Alexei Navalny

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
While there is forces trying to tear down, there is also the prime spirit of man kind that will not be denied, here channeled by no other than Fox for ironies:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Just seems like that would be rather easy for Putin...I guess Putin doesn't want to make him a martyr?

There is still an illusion of freedom and fair elections in Russia. It is all about walking that fine line, propaganda vs. actual actions. The US have had beta-light dance with this concept for the past 4+ years.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
There is still an illusion of freedom and fair elections in Russia. It is all about walking that fine line, propaganda vs. actual actions. The US have had beta-light dance with this concept for the past 4+ years.

Exactly.

We all joke about Trump and Putin, but Putin has what Trump wanted and Trump was trying to run the same type of playbook. Remember when Trump was talking (seriously in his mind) about his "third term" a few months ago? Of course, it wasn't legal under the US Constitution, but at one point it also wasn't legal for Putin under Russia's Constitution. Putin just convinced the sheep to change the laws to suit him, which is the direction Trump was trying to nudge things.

The major difference between them is that Putin is very intelligent and was trained by the old line KGB as an intelligence operative, while Trump was/is a daddy's little rich boy with very minimal actual intelligence and borderline competence who, up to now, has never encountered a consequence in his life that his daddy's inherited money couldn't buy him out of.

Navalny will live only until Putin decides in his calculus that making a martyr is less trouble than having him alive. Navalny's only hope is to outlive Putin before that happens.

I'd say chances aren't good for him even if he is 24 years younger than Putin.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Exactly.

We all joke about Trump and Putin, but Putin has what Trump wanted and Trump was trying to run the same type of playbook. Remember when Trump was talking (seriously in his mind) about his "third term" a few months ago? Of course, it wasn't legal under the US Constitution, but at one point it also wasn't legal for Putin under Russia's Constitution. Putin just convinced the sheep to change the laws to suit him, which is the direction Trump was trying to nudge things.

The major difference between them is that Putin is very intelligent and was trained by the old line KGB as an intelligence operative, while Trump was/is a daddy's little rich boy with very minimal actual intelligence and borderline competence who, up to now, has never encountered a consequence in his life that his daddy's inherited money couldn't buy him out of.

Navalny will live only until Putin decides in his calculus that making a martyr is less trouble than having him alive. Navalny's only hope is to outlive Putin before that happens.

Starts by saying the election you won was rigged, then repeating over and over again that mail in ballots are fraud, and predicting that the results of the next election will be fraudulent for months prior to. Big lie is Big lie.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

100% ... That is the line that Navalny is walking and why he pulls international headlines every chance he gets, that is literally what is keeping him alive! I'll add that his odds increased somewhat with Trump out of the WH.

edit : Anyone ever hanged out with regular Russian folk? They deserve so much better than Putins version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
100% ... That is the line that Navalny is walking and why he pulls international headlines every chance he gets, that is literally what is keeping him alive! I'll add that his odds increased somewhat with Trump out of the WH.

edit : Anyone ever hanged out with regular Russian folk? They deserve so much better than Putins version.

If you’ve never had a great leader then you don’t know what you are missing and you are less likely to even bother to find out.

Reactions: cytg111

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Starts by saying the election you won was rigged, then repeating over and over again that mail in ballots are fraud, and predicting that the results of the next election will be fraudulent for months prior to. Big lie is Big lie.
Where have I heard that?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Here we go.

This is fucking insane.
You know, this was your future a couple of days ago.
I hope the west comes together to liberate the great people of Russia. No. Not war. Sanctions and whatever else mechanisms available to us.
I wish I could march with them.

Reactions: tweaker2
Feb 4, 2009
Exactly.

Good chance Putin has Parkinson’s or similar degenerative disease. People have been saying things and Putin recently had that law passed more or less saying retired Putin can’t betaken to court for anything.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Is this the part where we scream, “LOCK HIM UP!! LOCK HIM UP!!” ??? Asking my conservative friends for guidance on the patriotic course of action here.

Nov 17, 2019
We all joke about Trump and Putin, but Putin has what Trump wanted and Trump was trying to run the same type of playbook. Remember when Trump was talking (seriously in his mind) about his "third term" a few months ago? Of course, it wasn't legal under the US Constitution, ...
We forget that was a fairly recent change, taking effect in 1951 after FDR was elected four times:

As noted in there, repeal has been supported by none other than the inimitable and highly untrustworthy Mitichikov McConnellski. Given the number of Red States these days and the fervor in support of The Orange, repeal may well have been on the table by the end of the second term if it had happened.

Feb 4, 2009
Walking the line for risk of political martyrdom, imo

I heard/read ALS but not official of course. Just hearsay until confirmed.

Yeah that’s probably it. I was sort of guessing with Parkinson’s, I do know it is rumored to be a degenerative disease without a cure

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah that’s probably it. I was sort of guessing with Parkinson’s, I do know it is rumored to be a degenerative disease without a cure

The full rumor is cancer + Parkinson's. One person who claims to have Kremlin sources appears to be the sole source for it, though. Grain of salt.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Yes, but never actually in Russia. Nice enough folks, and they all seemed to be so happy to have gotten out.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I've only know well educated Russian emigres (tech industry). A few have a pretty rough accent, but their English is great, they are bright and enjoy a good time. One I was close too used to always be throwing really good math puzzles at me - he and his friends did this for fun. Life was as good as it could get for them in Russia, not being party apparatchiks - a lot fled because they were of Jewish decent. Plus the whole police state thing.

And, of course Putin and his family don't 'own' practically anything - you don't put graft in your own name. Shell companies, off shore accounts, etc., etc.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

This is where we get to weigh in, cause the more exposure this guy has internationally the worse this equation is looking to putin.... or is it? Anyway if his fate is that of martyrdom, I say we make it one of the ages. Here is for change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
This is where we get to weigh in, cause the more exposure this guy has internationally the worse this equation is looking to putin.... or is it? Anyway if his fate is that of martyrdom, I say we make it one of the ages. Here is for change.
Absolutely! He's a brave man, the west needs to support his cause and raise his profile - just to keep him alive for now. I'm not well enough informed on Russian politics to know what the next step is after that.