Discussion Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Exposes The Dark Side Of Politics In 5 Incredible Minutes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
The rights all short term thinking guys, surprising they are so focused on AOC it will be 11 years until she can run for President.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
They just want to D(eb)ATE her!

I always love a good pun, it's usually considered a sign of intelligence. That is supposed to be a compliment, I usually say things with a slight hint of sarcasm. I am highly intelligent, a sociopath while also being on the spectrum, so I don't quite know how to communicate properly.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Saying "campaign finance laws" are responsible for the state of politics or the country is like saying all-you-can-eat buffets are responsible for fat people. If you could somehow pry the majority of the country away from TV they watch 8 hours a day then "money in politics" would be a non-factor. We need to focus on eliminating political ads, and if we did then money would be an afterthought.

The other way to fix the money in politics "problem" would be to reduce the scope of government being involved in every aspects of our lives to the point where the vote of a Senator from West Nowheresville could be the determining factor that costs (or makes) some company billions of dollars. Every time some random housewife in Hoboken decides "vaccines cause autism" you create one more reason for some lobbyist for the vaccine industry to stroke a six figure check to the re-election campaign of "Idiot for Senate 2019".

You might be able to legally prevent campaign and PAC contributions. You can't legally prevent political ads on TV. And you certainly can't prevent people from watching TV.

The problem with your second point, which is a common one among conservatives, is that if government does less, those who don't want government action - taxes and regulations for example - will benefit. That is in fact what they're lobbying for right now. For the most part, they aren't looking for government to take action for their benefit. They just want government to not interfere with what they're doing, which is benefiting themselves at the expense of other people. For example, if the government does nothing, then the fossil fuel industry can pollute away with no consequences.

Feb 4, 2009
You might be able to legally prevent campaign and PAC contributions. You can't legally prevent political ads on TV. And you certainly can't prevent people from watching TV.

The problem with your second point, which is a common one among conservatives, is that if government does less, those who don't want government action - taxes and regulations for example - will benefit. That is in fact what they're lobbying for right now. For the most part, they aren't looking for government to take action for their benefit. They just want government to not interfere with what they're doing, which is benefiting themselves at the expense of other people. For example, if the government does nothing, then the fossil fuel industry can pollute away with no consequences.

COrrect but you can identify who is funding them a lot better than we’re requiring now. You can also limit donations to them for them to keep their favorable tax status.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
COrrect but you can identify who is funding them a lot better than we’re requiring now. You can also limit donations to them for them to keep their favorable tax status.

Yes, I agree. That was my point. We can enact meaningful campaign finance reform. Glenn was trying to say the only way to address this was to prevent the ads from being on TV or convince people not to watch them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Definitely. The Billionaire funders of the GOP run it the way the Yankees ran farm teams decades ago & go to great lengths to make the money look like it fell out of the sky. The most talented sycophants move up to higher office. It's all astroturfed issue mongering, like repeal & replace Obamacare. When they got the chance, they didn't even have a clue, let alone a plan.

It's funny how what the GOP seems to be able to accomplish is tax cuts for the financial elite & more military spending, huh?

Reactions: ch33zw1z