Alfred E. Smith Memorial Dinner

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Anyone watching it? I love watching this.

Everyone should know by now I'm a R.

I laughed quite a lot throughout McCain's roast, some jokes weren't so good and some were hilarious. For Obama I haven't laughed as much but he is still pretty funny. It's interesting to see McCain be somewhat self depreciating and Obama to be kind of self absorbed. Of course it's all in good fun, but it's interesting how their writers took their conceived image and made it into good caricature. I can't help but feel that maybe Obama's humour on himself did not help with independents watching, simply because I don't think people like to see people who are self absorbed.

Anyway, what did you guys think?

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i got lucky and caught Obama. that was the most hilarious roast fest i have heard in a long time. the American people should be watching this, not the debates, lol.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
The McCain one was great as well. Hannity just said the American public would've been able to see this side of McCain more had Obama agreed to the 10, 12 townhalls.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

I laughed quite a lot throughout McCain's roast, some jokes weren't so good and some were hilarious. For Obama I haven't laughed as much but he is still pretty funny. It's interesting to see McCain be somewhat self depreciating and Obama to be kind of self absorbed. Of course it's all in good fun, but it's interesting how their writers took their conceived image and made it into good caricature. I can't help but feel that maybe Obama's humour on himself did not help with independents watching, simply because I don't think people like to see people who are self absorbed.

How do you conclude McCain was self depricating and Obama was self absorbed? Do you know these jokes were written for them? I thought they were both very funny.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: HomerJS

How do you conclude McCain was self depricating and Obama was self absorbed? Do you know these jokes were written for them? I thought they were both very funny.

I assumed writers helped out and checked it over. I conclude they were self depreciating and self absorbed by the jokes... I thought it was obvious by their jokes, at least to me.

I thought they were both funny as well, but I thought McCain came off as funnier.

edit: spelling.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Wow, this is some good stuff. They are both actually pretty funny guys. McCain was a very good sport during Obama's bit and vise versa. I like Barack is Swahili for "that one". Suspend the debates for good and only have roasts from now on.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
it was awsome!! McCain was much better. Obama seemed nervous in the beginning and seemed to be in a laughing at his own jokes kind of situation. Why was he so uptight? as if he had something up his a...

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
That was good, thanks for the links.

Someone needs to tell Obama that he shouldn't laugh at his own jokes.

McCain should hope that a LOT of people see this. Will help to over come the bit about him being mean etc.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
McCain's delivery was more natural, but Obama did very well. Both were hilarious.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Obama may have been nervous. Chris Rock who is currently the funniest standup comedien often laughs at his own jokes.

Full disclosure, I'm a D and I thought they were both funny.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Good find, thanks. I thought they both did well.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Obama's seemed more self-absorbed because he was poking fun at himself - playing off the stereotypes of him (self-absorbed, thinks he's the messiah, etc.). Still, McCain's portion was a little better delivered - it was clear he rehearsed for it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Both did well, I thought McCain did a bit better overall, but the biggest and least laughs were both Obama's. Plenty of funny material.

I was worried McCain was making a tasteless joke with his 'where's Bill?', but whether or not he meant to allude to that, he didn't go down that road.

Those who liked this should check out the annual Gridiron club press event, which is more secretive and more risky with the humor. JFK parodies his own inagural speech.

ohnoes

Oct 11, 2007
this was hilarious on both sides. It's a shame that his whole campaign wasn't like this, or I think he'd be doing much better in the polls.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Juddog
In case anybody was interested, here are the links to the whole thing:

McCain part 1
McCain part 2.

Obama part 1
Obama part 2

McCain had me rolling, he was a lot more funny than I expected.

You an R or D? Full disclosure! What were you're thoughts on Obama?

Obama was pretty funny as well, but McCain took the edge in making my laugh. I'm an independent.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Amazing how some of you can't keep your partisan slanted views of things out of even something like this, such as

"Someone needs to tell Obama that he shouldn't laugh at his own jokes.
McCain should hope that a LOT of people see this. Will help to over come the bit about him being mean etc."

Memo to preK-John - He's a Senator, not a comic. If he's laughing at his 'own' jokes, it's likely because he's reading them for the first time.

I also like the one that said Obama has a stick up his ass - It's actually sad to live with a perpetually pre-determined outlook on things. He could have come out and out-done Eddie Murphy's "RAW" act, and you would have still said negative things about him.

They both did a great job.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Both were full of win, but that McCain line, about not being able to help but feel some of them were rooting for him, then giving Hillary a shout out, was the best line of the night imo.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
That was good, thanks for the links.

Someone needs to tell Obama that he shouldn't laugh at his own jokes.

McCain should hope that a LOT of people see this. Will help to over come the bit about him being mean etc.

He couldn't help it. It was the first time he'd seen 'em, and there were some good ones.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I saw a few clips of this on Anderson Cooper yesterday. Nice to have the full length videos.

I thought McCain did look a little more in his groove than Obama but both were funny. I just wish more of the campaign would be like this.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I saw the whole thing last night on CSPAN. Both were good, McCain could have a career as a professional comedian. I predict after the election he will have a Bob Dole type bounce.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

McCain part 1
McCain part 2.

Obama part 1
Obama part 2

Did anyone else pick up on the fact that Fox News showed the McCain clips with the "Breaking News" caption and MSNBC did the same with the Obama clips?

Barack did crack me up with the line "I didn't know your great grandfather but from what Senator McCain has told me..."

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

McCain part 1
McCain part 2.

Obama part 1
Obama part 2

Did anyone else pick up on the fact that Fox News showed the McCain clips with the "Breaking News" caption and MSNBC did the same with the Obama clips?

Barack did crack me up with the line "I didn't know your great grandfather but from what Senator McCain has told me..."

That is actually not true. MSNBC went to McCain's speech as breaking news halfway through the speech. Probably after seeing how funny it was. Then Obama did his then they played the first half of McCain's speech.