All G-Sync and FreeSync monitors. Out and upcoming.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flynnsk

Sep 24, 2005
a very good deal on the Samsung UE590 (28" 4K UHD TN) @ Amazon and Bestbuy , this weekend @ $450 ..
Even bette was a Woot deal of refurbed UE590 @ 369 !!!

Freesync range is a bit limited (40-60hz) but overall a great display. I had one for just about 2 months.. would have kept except for the god awful joystick/OSD. Switching between inputs.. (DP -> HDMI) took like 4 key presses. I do a LOT of work over multiple pcs and often switch between pcs. One REALLY nice feature I liked is when you did PBP.. you had choice of full rez just downscaled OR (best) is half resolution.. for example could have two 1920x2160 side by side.

The Dell, had a problem with PBP and would try to show the full resolution swished in a "half (like trying to show 3840x2160 in 1920x2160 , or in case of 1440.. trying to put a 3440x1440 picture in a 1720 x1440 wide space)

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
55 inch monitor with freesync? Now I'm getting hopeful this tech will make it into all hdtvs someday lol.... must dial back expectations....

Too bad not available in the US, I would probably buy that and use it in conjunction with my projector. projector tv/movies, freesync monitor for gaming at 4K.

If Freesync only makes it into bigscreen monitors that are 50 inch + and gsync doesn't, then there is no reason for me to ever consider nvidia ever again.

65 inch model is also announced... I had hoped Freesync would get into big models. I had prayed even. I hadn't expected my prayers to be answered this quickly.

Last edited:

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Can we please keep this thread only about the models that are out for sale ? (Or are announced). Thanks.

flynnsk

Sep 24, 2005
Can we please keep this thread only about the models that are out for sale ? (Or are announced). Thanks.

see:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37625590&postcount=58

Asus MG278Q ROG Dominator
2560 x 1400 TN 8 bit panel 144hz

Conflicting reports on Freesync range: Kitguru reports 35-144, Hexus says 40-144.

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG278Q-Gaming-Monitor/

Also couple more Korean displays announced/upcoming:

WasabiUHD490
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37612688&postcount=50

Wasabi Mango UHD650 Real4K HDMI 2.0 3D
(same feature set as the 490 so good to keep an eye on for freesync update)

**I understand your concern about availability.. however they are for the most part MORE available than other "big brands", either on ebay or Amazon.
For example the Samsung 32" 4K is only available from ONE UK source, where as several korean displays are available on UK and US amazon and NewEgg.. and FREE Shipping is the norm, the is no "have (having) to import them from Asia yourself."**

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
see:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37625590&postcount=58

Asus MG278Q ROG Dominator
2560 x 1400 TN 8 bit panel 144hz

Conflicting reports on Freesync range: Kitguru reports 35-144, Hexus says 40-144.

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG278Q-Gaming-Monitor/

Also couple more Korean displays announced/upcoming:

WasabiUHD490
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37612688&postcount=50

Wasabi Mango UHD650 Real4K HDMI 2.0 3D
(same feature set as the 490 so good to keep an eye on for freesync update)

**I understand your concern about availability.. however they are for the most part MORE available than other "big brands", either on ebay or Amazon.
For example the Samsung 32" 4K is only available from ONE UK source, where as several korean displays are available on UK and US amazon and NewEgg.. and FREE Shipping is the norm, the is no "have (having) to import them from Asia yourself."**

None of the eBay brands are AMD FreeSync Certified. The only AMD FreeSync Certified are on AMD's website which they updated recently. So these eBay brands may have adaptive-sync that can work with AMD cards and FreeSync drivers, but the scalars and/or panels they are using may not have pass FreeSync certification or not even allowed to use the FreeSync branding due to trademarks.

Those big screens are more of TV panel types and not really made for PC use. If they were - LG, Samsung, Asus, Dell, etc would be selling monitors at those sizes and resolutions.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
None of the eBay brands are AMD FreeSync Certified. The only AMD FreeSync Certified are on AMD's website which they updated recently. So these eBay brands may have adaptive-sync that can work with AMD cards and FreeSync drivers, but the scalars and/or panels they are using may not have pass FreeSync certification or not even allowed to use the FreeSync branding due to trademarks.

