All in Wonder or GF4 4200 VIVO

Binox

Oct 19, 2001
I have the GeForce 2 GTS 32mb DDR

I'm moving out and need a TV or video in to use computer as TV
I want fast 3d gaming power!!
but I also want excellent analog image quality like Matrox (don't want the blurry text from nvidia) for my 21" monitor

I was thinking Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200 because it has VIVO... if I were to get this I'd have to do the modification in order to remove the low pass filters to let thru all the high frequencies to improve my image quality... here are links for those who don't understand:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1577&p=5
http://www.geocities.com/porotuner/imagequality.html
This way, I would get TV in, fast speeds, plus good image quality

Other solution would be the ATI all in wonder Radeon 8500 with 128mb (the one that runs at full speed)
with this card, I believe that image quality is better then nvidia, in which case I wouldn't have to remove any filters... does anyone know about image quality on these all in wonder cards?
and obviously, it supports tv in... an added bonus, I get the tv tuner and remote...
and speeds are alright on the 8500...

so which card do you think I should go for?
but I don't know for sure if the low pass filter mod is doable on the Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200... does anyone know?
cause if it is, then the decision is clear, I'm getting the 4200... otherwise, I need good image so I'm going for ATI...

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Personally I'd go with the R8500 because I don't think it's worth voiding your warranty and potentially damaging the card, if the card ever dies your screwed b/c you modified it.

Plus ATi's VIVO capabilities are a bit more advanced then nVidia, and you'll get more features on the AIW then just the basic VIVO.
Given that at 275/275 the AIW R8500 isnt terribly much slower then Ti4200 I'd go for it.

The big point IMHO is why bother killing your warranty unnecessarily?

Binox

Oct 19, 2001
I think Rand may be right...

this will probably be my choice.. but I'm somewhat confused about the analog output on the ATI...

some people say that the image quality on matrox and ati is way better because they can be more strict about the kind of low pass filters they put on the cards, whereas nvidia's quality is poor...

then again, some people will compare nvidia and ATI, and put matrox apart...
meaning that even with ATI I might need to remove the low pass filters??

does somebody have an opinion on this? is ATI good, do I have to remove filters on ATI aswell?
in which case, I would go for GF4 because if I'm voiding my warranty, then might aswell go for the faster card..

or if ATI and nvidia both are poor quality, and don't want to remove filters, maybe I should get matrox...
would that be any good?

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
is ATI good, do I have to remove filters on ATI aswell?

Never heard of anyone wanting to do that before with an ATI card, My AIW 7500 has what I would consider excellent 2D IQ with my 22" Mitsu @ 1600X1200, I would think the AIW 8500 is excellent as well.

Binox

Oct 19, 2001
ok, in that case I guess I'll get the ATI all in wonder 8500 128mb

but does anyone else have experience using ATI products on 21" or larger monitors at 1600 x 1200 85hz or above resolutions?

cause on my GF2 GTS it's pretty bad.. text is pretty blurry, and I want something clear...

niggles

Jan 10, 2002
Wow... I guess if money is not an issue then go for the ATI... personally I bought an ATI and yes the Vid is better, and Yes you can get a remote but the cost difference is pretty big. I'd go with a 4200, deal with the 'blurry' text (i don't think it's as bad as all that) and get an X10 remote for the TV.
Do you really have that much of a blur on the 4200?

Binox

Oct 19, 2001
niggles - I don't have 4200, but I'm planning on getting one, either that or 8500

but the 4200 is nvidia, and nvidia is know for having poor analog video output, ie: 1600x1200 85hz will have blurry text

in fact, I have the geforce 2 gts, and it is really bad..

this is why, I don't want to buy a new video card with this problem...

basically, I wanna know if anyone here has a gf4 ti, and a 21" monitor running at 1600x1200 85hz or above resolutions, and if it looks clear or not...

Cydewayz

Jul 1, 2002
All the ti4200's that Anand reviewed all have "very good" image quality @ 1600x1200 85hz.

Binox

Oct 19, 2001
so then you think the quality is good enough on the gainward 4200 with vivo?

in which case I guess this would be a better option since it's cheaper and faster...
but I'm not convinced, I think ATI is better product..

anyone else have more to say about this?