Alexei Navalny

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
So while Alexi Navalny recovered in Germany from his poisoning in Russia, but came back once he recovered, the russian judge gave him 2 1/2 years for violating his parole.
WTF?
He would most likely have died, if he stayed in russia.

• Wow
Reactions: cytg111

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
So while Alexi Navalny recovered in Germany from his poisoning in Russia, but came back once he recovered, the russian judge gave him 2 1/2 years for violating his parole.
WTF?
He would most likely have died, if he stayed in russia.

You are surprised? Their government is run by gangsters and organized crime bosses.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So I saw this headline....why return after you've been poisoned?
Because the Russian opposition are dumb as bricks and don't realize their life matters if they want a movement to survive. Boris Nemtsov really helped dig his own grave with his lack of awareness on the state being an innately psychopathic institution.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
This is where we get to weigh in, cause the more exposure this guy has internationally the worse this equation is looking to putin.... or is it? Anyway if his fate is that of martyrdom, I say we make it one of the ages. Here is for change.

Optics and substantive effects on the government are two very different things. Protests are optics. This is what Putin and many other people understand and can exploit the morally naïve with the gap in knowledge and understanding. They can keep on killing and not worry about jack. The Russian system was weak and a sham democracy because the power to depose is de facto not there.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Because the Russian opposition are dumb as bricks and don't realize their life matters if they want a movement to survive. Boris Nemtsov really helped dig his own grave with his lack of awareness on the state being an innately psychopathic institution.

Navalny's wife was still in Russia, and I wouldn't put it past Putin to have applied some pressure from that direction to ensure Navalny had no choice but to return home or else. We'll probably never know.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Optics and substantive effects on the government are two very different things. Protests are optics. This is what Putin and many other people understand and can exploit the morally naïve with the gap in knowledge and understanding. They can keep on killing and not worry about jack. The Russian system was weak and a sham democracy because the power to depose is de facto not there.
If its popular among citizens its easier for gov to implement sanctions. Sanctions DO hurt. But obviously not as much if you have decided to retreat from the world stage and tradewar everyone else. Freeze all of Russias assets in its he west NOW, direct sanction Putin and all his puppets. See what happens.
Think about it, flipping Russia via Navalny away from mafia state towards a free open society. The family just got bigger. Could do what Putin did with Trump to the US just in reverse - with the exception that Navalny isnt an asset that has been groomed by the CIA for 40 years.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Curiouser and curiouser.

I mean duh.
Putin have no trouble novichok'in his way through Europe with little to no consequence... I mean can you blame the guy? If you could get rid of a few morons without consequence, you'd do it too, right?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Lol surprised he didn't "accidently" fall out of a window.

I guess glass repairs were costing them a bit too much.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This is what happens when you let leaders call a free press the enemy of the people.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Biden prepares to impose new sanctions on Russia over the Navalny poisoning.

So nice to have a POTUS who isn't being blackmailed or bribed by Putin, or in the alternative, doesn't have a bizarre man crush on him.