Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez challenged to a debate for $10,000 or proceeds to charity

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
The problem with looking at their recommendations is that its a shift from how its used now, which is a set of traits that people have. Self identification is one of those traits, but its not the only trait.

But, do you think gender is influenced only by society, or do you think its a mixture?

The recommendation by the IOH is in line with every resource that has been cited to you in this thread. Whether it is the WHO, APA, or AMA, they don't make the erroneous definition that you promote that "Gender is not a social construct."

I would suggest you go back and edit all of your posts where you misidentify the definition of gender and apologize for refusing to acknowledge the accepted definition of the term.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The recommendation by the IOH is in line with every resource that has been cited to you in this thread. Whether it is the WHO, APA, or AMA, they don't make the erroneous definition that you promote that "Gender is not a social construct."

I would suggest you go back and edit all of your posts where you misidentify the definition of gender and apologize for refusing to acknowledge the accepted definition of the term.

I suggested he stop peddling ignorant nonsense after his very first post in this thread. Needless to say he didn't listen, haha. There really is no hill too dumb for him to refuse to die on it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nope, you are wrong. Anyone says that we cant influence ourselves is wrong. To say that one is biology, and the other is socially constructed is simply wrong. It would be like saying that the inherent feelings that someone has about themselves is not inherent to who they are. Would you ever tell a gay person they were not born that way?
Sorry, I should have never asked you a motivational question while you were still trying to punch your way out of a paper bag. Chalk it up to the fact I never learned to use words according to the dictionary of realibrad.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

Why wont you answer the question?

Do you think Gender is only social, or do you think part of it is rooted in biology?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sorry, I should have never asked you a motivational question while you were still trying to punch your way out of a paper bag. Chalk it up to the fact I never learned to use words according to the dictionary of realibrad.

Dont you forget it.

You ever going to respond to the post that I made to you a while back? I put effort into it, but you suddenly stopped.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Dont you forget it.

You ever going to respond to the post that I made to you a while back? I put effort into it, but you suddenly stopped.
I thought it was the other way round, that you didn't reply. Did you quote my post so I would get an alert, or did I write some brilliant thingi and forget to hit reply? I forgot everything I was taught as the truth.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why wont you answer the question?

Do you think Gender is only social, or do you think part of it is rooted in biology?
That is a question about the origin of gender not about its definition. You seem obsessed by some sort of fear that if your point isn't recognized some terribly important truth won't be seen by others, when all they are doing is telling you that how gender is defined and how it arises as a concept of self, the factors that go into that, are two different things. Sex is chromosomal and gender is self conceived and socially expressed self identity.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That is a question about the origin of gender not about its definition. You seem obsessed by some sort of fear that if your point isn't recognized some terribly important truth won't be seen by others, when all they are doing is telling you that how gender is defined and how it arises as a concept of self, the factors that go into that, are two different things. Sex is chromosomal and gender is self conceived and socially expressed self identity.

No, self identity is part of what makes up gender, but, its not what gender is.

What people are trying to do when they say gender is 100% a social construct is to say that society has decided that those traits belong to male/female. That is wrong. We know that some traits are linked to biology as well as society. What people want to believe is different than what the data says.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
r: No, self identity is part of what makes up gender, but, its not what gender is.

M: I identify as a turnip but I'm not what a turnip is. Thank you for the obvious and the irrelevant.

r: What people are trying to do when they say gender is 100% a social construct is to say that society has decided that those traits belong to male/female. That is wrong. We know that some traits are linked to biology as well as society. What people want to believe is different than what the data says.

M: You mean that when people define what gender is they say it's a social construct along a spectrum of male to female. That is how gender is defined. When we consider what determines how a person self defines along the gender spectrum, social as well as biological factors come into play.

I think you are missing the important aspect of this discussion. Why in the face of a massive rebuttal of your position do you persist and continue? What princess is being saved by tilting at this windmill? What is at stake when you say that people are denying that biological factors come into play. I mentioned that you made the same case, that there are biological reasons why the google guy was right and shouldn't have been fired, although you didn't get the point I was making there. You have a sacred cow involved here and I want to know what it is so we can discuss the real issue. Personally, I am more and more inclined to believe that the left has a tendency to wish to divorce itself from the notion that we have a human nature that can't be shoehorned into any old invented ideology, that the sacredness of the individual is real and that I not the state determines who I am and what my aim should be.