Those big screens are more of TV panel types and not really made for PC use. If they were - LG, Samsung, Asus, Dell, etc would be selling monitors at those sizes and resolutions.

PCpers already reviewed and tested these panels and CONFIRMED they work. There is also a MASSIVE thread on MULTIPLE other forums of people using these monitors, as well as others with NO issues. So I would HOPE anandtech would also include these panels as we're enthusiasts are we not? Or did the enthusiast crowd leave and is it people who only do what the manufacturers tell us to now?

Lol at the "not made for PC use". Just because LG, Samsung, Dell, Asus aren't doing it doesn't mean SOMEONE else isn't. Someone has to do it first, and it isn't always an established player.

Open your mind beyond the established norm you've already set for yourself.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Wasabi-Mango-UHD420-42-4K-FreeSync-and-HDMI-20-800

The Pcper review, I can link you to a TON more information on this since I've been obsessed with the possibility of a large screen Freesync monitor for a LONG Time now. The fact that the 65 inch model is finally coming out.... Yes... Yes... Yessss !!!!!!!!

You can be happy gaming on those small monitors though.

BTW, I don't think any of those companies had 80 inch 1080p monitors out. Yet there were 70-80 inch monitors out for 1080p too. So you should read up and realize there are other things beyond what those few players put out by other companies.
----

Short Version:
Read up on what you're talking about before claiming monitors don't work with FReesync when it's a widely tested fact by countless users.

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
The whole point of the open standard is that one day we won't need any branding like Freesync, stuff will just work and be taken for granted. If these eBay monitors already work great today without any official certification that's good news for all of us.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
The whole point of the open standard is that one day we won't need any branding like Freesync, stuff will just work and be taken for granted. If these eBay monitors already work great today without any official certification that's good news for all of us.
Agreed we shouldn't be sucked into a standard ideally I could get this monitor and any gpu. But I'm ok with a fury+uhd650

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
http://4k.com/monitor/a-review-of-the-lg-27mu67-b-27-class-4k-uhd-ips-led-monitor/

Not a particularly comprehensive review, but 4K+IPS+Freesync from LG. $600

Next, there is AMD’s FreeSync technology, which has been built into the 27MU67-B 27’s DisplayPort 1.2 settings. AMD FreeSync --designed to work with higher-end AMD gaming GPUs and particularly the company’s 4K-ready gaming GPUs—is designed to minimize rearing and stuttering on the screen by synchronizing display frame rates with those of your PC’s graphics card. The result is fluid movement even at heavy gaming resolutions and settings. FreeSync in the 27MU67-B 27 puts this specific model a high cut above most 4K PC displays as a choice for 4K and even HD gamers.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

That's a pretty slick looking monitor!
ViewSonic-XG3401-1.jpg

ViewSonic-XG3401-2.jpg

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Added the Asus FreeSync equivalent (MG278) of the popular ROG version. (Can't believe I forgot that one. :))
Added the Mango Wasabi UHD490.
Added the ViewSonic XG3401.

Slightly changed the (*) text of the imported monitor. Those monitors are not available in my country. And Amazon doesn't sell hardware in my country (only books). And there are no product-pages in English. More than enough reason to keep them separate. If a vendor wants to sell its products to me, they have to put in a little more effort.

Moved 3 Samsung monitors, a BenQ and an Asus FreeSync monitor from announced to released. If any of you know when an announced monitor becomes available, please let us know. Also missing information, like color-depth, is welcome. TIA.

Last edited:

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I actually have a 434k, with a firmware that lists Freesync. What would be the best way to go about testing it to make sure it's actually working and not just a useless menu item?

stuff_me_good

Nov 2, 2013
Not a single VA freesync monitor available now or in the future and only one VA G-sync monitor. The future look really dim in my view. I just don't understand why people praise IPS over VA? The higher sRGB color gamut of IPS just doesn't compensate overall lackluster contrast and black levels. :(

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Not a single VA freesync monitor available now or in the future and only one VA G-sync monitor. The future look really dim in my view. I just don't understand why people praise IPS over VA? The higher sRGB color gamut of IPS just doesn't compensate overall lackluster contrast and black levels. :(

Couldnt agree more. IPS circlejerking has reached hysteric levels. IPS isn't that great. The black levels absolutely suck, and IPS glow ruins any game which relies on having darkness (any stealth game, Metro 2033 + LL, h1z1, and on and on). If the choice is between a TN @ 60hz for the exact same price as IPS @ 60hz then sure go for the IPS. But id rather take VA if I'm going to spend good money, or a very fast TN if I'm looking for a hardcore gaming monitor.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Acer's Predator Z35 should be out within 4 weeks. It's a 35" widescreen 144Hz VA-monitor with G-Sync.

