Alienware.com?

MrCadaver

Jan 4, 2001
Ok, I'm not gonna flame you, but listen up: NOT EVERYBODY CAN OR WANTS TO BUILD A COMPUTER!! I am completely capable of building a computer, but when I was about to go away to school and needed a computer quick (no time to wait for seperate parts and assembly), I bought a FalconNW Talon. I calculated for each part what I could have payed seperately, and I spent about $200 extra over building it myself. The point is, you can't assume that just because somebody wants a fast capable stable computer, they 1) have the knowledge to buy wisely and build correctly, and 2) want to go without tech support or full warranty on the pc. So just back off.

Angst

Jan 31, 2001
GamePC

Whatever it is, if you have enough time, building it yourself is always recommended. First, it's usually not that difficult, second, you gain a sense of you made a finished product, and third, the more hardware you're exposed to, the less technologically inept you become.

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dont go with Alienware of Falcon-NW while the components they use are top notch I bought one and the only thing I dont regret buying was the TNT1 and a 19" monitor ($900 at the time).

MrCadaver

Jan 4, 2001
Still, the point remains that while building your own is preferable, it's not the best answer for EVERYONE. And if he wasn't insinuating that he build his own instead, then what? Buy a Dell? No, I'm pretty sure his point was that buying a pre-assembled computer was inane, and for SOME people, it's not.

MrCadaver

Jan 4, 2001
And Finality, how about giving us some reasons? Great, so even though it was top notch components, you didn't like it. WHY? Frankly, I am satisfied with my FalconNW, even though I would have preferred to build my own, and have already made major upgrades (contemplaing a new mobo at the moment), and will build my next pc. Go to www.falconfanpage.com and see how many satisfied customers there are.

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've already been through this a year or so ago.

But basically there top notch quality service was not top notch. One of my V2s came fried (the text unit) the G200 they gave me was faulty and there service was not what I would expect to get for the money I paid.

Basically they are overpriced with FalconNW being more so. Looking back I was stupid to have wasted my money on one of these machines. I could have paid about $1000 less and gotten a similar machine from Dell.

There so called 'system tweaks' are total BS. Its just what your power based user can do/ "ooo look we enabled DMA" So yes the $1000 extra you paid was for us to enable DMA.

gg

Packet

Apr 24, 2000
I would go with Dell or Alienware

even if afew people have had bad problems with Alienware, the same thing happens in the automotive industry. Every once in a while, someone is going to have bad luck.

Dell is nice because they are a huge company and you know the support will be there, plus you can pick out each part to your system yourself.

Alienware is nice because they do some alot of things that the big companys won't do. (While back they had systems with a geforce and a v3 for glide). Plus again, you can design the system yourself.

rommel

Banned
Jan 23, 2001
yeah actually if you have any time at all and want to learn more about your pc...upgrading then building is a really great idea.....i previously owned a motel for 22 years...sold it and am now kinda retired....i have ordered a few A+certification guides and have changed my mobo and video card modem blah blah blah...exchanged heat sinks played with over clocking...every thing you do teaches you something and i am convinced that its not the speed its the tinkering that keeps every one doing this...i am having a good time anyway....lol...BUILD IT YOURSELF

peemo

Golden Member
Oct 17, 1999
MrCadaver,

Sorry, what's your point? :confused:

Why wouldn't you just build it yourself? :confused:

You save money, learn something, have fun and can support your own system. :cool:

:confused:

MrCadaver

Jan 4, 2001
Okay, nobody seems to be getting the point. Finality, I paid a premium of $200 for my FalconNW system. Not $1000, which would be stupid. I'M NOT ARGUING THAT BUILDING YOUR OWN PC IS NOT PREFERABLE!! Of course it's generally preferable to build your own. All I'm saying is that it's not for everybody. In my case, I didn't have time to build one, I needed it right then. FalconNW provided that for me. Some people like to have fast computers, but don't necessarily want to dabble with the technical side of things. That's all I'm saying. My only point is that you can't simply tell EVERYBODY that they need to just build their own. Some people don't. Believe me, if you've ever worked in tech support, you'd know that there's plenty of people who LIKE computers, but don't necessarily want to learn everything about them. They just want a fast machine that they can use.