All-In-One printer/scanner/copier

Discussion in 'Peripherals' started by pontifex, Nov 4, 2012.

1. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

I have a an older Canon Pixma MP500 all-in-one printer and I need to use it on at least 2 computers, maybe 3 in the house. It is USB only so if I want to use it on different PCs, I have to move it and plug it in.

Now, I have a router that has USB ports and will work as a print server and I got it printing via the network but I also need to be able to scan. I cannot scan this way because I guess it can't find the scanner driver or something? I guess it can't tell that the scanner is on the network.

Is there a way to get to to work over the network or do I need to buy a networked printer?

If i have to get a networked prnter, can anyone recommend an all in one printer that has either wireless or an rj45 port, but isn't very expensive? Like less than $75.

2. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

Lexmark S315 @ $58
    Lexmark S415 @ $79, if you need the document feeder

3. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Have you tried installing the AIO printer as a network deviced in EACH computer? Each machine will access it through the network, but they each will have the necessary drivers, especially for scanning.

4. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

hmm....i went to test it again to tell you what the error was and it actually worked this time.

so i guess I don't need a new printer.

5. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

#5 funboy6942, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012