Alert: Abortion rights are on the ballot August 2nd in Kansas

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It’s official. MSNBC has called No the winner with 71% in

Now Dems need to get abortion rights on every state ballot in the country this fall.

This is huge news in the red state of Kansas

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Wonder how Fox will spin this?

As I suspected if you ask the people in each state statewide, they would vote to keep Roe

Question will Republicans go against the will of the people?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Referendum vote doesn’t stop the legislature from passing bill to ban abortion. Repugnicans perfectly fine ignoring the will of the people.

Reactions: Thump553 and Muse

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
My take from this.... DON'T F WITH WOMEN'S RIGHTS. PERIOD!
It is crystal clear that we have MANY more women concerned with their body than concerned about what some church or some supreme court bible thumping looneys think about a woman's body.

Frankly, the religious right should have gotten a clue way back in the George Bush era when wife Barbara Bush was openly pro-choice. THAT should have told pro-lifers something right there.
You can be as religious as religious can be, but when it comes to the right of a woman to control her own body, pro-choice will always win the day.
Now.... lets get on with those 2022 midterms. ;)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What the voters in Kansas did was to bitch slap every conservative in the SCOTUS AND sent them a clear message that these judges and the conservative legislators that seated them are favoring a minority faction of the nation's general populace.

Let's hope that most other states will show the same results.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Kansas tracks exactly to what national polls say about it. Get fucked GOP. I hope every one of you is sweating yourself to sleep over this. This won't be the end of this.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
What the voters in Kansas did was to bitch slap every conservative in the SCOTUS AND sent them a clear message that these judges and the conservative legislators that seated them are favoring a minority faction of the nation's general populace.

Let's hope that most other states will show the same results.
And yet, Kansas will reelect a bunch of republicans come November.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Kansas tracks exactly to what national polls say about it. Get fucked GOP. I hope every one of you is sweating yourself to sleep over this. This won't be the end of this.

Yup, basically national polls track that the majority in the US support Abortion up to Fetal viability. After Fetal viability support for abortion unless the mother's life is in danger drops off. Which is kind of key which I see when looking at polls and abortion, how the poll is worded is very important and what the cutoff is. GOP is going to find out that people are not happy with their BS and abortion.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Exactly what I've been hoping to hear. Yeah plenty more where that came from for sure. You treat 51% of the population like brood mares and fleshlights, there is going to be blowback. This kind of rejection in a red state? Hello. Even the women on Fox look like they just got kicked in the junk. First Biden getting al-Zawahiri and now this. The butthurt that has ensued among the talking heads, the flailing and dumbfuckery. *chef's kiss* It's beautiful.

I'm cautiously optimistic after hearing about the burn pit vets getting the damn support now, finally (well done vets and Johnny Stew!). Plus the whole thing with Manchin and Schumer? Feels like we have an abnormal amount of good things happening, not that I'm complaining.

'This is not the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning...'

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Unfortunately, popular ballot initiatives are not directly correlated with the representation voters choose. Kansans are all too likely to keep abortion legal and continue voting for GOP reps in Congress. They won't see the contradiction.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Exactly what I've been hoping to hear. Yeah plenty more where that came from for sure. You treat 51% of the population like brood mares and fleshlights, there is going to be blowback. This kind of rejection in a red state? Hello. Even the women on Fox look like they just got kicked in the junk. First Biden getting al-Zawahiri and now this. The butthurt that has ensued among the talking heads, the flailing and dumbfuckery. *chef's kiss* It's beautiful.

I'm cautiously optimistic after hearing about the burn pit vets getting the damn support now, finally (well done vets and Johnny Stew!). Plus the whole thing with Manchin and Schumer? Feels like we have an abnormal amount of good things happening, not that I'm complaining.

'This is not the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning...'
This is why you can't count chickens in politics. If the climate, tax and Medicare bill passes, gas continues to drop, and inflation stabilizes at least, with the crazy abortion ruling the tides might turn in the midterms more than a lot of pundits were saying a few months ago

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Unfortunately, popular ballot initiatives are not directly correlated with the representation voters choose. Kansans are all too likely to keep abortion legal and continue voting for GOP reps in Congress. They won't see the contradiction.

Unless Dems go on a propaganda offensive. Stick Republicans with their position.

Make them wear this like they make Dems wear defund the police even though it isn’t party position

Maybe time to put up the bill codifying Roe now. Force them to vote it down

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010

Will it carry through to November, though? Voters are fickle and have short memories. If gas prices spike again in October, oops.

Also will the Dems learn a thing or two about messaging before then?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Abortion is not a "right" its a tragedy. There is nothing to celebrate about aborting a babies life.

No-one celebrates it, dumbass. How old are you? How long have you been acquainted with the topic of abortion rights and yet you still don't understand the basics?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Kansas is now in a negative selection death spiral.
Which is a bummer, because they had fertile ground for being a very technological state, with the aerospace industry. But unlike other aerospace industry hubs like Washington and California, they were never able to expand into other tech due to conservative politics scaring away talented young people.
Yeah, I was thinking yesterday after hearing about this stern tourniquet on the necks of women in Kansas, who the hell would want to move there??? I fact I have to wonder why anyone would want to live in a red state.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Referendum vote doesn’t stop the legislature from passing bill to ban abortion. Repugnicans perfectly fine ignoring the will of the people.
State Supreme Court ruled in 2019 the state constitution gives the right. So the legislature’s hands are still tied.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
ALL THESE YEARS republicans have been crying about leftist activist courts. They cried when marriage equality was passed, they cried when Obamacare was upheld, but none of those rulings were the result of an leftist activist court. However, overturning R vs W defiantly was the result of an extreme far right religious activist court. That has now been proven.

And so, those religious righties can toss around the term activist court all they want but only they have succeeded in stacking then taking advantage of their activist court.

Do we realize what this monumental victory means? It all but negates this entire Donald Trump stacked US Supreme Court. THIS, my friends, fully delegitimizes to the fullest extent anything and everything this corrupt Trump court has done or will do in the future.
If this court had a soul they would resign and crawl back up into Trump's ass where they came from.

Reactions: HomerJS