Alert: Abortion rights are on the ballot August 2nd in Kansas

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Kansas made abortion a right back in 2019. Republicans now want to remove that right by putting it on the ballot Tuesday.

My take on this, they know most people prefer the protections of Roe. They put this on the ballot now instead of in November because turnout during primaries is lower than the general. Republicans do well when turnout is depressed. The less people that weigh in, the more they can push policies people don't want.

Abortion rights are on the ballot in 5 other states so maybe the will of the people will finally be heard.

Kansas voters will be the first to directly weigh in on abortion rights in the post-Roe era (msn.com)

Reactions: dank69
Nov 29, 2006
I'll be voting tomorrow, but sadly I don't think my No vote will do much good here.

From what i can gather from my conservatard family is they like to view this as, they want the legislature to rule on these things, not the judiciary (as was upheld in 2019). They act like the outcome of a GOP run state is not known if this passes. "You don't know they will ban abortions" lol...yeah...ok.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well frankly, its up to the people and if the pro choice can not get their people to the polls then that says a lot. If this is really the motivating factor then primary or not the pro choice should come out in droves. Personally, I doubt abortion will have any influence in this primary election or on the 2022 national midterms. If democrats are hoping that abortion will make the difference in turnout, democrats will be very disappointed.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Well frankly, its up to the people and if the pro choice can not get their people to the polls then that says a lot. If this is really the motivating factor then primary or not the pro choice should come out in droves. Personally, I doubt abortion will have any influence in this primary election or on the 2022 national midterms. If democrats are hoping that abortion will make the difference in turnout, democrats will be very disappointed.

Anyone expecting Kansas, the state that mandated teaching of biblical/Christian evolution in public schools to vote pro-choice in ANY way is severely deluded.

In the 22 mid-terms Roe v. Wade will make A difference but I doubt it will be enough to turn the tide with the ancient out-of-touch id10t's we have running the media show for the Democrats.

:confused:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Anyone expecting Kansas, the state that mandated teaching of biblical/Christian evolution in public schools to vote pro-choice in ANY way is severely deluded.

In the 22 mid-terms Roe v. Wade will make A difference but I doubt it will be enough to turn the tide with the ancient out-of-touch id10t's we have running the media show for the Democrats.

:confused:
You do realize that Kansas’ current governor is a pro choice Democrat, right?

Not saying which way this initiative will go but seems relevant.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I was shocked when I found that out but yes.... I doubt it will matter.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

But wasn't she running against the most hated governor in the country? Although, I do think this is her second term.

Regardless, I really don't think amendments should be allowed to be voted on outside the general election. The only reason they ever are is to manipulate the turnout.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But wasn't she running against the most hated governor in the country? Although, I do think this is her second term.

Regardless, I really don't think amendments should be allowed to be voted on outside the general election. The only reason they ever are is to manipulate the turnout.
Sure but the idea that pro choice can’t ever happen there is wrong

Reactions: vi edit

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Sure but the idea that pro choice can’t ever happen there is wrong
I agree. Especially because socially liberal initiatives seem to massively outperform Democrats. My experience in Kansas, too, is they aren't quite the religious zealots as the South as well.

Reactions: dank69

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I agree. Especially because socially liberal initiatives seem to massively outperform Democrats. My experience in Kansas, too, is they aren't quite the religious zealots as the South as well.
Depends on how rural it is really.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The fact that abortions need to happen is a tragedy. Any god (or politician, or fuckwit voters) that says a mother needs to die from an ectopic pregnancy is no god I'd follow, politician I'd vote for, or opinion I'd ever give validation.

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
I'll be voting tomorrow, but sadly I don't think my No vote will do much good here.

From what i can gather from my conservatard family is they like to view this as, they want the legislature to rule on these things, not the judiciary (as was upheld in 2019). They act like the outcome of a GOP run state is not known if this passes. "You don't know they will ban abortions" lol...yeah...ok.
Where is the sad emoji on this site?

Reactions: hal2kilo

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
Abortion is not a "right" its a tragedy. There is nothing to celebrate about aborting a babies life.
Feel free to spank your monkey and stay away from females right to decide what is best for their lives. This is a WOMAN'S health decision. Your opinion as a man means absolutely ZERO.
Seriously, are we living in a 60's America where it was fine raping your wife?
Sorry for the last sentence edit esquared.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Abortion is not a "right" its a tragedy. There is nothing to celebrate about aborting a babies life.

This is what is tragic…

10 year old girl is raped and pregnant and she is forced to carry rapists baby because religious zealots force her

A woman miscarries and can’t get an abortion because doctors are afraid of being jailed. The woman is forced to carry a dead fetus until her life hangs in the balance

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Yeah lame how they shoehorned this in a primary, but at least Kansas put it to the people to decide vs states that already had bills in the works just waiting to be used.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I actually...like it as a primary? Especially in Kansas. You get low turnout in general, especially in a non-presidential election. I think the *real* demand for pro-life policy is much lower than R's want to admit. It's one thing to be soft on it and just virtual signal away your vote to thrown down for team R.

It pulls at like 60% nationally for pro-choice and it generally tracks at a very similar rate between genders. Once you line item it and remove any other feelings from there, I'll be very curious to see how this plays out in Kansas. I think people are motivated, and at 60% that's more than all identified democrats.

I think you can really hang a hat on this for a voter motivation more than any single candidate.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yeah lame how they shoehorned this in a primary, but at least Kansas put it to the people to decide vs states that already had bills in the works just waiting to be used.

Not only putting it up in a primary having to vote “no” on something like this adds confusion

Republicans bank on confusion and low turnout. They don’t want a majority of the populous voting on their policies

There will be a shit ton of robo calls in Democratic districts trying to convince people to vote the opposite

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeah watching nightly news and this is going to come down to wording on the vote in particular. It's going to be worded so weirdly that you are voting for the opposite that you think you are. Watching the messaging R's are using, it's a "vote for choice".

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
This is what is tragic…

10 year old girl is raped and pregnant and she is forced to carry rapists baby because religious zealots force her

A woman miscarries and can’t get an abortion because doctors are afraid of being jailed. The woman is forced to carry a dead fetus until her life hangs in the balance
Rapists get to choose the mother of their baby.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Mar 11, 2004
Fuck right off to Texas with that strawman .

Don't take the masturbate, the person you're responding to won't have to worry about a woman aborting any fetus as he has no chance of fucking a woman ever again. And that's if he's not just plain impotent to begin with. And so he wants everyone to be as miserable.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Captante and Drach