone else's hair. Here, chew on this, type of thing.

Do you deny the fact that Saudis do all they realistically can do for Palestinians? Or are you just so caught up in your own selfish motives that you insist on protecting them on others regardless?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Even as someone asking for fairness to Palestinians, I have to somewhat agree that Arab states are somewhat cynically using the Palestinian plight to feather their own nests. And to blunt any calls for internal reforms, those Arab leaders can point to the Palestinians and say, are you not glad that you live here and not there where things are ever so much worse.

But with an estimated 1.4 billion in damage to Gaza, Arab governments and private charities seem ready to pony up the cash, and as a likely result, a flood of supplies and material will go to Gaza through various routes. Making detection of smuggled in arms and weapons more difficult for Israel. And somewhat the real question will become, if at some point in time, Hamas or other groups inside of Gaza start again firing missiles into Israel, will the larger Arab world repeat its mistake of leaving Gaza toothless? As we saw in the three year ago Israeli incursion into Lebanon, Hezbollah had some rather effective weapons able to damage and disable State of the arts Israeli tanks and the training to use them. But when Israel moved its tanks into Gaza in its recent offensive, Hamas had nothing to fight tanks with.

Only time will tell.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
It's only an issue to those who feel they have to deflect the discussion in this thread, which is about the contributions of countries in the ME for Gaza reconstruction. If you want to go on one of your anti-US rants, start your own thread

No, I'll point out the hypocrisy you have in your demands that others behave far better than you are willing to insist your own side behaves. You have no standing to ask for it.

It's not an anti-US rant - it's the facts you can't deal with so you try to attack them with that label. Youare the one who's anti-US< trying to turn our nation into a monster.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
It's only an issue to those who feel they have to deflect the discussion in this thread, which is about the contributions of countries in the ME for Gaza reconstruction. If you want to go on one of your anti-US rants, start your own thread

No, I'll point out the hypocrisy you have in your demands that others behave far better than you are willing to insist your own side behaves. You have no standing to ask for it.

It's not an anti-US rant - it's the facts you can't deal with so you try to attack them with that label. Youare the one who's anti-US< trying to turn our nation into a monster.
After the tsunami hit Sri Lanka I hope no US aid went to the Tamil Tigers. But you know what? US aid, Sri Lanka, nor the Tamil Tigers are the subjects of this thread. What part of you doesn't comprehend that fact?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Lemon law
And somewhat the real question will become, if at some point in time, Hamas or other groups inside of Gaza start again firing missiles into Israel, will the larger Arab world repeat its mistake of leaving Gaza toothless?

So you think that if the only Arab nations cared more about Palestinians they would be doing more to fan the flames of war? You apparently don't understand this conflict well enough to see how flagrantly counterproductive that would be, but I assure you that the Arab nations do.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006

What is makes it so difficult to accept this reality?
Egypt, Saudis are staunt allies of the US and Israel, and they didn't reject the bombing of Gaza till the death tolds start to rise. I'm still skeptical of the Saudis, because they has been known like any other countries to be in it for the money.

I'm looking for the strings that attacth to money.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Egypt gets billions in US aid every year for the US to keep their crappy dictatorship oppressing the Egyptian people who are appalled by Israel's conquest over Palestine. There is the money trail behind that.

The Saudis on the other hand don't need any money, but they don't have the power to free Palestinians from Israel either, so they are left trying to make the best of a bad situation. Of course the Saudi people equally appalled Israel's conquest over Palestine, so that leads to some brutal oppression of them as well, but the constant flow of aid to Palestinians does help sooth the Saudi masses.

I get the strong impression that the only thing you are missing here is what I am referring to as Israel's conquest over Palestine. Please take an hour and a half of your time to watch this documentary which will give you a reasonable grasp of what all those people are appalled over:

http://video.google.com/videop...d=-2451908450811690589

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
Egypt gets billions in US aid every year for the US to keep their crappy dictatorship oppressing the Egyptian people who are appalled by Israel's conquest over Palestine. There is the money trail behind that.

The Saudis on the other hand don't need any money, but they don't have the power to free Palestinians from Israel either, so they are left trying to make the best of a bad situation. Of course the Saudi people equally appalled Israel's conquest over Palestine, so that leads to some brutal oppression of them as well, but the constant flow of aid to Palestinians does help sooth the Saudi masses.

I get the strong impression that the only thing you are missing here is what I am referring to as Israel's conquest over Palestine. Please take an hour and a half of your time to watch this documentary which will give you a reasonable grasp of what all those people are appalled over:

http://video.google.com/videop...d=-2451908450811690589
I do sympathy with the plight of the Palestinian.

However, my question is what the Saudi interest with Palestinian and the only thing that I have found so far is oil/Wahhabi.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Of course they want to promote their religious doctrines, but how are you pulling oil into this?