All of a sudden I want to play minecraft: Closed Map Experiment

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Something like this should be made into the game design as a game mode and I'd probably play Minecraft again.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I don't understand why wood would be so valuable so early on.

The trees in the game grows very fast so it's a unlimited resource as one tree produces multiple saplings.

Or how the merchants stay alive as griefing would had destroyed it easily unless the admin enforced the "treaties".

Also why other people didn't use the elevator to grief the floating area.

Last edited:

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The idiot who wrote that and "conducted" the "experiment" is trying to make a political statement by alleging that Minecraft is an analog to real life. He's saying "since they raped the world in Minecraft, people will rape the world in real life."

He's a fucking dumbass.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The idiot who wrote that and "conducted" the "experiment" is trying to make a political statement by alleging that Minecraft is an analog to real life. He's saying "since they raped the world in Minecraft, people will rape the world in real life."

He's a fucking dumbass.

If that's true (can't read it now) then yeah... dumbass. I think we're finding out pretty quickly that people are jackasses online because there's no true repurcussions. To think that people do exactly the same thing in video game that they'd do in real life is absurd.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
If that's true (can't read it now) then yeah... dumbass. I think we're finding out pretty quickly that people are jackasses online because there's no true repurcussions. To think that people do exactly the same thing in video game that they'd do in real life is absurd.

Yeah, going by this logic, if I was doing for real what I've done in video games I would have murdered the entire US country by now after playing Team Fortress and Battlefield.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Yeah, going by this logic, if I was doing for real what I've done in video games I would have murdered the entire US country by now after playing Team Fortress and Battlefield.

There was that time I set a fire, caused a hurricane, and then released a giant monster after playing Simcity2000.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
There was that time I set a fire, caused a hurricane, and then released a giant monster after playing Simcity2000.

Kind of like that time I tore up all the streets in my town and replaced them with railroad tracks.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

He's a fucking dumbass.
I thought it was a neat experiment but yeah, I did get a feeling that he was drawing a parallel to real life. FAIL at that, in my opinion.