All Laser printers emit Ozone?

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
I was reading through the starter guide of a Canon printer, and on page 5, its says this:

Ozone from the Unit
Although ozone is generated from the machine during operation, it does not have any affect on the human body. However, if you intend to use the machine for long periods of time, ensure that the installation location is well ventilated for a comfortable working environment.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300008215/03/D560_D530_STARTER_en-us_R_2.pdf

I have not heard of this before, but is this something all laser printers do or just ones from Canon? Are there others that don't emit ozone? I am interested in a laser printer to use at home, so I don't know if that could be considered "well ventilated."

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Laser printers use high voltage to apply an electrostatic charge to the imaging drum. Manipulating the charge causes the toner to stick to the drum. The toner is then transferred and fused to the paper.

The ozone is a byproduct of the high voltage.

If you are worried about ozone, don't sit next to the printer when you are printing out 'War and Peace'.

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
lol, War and peace. :D

But does this apply to all laser printers or has technology changed? I mean I would rather get one that doesn't emit it. Its strange though, the Canon manual mentions it, but I don't see it in the Brother manual I looked at.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Yes. This is why I only turn on my laser when I need to use it. Otherwise, it stays off. It affected me by causing a runny nose if left on for as long time.

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
I found some more info on the subject, this time from HP:

http://www.ucop.edu/risk-services/_files/bsas/safetymeetings/ozonefrprinters.pdf

NOTE:
The HP LaserJet IIP, IIP Plus, and IIIP series printers generate ozone emissions far below 0.1 parts per million while printing. The HP LaserJet IIISi, 4, and 4M series printers do not emit ozone at any time. The reason is that none of these printers have corona wires.

Looks like they have been doing some studies on these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10957818

I wonder how much the printers without the corona wire cost and if what technology those are using.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
How many emissions are being caused in sleep mode?
There should basically be zero emissions (at least by rational standards), in sleep mode. Frankly, unless you're printing high volumes in a tightly insulated, poorly ventilated enclosed area and you live out in truly rural countryside (and rarely if ever drive a car), you're way overthinking this considering how often you're exposed to much worse atmospheric pollutants on a daily basis…

Last edited:

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I think CRT monitors did too, but it's been a while.
(I could well be wrong, but) I think you need actual arcing (in open air) to generate ozone, don't you? CRTs generated crazy amounts of static electricity, but I don't remember ever smelling ozone...

Last edited:

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Yes, laser printers do generate ozone, I noticed in recent years that many companies are switching to ink printers and all-in-ones as replacement for laser printers and copiers, respectively. I suspect it's just because of the ozone, because laser office gear is technically superior to ink based in every way, yet it is also more expensive.
In my mother's job, there was copier room next to her office in size of less than 40 sq ft that had 3 copiers inside, after one day the air in there was really gross, it smelled like someone was burning electronic stuff in there for a week. And the air blown from copiers' vents was really hot and felt very dry. In this sense technology hasn't really changed, because my much newer laser printer just emit it at the same level.
I guess if they are sold to people they must be safe for general use, as long as the room with printer is frequently ventilated there is nothing to be worried about.

Jahanzaib.khan

Mar 27, 2017
There is a specific odor transmitted when laser printers are being used. It's ozone, the "unstable natural substance" recognized in these reviews. In generally high fixations over 1 ppm, it can make bothering eyes, nose, throat and lungs. . It is fascinating to note that ozone is in charge of the breaking found in old auto tires.