alex trebek has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I've known two different people with pancreatic cancer. In both cases from diagnosis to the grave was 3 weeks.

One was my barber, chatting with him while he cut my hair, he was dead before I needed another haircut.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
RIP, Mr Trebek.

But at least he can boast, wherever he is, that he outlasted his sworn nemesis, Sean Connery.

Reactions: Captante

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
RIP

Haven't watched him in 30ish years, but always enjoyed Jeopardy and how he Hosted it.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
0Mv1dge.jpg

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Ursula Andress, Catherine Deneuve, and Charo, twice.

Alex Trebek:
Let's just go with FOREIGN FLICKS for 800.
Sean Connery:
[buzzes in] Ursula Andress.
Alex Trebek:
What?
Sean Connery:
Ursula Andress, Catherine Deneuve, and Charo twice.
Alex Trebek:
That's foreign FLICKS, Mr. Connery.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've known two different people with pancreatic cancer. In both cases from diagnosis to the grave was 3 weeks.

One was my barber, chatting with him while he cut my hair, he was dead before I needed another haircut.
My dad made it nine weeks.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
My wife and I watch his show every evening, after dinner. They still have ~35 shows in the can, Monday night (11/9) was the beginning of that final run of shows, which continue through December 25.

Filming ended on 10/29, 10 days before his death. I imagine that during the last show he will say "goodbye". We will be watching.

He was a true gentleman, and a champion of facts, accuracy, and education. Well done, Alex. RIP.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I was watching jeopardy last night and realized that this is the only show on major networks prime time that has any sort of intellectual appeal and integrity. RIP Trebek, I'm sorry when they replace your show with the masked singing bachelor that is dumber than a 5th grader.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
My sister was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer last week. Stage 2, she was told. Came on fast, with losing weigh then yellow looking skin. Supposedly they say it has not spread and the doctor(s) suggest chemo to shrink the mass, and then followed by a surgical procedure called the Whipple procedure. I looked at what that Whipple procedure involved and it sounds like self imposed chain saw massacre to me.

Strange thing, cancer has never been a part of our family. No relative that I have heard of has had cancer or died of cancer. With my family it's always been the heart, or heart related. And my Q relatives are now saying SEE, YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN THE SHOT. Naturally, they would blame the covid shot. They don't mention that my sister was a heavy smoker most of her life.

But as with any challenge, you take it day by day and hope for the best while preparing for the worst.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My sister was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer last week. Stage 2, she was told. Came on fast, with losing weigh then yellow looking skin. Supposedly they say it has not spread and the doctor(s) suggest chemo to shrink the mass, and then followed by a surgical procedure called the Whipple procedure. I looked at what that Whipple procedure involved and it sounds like self imposed chain saw massacre to me.

Strange thing, cancer has never been a part of our family. No relative that I have heard of has had cancer or died of cancer. With my family it's always been the heart, or heart related. And my Q relatives are now saying SEE, YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN THE SHOT. Naturally, they would blame the covid shot. They don't mention that my sister was a heavy smoker most of her life.

But as with any challenge, you take it day by day and hope for the best while preparing for the worst.

My condolences. Pancreatic cancer is almost always a fatal diagnosis.
Fuck cancer...and fuck our medical system. People get diagnosed with cancer, they undergo horrific surgeries, then poison themselves with radiation and chemotherapy, spend all their remaining time and money fighting the disease...and most still die from the cancer they were diagnosed with. (or it metastasizes into something worse) We went through it with both of my in-laws and my mom...my dad "had the decency" to die of a massive coronary. It was over quickly, not drug out over several months...or years.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

It's said that 25% of pancreatic cancer is caused by smoking.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg had early stage pancreatic cancer back in 2009 and she lived another 11 years so that
is something to hope for.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

One of my best friends was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. They caught it early and did the whipple procedure. She had some difficulty in the recovery from that as adhesions developed, but after those were taken care of, she sailed along. She had no chemo. She goes back for a checkup every year and in 3 months she will be 7 years cancer free. Early diagnosis can make all the difference. I certainly hope things go as well for your sister.

BTW my friend never smoked, nor did her husband.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

Yeah, pancreatic cancer is really the biggest 'fuck yous' of cancer -- can just come up seemingly out of nowhere with no family history.

Fortunately for your sister, that's the best-case scenario! It's typically caught very late, so stage 2 with the plan to do Whipple is excellent news! We had a relative receive the same news, go through the procedure, and is still kicking cancer free!

Will definitely be thinking of you guys -- lost my mom to Stage 4 pancreatic a few years ago. Seeing others successfully beat it and just overall progress for treating/curing it somehow makes it feel like her passing wasn't for nothing.