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
r: No, self identity is part of what makes up gender, but, its not what gender is.

M: I identify as a turnip but I'm not what a turnip is. Thank you for the obvious and the irrelevant.

r: What people are trying to do when they say gender is 100% a social construct is to say that society has decided that those traits belong to male/female. That is wrong. We know that some traits are linked to biology as well as society. What people want to believe is different than what the data says.

M: You mean that when people define what gender is they say it's a social construct along a spectrum of male to female. That is how gender is defined. When we consider what determines how a person self defines along the gender spectrum, social as well as biological factors come into play.

That is how they define gender, but that does not fit with what Gender is.

When people say its a social construct, what they mean is that a set of traits are accepted by society as being male or female. They group those traits and label them.

In psychology, they do not do that. What they do is look at traits, look at what influences those traits, look at correlations. That is how they found that gender is linked to both biology and society.

Now, when you say its both social and biological factors, you are conflicting with Gender being only a social construct. Once you do that, you move to my position.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
20 pages????

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Derangement Syndrome!

Right? In the middle of this duhversion I've addressed why she shouldn't debate him twice.

That was ignored for 10 fucking pages of dithering over what the actual fuck the word "gender" means and an expose on how two thought processes work. On one side, we have people who shape their worldview to fit fact. On the other side, we have people who manipulate and ignore fact to preserve a worldview.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That is how they define gender, but that does not fit with what Gender is.

When people say its a social construct, what they mean is that a set of traits are accepted by society as being male or female. They group those traits and label them.

In psychology, they do not do that. What they do is look at traits, look at what influences those traits, look at correlations. That is how they found that gender is linked to both biology and society.

Now, when you say its both social and biological factors, you are conflicting with Gender being only a social construct. Once you do that, you move to my position.
Hehe, how gender is defined is how gender is defined is how gender is defined.

Definition of tree
1 a : a woody perennial plant having a single usually elongate main stem generally with few or no branches on its lower part
b : a shrub or herb of arborescent form
  • rose trees
  • a banana tree
2 : something in the form of or resembling a tree: such as
a : a diagram or graph that branches usually from a simple stem or vertex without forming loops or polygons
  • a genealogical tree
  • phylogenetic trees
b : a much-branched system of channels especially in an animal body
  • the vascular tree
3 a (1) : a piece of wood (such as a post or pole) usually adapted to a particular use or forming part of a structure or implement
(2) archaic : the cross on which Jesus was crucified
b archaic : gallows

A tree however is caused by a seed placed in fertile soil with sunlight and water present and all of those will have causes that go back for billions of years.

Again, the question is, why is important that a word should be defined other than as it actually is defined. What is at stake in your opinion?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Right? In the middle of this duhversion I've addressed why she shouldn't debate him twice.

That was ignored for 10 fucking pages of dithering over what the actual fuck the word "gender" means and an expose on how two thought processes work. On one side, we have people who shape their worldview to fit fact. On the other side, we have people who manipulate and ignore fact to preserve a worldview.

It's not just in this thread. In general this total nobody candidate from NYC has completely triggered a whole demographic of angry white males.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

The only interest I have in the subject, as my opinion on the subject is as irrelevant to AO-C as the attention seeker who wants to debate her, is in dealing with the people who post here who fit reality to their Weltanschauung. How do we help those with whom we can have a real conversational relationship. I already engaged in the obligatory disparagement of their particular Zeitgeist by referring it to a failed attempt to conflate the size of the IQ egos to their dick size, that in fact their rage and anger at the world is the product of being sexually unattractive to the modern feminist. It's all rage against the impotency and impending extinction of assholes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's not just in this thread. In general this total nobody candidate from NYC has completely triggered a whole demographic of angry white males.
Because they can't have her and that puts them in touch with how worthless they actually feel.