All bittorrent clients crash on my computer

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
For the past month or so, no matter what I am doing on my computer, any bittorrent program I use crashes within seconds of running and downloading files. I don't quite know what to do.. I've fooled around with my router, turned off all firewalls.. virus scanners... they all just close without any sort of error message.

Cheetah8799

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2001
re-install Windows? Maybe try a re-install on a spare hard drive to see what happens at least.

edit: ya, it's drastic, but it sounds like you tried a lot of things and there probably isn't much folks here can do without sitting down at your PC and messing with it. You could also look for new network card and other device drivers and see if that helps.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Well I do have Windows on one partition with everything else on another, so reinstalling Windows shouldn't be too much of a hassle, but certainly a last resort. But then again, I've run out of things I can try..

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Well so far reinstalling Windows seems to have done the trick!

EDIT: Just now as I posted, utorrent crashed!

narcotic

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2004
I know it might sound weird but you might have RAM related issue.
Some bittorrent clients are heavy on the RAM, and maybe your RAM isn't stable enough to handle it. If its not the RAM it could be many other hardware devices (even HDD).
You have to run a through test. I suggest starting with memtest or super-pi.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Memtest and superpi ran fine for long and multiple tests... I tried out using the BitTorrent client from www.bittorrent.com and oddly enough it hasn't crashed. I don't know why everything else is..

Jan 31, 2002
My money's on "Your network card is garbage."

Are you using something onboard like an SiS/Realtek, or do you have an Intel/Broadcom-based chip?

- M4H

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
My money's on you are trying to download naughty things and deserve to have it crash on you.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I'm using the built in ethernet adapter on my evga mobo... the BitTorrent.com client is still working....

narcotic

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2004
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
My money's on "Your network card is garbage."

Are you using something onboard like an SiS/Realtek, or do you have an Intel/Broadcom-based chip?

- M4H

I agree that network adapter might brake just like any other piece of hardware, but since I don't think that's what you meant, I've gotta ask wtf are you talking about?
I've been using Realtek onboard cards for ~6 years now, and so far had zero problems with them.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
You said you've "fooled" with your router, have you completely removed it from your setup and tried running a single computer directly to your modem. Try that and set off several BT seeds in an attempt to crash. Many, many BT issues lie between the router and the network card. I don't remember the exact specifics on why.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Unfortantly I haven't been able to remove the router yet.. maybe I can some time soon, but it is being shared with a lot of people, both wired and wirelessly, for the time.