First of its kind. Some are bashing it because it's only 2560x1080. But I don't care. It's (almost) the same pixel-per-inch as a 27" 1080p monitor. (Which I am using right now). High resolution is nice, but it comes with a price. I rather have more eyecandy than higher resolution. Better AA, better shadows, HBAO+, more foilage, further viewdistance, more NPCs on screen, more tesselation, etc.

BenQ has a monitor out already with the same screen. But no G-Sync (nor Adaptive Sync).

If the Z35 is a good monitor, I expect it will sell well. That might open the eyes of other manufacturers, and they might start building more VA gaming monitors.

If not, I'll keep using my current old TN 1080p monitor. It's good enough for now. I will not pay 800 or 1000+ euros for an IPS screen (or TN screen) that doesn't do what I want. I've tried the XB270HU, and I found the IPS-glow to be terrible. Unacceptable. My hope is now for the Z35.

Brottochstraff

Aug 27, 2015
Im reallt waiting for some simple G-Sync monitor with out any crazy design. Clean minimalistic design, IPS panel, 1080p 24" or 1440p if its 27", not curved. Kind of like the Dell U2414H but with Gsync. I dont want those "Gaming" monstrosity on my desk, it does not fit in to my home :(

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
When Gsync monitors first came out, all I remember seeing were people complaining and asking for IPS variants. Now we have IPS variants and people think they suck. Now we want VA variants. Can we just skip the whole "VA sucks" era and go straight to the OLED era?

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
When Gsync monitors first came out, all I remember seeing were people complaining and asking for IPS variants. Now we have IPS variants and people think they suck. Now we want VA variants. Can we just skip the whole "VA sucks" era and go straight to the OLED era?

You lump everyone into the same group. I've never been one of the circlejerkers for IPS, ever, and never will be.

But OLED should be awesome when it hits on monitors. IMO the best FreeSync release for gaming so far is the Nixeus model because it has 30-144 and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, just $330~. When the options are $700+ it makes more sense to buy a simple 144hz screen without adaptive sync tech and use the pile of leftover cash to buy more GPU power to hit 144hz.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
You lump everyone into the same group. I've never been one of the circlejerkers for IPS, ever, and never will be.

But OLED should be awesome when it hits on monitors. IMO the best FreeSync release for gaming so far is the Nixeus model because it has 30-144 and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, just $330~. When the options are $700+ it makes more sense to buy a simple 144hz screen without adaptive sync tech and use the pile of leftover cash to buy more GPU power to hit 144hz.

Well I didn't mean everyone. And as far as I can tell, Gsync didn't add much to my experience. 99% of the glory goes to high hz/fps.

flynnsk

Sep 24, 2005
Data on the Viewsonic XG3401 (1440 curved 21:9 Freesync)

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen10534.html

Manufacturer: ViewSonic
Database entry after: 07/28/2015

Panel Technology: IPS
Glossy panel: no
Screen Size: 34 (inch)
Pixel Error Class: 2
Pixel Pitch: 0,232 mm
Response Time (g-2-g): 4 ms
Native Resolution: 3440 x 1440

Brightness: 300 cd/qm
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Viewing Angle 10:1 (v): 178°
Viewing Angle 10:1 (h): 178°
Color depth: 16,70 Mio.

Input Video Signal: DisplayPort (digital)
DisplayPort (digital)
HDMI (digital)
HDMI (digital)
Inputs (quantity): 4
HDCP: yes
S-Video Input: no
Base (swiveling): no
Base (height adjustment): no
Display slanting: yes
Pivotable: no
Speakers: yes
USB-Hub: yes