Alienware buys reviews

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
In that email, Bettison wrote the following,

I'm afraid, after the last review, our ability to send you any hardware for review is pretty much gone. When I have one of the executives in the US threatening my job on the telephone, my hands become somewhat tied in the future.

Anyway since...

"there are better and cheaper alternatives to the Alienware Area-51 7500"

... surely those would make a much better choice for a launch-day G80 review?

Certainly we'd have to have rocks in our head to come back for a second helping with the same SKU.

Paul Dutton was deeply shocked by this response (and I'd have been even more shocked if he hadn't been). He (like all of us) interpreted it to mean that Alienware was demanding that we lie about Alienware's products in future reviews and that the company was surprised that we hadn't lied in our review of the Area-51 7500 system.

So, Paul replied the same day to Bettison in a very strongly worded email that contained the lines below,

you effectively stated - and the record shows in no uncertain terms - that because HEXUS had published the honest, unfavourable truth about one ?Alienware? product, that ?Alienware? would not be sending HEXUS any products for future technical editorial evaluations?

? the only inference which can be made from this is that ?Alienware? will only submit products to publications which will write nice things about ?Alienware?.

Bettison responded the next day, saying,

I'm a little baffled by your idealism on this front:

"? the only inference which can be made from this is that ?Alienware? will only submit products to publications which will write nice things about ?Alienware?."

That's was and remains Alienware's global marketing strategy from the beginning. We're hardly alone. [My emboldening - Bob Crabtree]

Since Dell bought them, they have gone downhill. I always thought there were hyped crap, but everyone touted them as being the "best".

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: franguinho
they were pretty awesome at one point....

They were until they started milking it entirely. Now you can make the machines they make for a good 1000$ less. There laptops are still killer sometimes though.