All of you who want to hang 9-11 on Bush, I have a question or two

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002

1) Are you satisfied now with the president's actions against the terrorist? Don't answer with "He should have stopped it, man." That's over with, nothing can be done to change that. I want to know if you are thankful that he responded to 9-11 with force. Better late than never if you know what I mean.

2) Do you think Al Gore could have prevented 9-11? I think some people believe Bush didn't do enough to stop 9-11. I wonder if people honestly think Al Gore could have done a better job, and why you think so.

3) Do you think Al Gore would have gone after the terrorist after 9-11?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: friedpie
1) Are you satisfied now with the president's actions against the terrorist? Don't answer with "He should have stopped it, man." That's over with, nothing can be done to change that. I want to know if you are thankful that he responded to 9-11 with force. Better late than never if you know what I mean.

2) Do you think Al Gore could have prevented 9-11? I think some people believe Bush didn't do enough to stop 9-11. I wonder if people honestly think Al Gore could have done a better job, and why you think so.

No.
Maybe.
Yes.

I was generally satisfied with Bush's actions in Afghanistan. I think Bush screwed up when he shifted his sights to Iraq. That's when we began losing the war on terrorism. That's when we moved from a clear and justifiable campaign to a illegitimate, rudderless quagmire. There is no evidence Iraq had any connection whatsoever to 9/11. The is no evidence Iraq had any significant connection to al Qaeda. There is no evidence Bush's motives with respect to Iraq had anything to do with terrorism -- or WMDs for that matter.

Gore might have prevented 9/11 if he had been more attentive to the intelligence information about possible terrorist activities in the U.S. There is strong anecdotal evidence that the Bush administration was warned a 9/11-style attack was imminent. They chose to do absolutely nothing about it, e.g., increasing security at airports. One can only specualte why the Bush administration ignored these warnings. One can only speculate whether a Gore administration would have handled it any better.

Sure, because the Republican stereotype of Gore is nonsense. Given that the plans mostly came from the Pentagon, Gore's response would probably been about the same as Bush's. Gore would NOT have become distracted by Iraq, however. Therefore, Gore's "War on Terror" would have been more effective than Bush's.

IMO, of course.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

No
Irrelevant
Irrelevant

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Bigdude
Clinton is the cause of 9-11, he let Bin Laden escape 3 times!

Maybe not the only cause, but definitely a big cause.

Yes.
No.
No.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: BOBDN

No
Irrelevant
Irrelevant

Why?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Tabb
Originally posted by: BOBDN

No
Irrelevant
Irrelevant

Why?

Bush wasted the empathy the world felt for the USA after 9/11. I am not happy with Bush's response to terrorism since his invasion of Iraq took the focus OFF of terrorism (since Iraq had NO ties with terrorists) and we are now wasting our resources, both manpower and dollars, to rebuild a nation we didn't need to invade in the first place. Bush went into Afghanistan and did NOT get JOB ONE DONE. Osama bin Laden is still free, not "dead or alive." Bush was as usual all talk.

Now Bush is reneging on the promise to rebuild Afghanistan partly because he rushed into Iraq and can barely afford to maintain THAT unnecessary operation. Now Afghanistan is becoming what it was before the USA attacked. A producer of heroin and terrorism.

Bush's war on terror isn't all talk and NO action. Bush's war on terror is all talk and WRONG action. The Bush administration used the attacks of 9/11 to advance their own radical political agenda. Our rights are under attack. Our economy is in ruins. Our credibility around the world has been destroyed. We are mired in an occupation that will take years to finish at the cost of hundreds or possibly thousands of American lives and hundreds of billions of dollars.

Any conjecture on what might have happened if Gore won is just that, conjecture.

We don't need to waste time talking about "what if" when we know "what is." Don't obfuscate the issue with conjecture about what if Gore was president.

Bush is in the White House. His administration screwed this up all by themselves. Gore wasn't involved in the ridiculous, irresponsible, unnecessary invasion of Iraq. That was all Bush. Gore didn't turn our huge economic surplus into a huge deficit. That was all Bush. Gore didn't push through two massive irresponsible tax cuts which favored the wealthiest Americans at the price of our economic security and jobs. That was all Bush.

Nine million Americans are out of work right now all due to the Bush administration's mis-handling of our economy.

Gore didn't ignore the intel warnings before 9/11 that was all Bush.

Gore didn't hand no bid contracts to the company his vice president headed to rebuild a nation he invaded unnecessarily. That was all Bush.

The Bush administration has been a disaster for America.

Stop trying to change the focus by bringing up "what if" about an election that was stolen by the people who now, after stealing selection 2000 have ruined our nation.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: daniel1113

Maybe not the only cause, but definitely a big cause.

Yes.
No.
No.

Clearing up the Clinton record once and for all...

"Overall I give them very high marks," says former Reagan Counter-terrorism official Robert Oakley on Clinton administration's handling of terrorism.
Paul Bremer said, the Clinton administration had "correctly focused on bin Laden."

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

LOL! Have we caught Bin Laden under George Bush Jr yet?

I rest my case.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

1.No.
2.Yes.
3.Yes.

Questions 2&3 aren't relevant at all, but I would like to live in the alternative reality where Gore was elected president. Because I would be employed, the air would be cleaner, whackos like John Ashcroft wouldnt be limiting my civil rights and I wouldn't be scared to travel in planes.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Bush presided over one of the biggest security failures in our nation's history. I firmly place the blame on the shoulders of the Bush administration as well as our various intel orgs who were apparently lulled into complacency or just asleep at the switch.

Yes, when Bush went into Afghanistan, I was all for it. I was behind many of the smaller operations too. The ongoing ops in the Philippines seemed like a very good idea. But Bush took a wrong turn into Iraq. He blew it by taking his eyes off the prize. OBL is STILL out there. We've diverted valuable resources and troops in Iraq. What a colossal mistake.

Who knows what Gore would or would not have done. It's pure speculation. I do think Gore would have gone to Afghanistan. He probably would have worked through the UN on Iraq.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001

Had Gore become President, he would probably have most of the same advisers that Clinton had. Clinton was about ready to attack Bin Laden in late 2000, he didn't because he didn't want the new administration to inherit a war. Clinton did not ignore the warnings, Bush did.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) No, I'm not satisfied with Bush's actions against terror. I am glad when we went into Afghanistan but he shifted our attention over to Iraq which had no involvement with 9/11. When Bin Laden disappeared, he needed another person to vilify.

2) Yes, see above. Gore knew not to ignore Bin Laden.

3) Yes, I don't see how anyone would not go after a group that launched a major attack on us.