Alert: Abortion rights are on the ballot August 2nd in Kansas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
I actually...like it as a primary? Especially in Kansas. You get low turnout in general, especially in a non-presidential election. I think the *real* demand for pro-life policy is much lower than R's want to admit. It's one thing to be soft on it and just virtual signal away your vote to thrown down for team R.

It pulls at like 60% nationally for pro-choice and it generally tracks at a very similar rate between genders. Once you line item it and remove any other feelings from there, I'll be very curious to see how this plays out in Kansas. I think people are motivated, and at 60% that's more than all identified democrats.

I think you can really hang a hat on this for a voter motivation more than any single candidate.

The anti-choicers are actually pretty solid at getting enough support. I had 3 female teachers in my high school try to get a 4th female teacher fired because they were all anti-abortion and she was pro choice. When I found out the shenanigans they were pulling (which included fucking me over personally multiple times) I don't know how the fuck they weren't fired. This was 2 decades ago when abortion was actually much less of a flash point. There's a LOT of anti-choice assholes in Kansas.

Hell, lots of shitty unpopular policy gets put in in Kansas because of low turnout and them whipping up just enough right wing shitheads to get it through. See their education cuts, which were hated by basically everyone but still got through because the Republican Governor and legislature threatened to dissolve the state supreme court. So then Kansas went just Democrat enough to get one in as governor.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No one has ever aborted a baby.

Even the bible is clear on this; life begins when a baby takes its first breath and abortions happen in the bible.

Don’t try to confuse him with quotes right out of the Bible. He’ll continue in his delusion trying to justify a non existent religious point

Not that his religion should dictate anyone else’s decisions

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Abortion is not a "right" its a tragedy. There is nothing to celebrate about aborting a babies life.
Yeah but you could say the same about the 2nd amendment. There's nothing to celebrate about using a gun to end someone's life, even in self-defense. Yet people like you fight fiercely for the right to do so with guns.
Don't be an ass. The right to abortion is not much different than the right to use a gun to defend one-self in one's home.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Kansas is now in a negative selection death spiral.
Which is a bummer, because they had fertile ground for being a very technological state, with the aerospace industry. But unlike other aerospace industry hubs like Washington and California, they were never able to expand into other tech due to conservative politics scaring away talented young people.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Kansas is now in a negative selection death spiral.
Which is a bummer, because they had fertile ground for being a very technological state, with the aerospace industry. But unlike other aerospace industry hubs like Washington and California, they were never able to expand into other tech due to conservative politics scaring away talented young people.
Wichita just also sucks. It's an overgrown small town. A lot of which is the conservative attitude, but it really doesn't have many good inherent features.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
imagine the list of women who try getting pregnant just so they can have a party at their local abortion clinic.

What a long list.

Reactions: dank69

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
We either become a nation of snitches (Looking at you Texas) or Handmaid's Tale with state border inspections determining Sex , intent , origination of travel and outcome.
If a woman wants to go visit another state what intervening state laws will have to be considered?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Abortion is not a "right" its a tragedy. There is nothing to celebrate about aborting a babies life.

Well, what with your avatar seeming to be a dog and your moniker being a cat, I'll take that into consideration when perusing your posts.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Wichita just also sucks. It's an overgrown small town. A lot of which is the conservative attitude, but it really doesn't have many good inherent features.
Suckage is just a consequence of conservatism.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It has Nu Way.

Our families still live in the area, but yeah I don't want to live there again. The Koch's have fucked that part of the state.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
If republicans actually cared about ending abortion they'd make contraception free and widely available and support sexual education. You know, things that actually decrease abortions instead of just making them unsafe and illegal. I feel like democrats should hammer on this point more but not sure it would really make a difference in the end.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
If republicans actually cared about ending abortion they'd make contraception free and widely available and support sexual education. You know, things that actually decrease abortions instead of just making them unsafe and illegal. I feel like democrats should hammer on this point more but not sure it would really make a difference in the end.
That would require integrity on the part of republicans. They are a lost cause. No one can fix them, you can only beat them.

Democrats only need to focus on independents.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not only putting it up in a primary having to vote “no” on something like this adds confusion

Republicans bank on confusion and low turnout. They don’t want a majority of the populous voting on their policies

There will be a shit ton of robo calls in Democratic districts trying to convince people to vote the opposite

Did I not call this way in advance?? Just call me Nostra Dumbass

• Wow
Reactions: esquared

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It really depends on where the early votes are from. Johnson County had huge number of early voters and would be a heavy no vote county. I'm not ready to call it yet.

Wasserman is very careful, possible he is wrong but I really doubt it.