Alec Baldwin shoots and kills a woman, injures a man.

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
It's almost amusing to see how much the extremist alt righties like Taj are triggered by this because Baldwin mocked their Fuhrer Trump.
What I like is all the hand waiving about how to appropriately handle a weapon. While I absolutely agree there is a safe way to handle a weapon I just looked at the Second Amendment and there's nothing about trigger discipline, checking the chamber or watching where your gun is pointed. So all of that talk is meaningless right?

Reactions: sandorski

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
What I like is all the hand waiving about how to appropriately handle a weapon. While I absolutely agree there is a safe way to handle a weapon I just looked at the Second Amendment and there's nothing about trigger discipline, checking the chamber or watching where your gun is pointed. So all of that talk is meaningless right?
All that is a necessary component of the "No True Responsible Gun Owner" fallacy.

Nov 17, 2019
At first I didn't really care much about another silly Hollyweird mess and the stupidity of boomboom toys. But this idiot is starting to sound like a giant pile of beetle dung:

U.S. News // 7 hours ago
Police investigating 'Rust' shooting say they're still waiting for Alec Baldwin's phone
Jan. 13 (UPI) -- Authorities on Thursday said they are still waiting for actor Alec Baldwin to comply with a nearly month-old search warrant for his cell phone as part of their investigation into the fatal "Rust" film shooting.

Why wasn't it handed over (or seized) that day?

Isn't it pretty much useless now as evidence?

Jul 27, 2020
Evidence of what? What could the phone possibly have on it? Conspiracy to kill the DP? Emails/text messages showing he was discussing with someone how to make the killing look like an accident?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Evidence of what? What could the phone possibly have on it? Conspiracy to kill the DP? Emails/text messages showing he was discussing with someone how to make the killing look like an accident?

Just pure wild speculation, but it might, say, reveal that he knew things that could suggest that the set was an unsafe working environment.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There was another story that said he refused to attend (or just missed) a safety training session. Something like that could be there.
There seems to be a case for him being civilly liable in some way but it’s hard for me to see anything criminal here on his part.

Reactions: pmv

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
At first I didn't really care much about another silly Hollyweird mess and the stupidity of boomboom toys. But this idiot is starting to sound like a giant pile of beetle dung:

U.S. News // 7 hours ago
Police investigating 'Rust' shooting say they're still waiting for Alec Baldwin's phone
Jan. 13 (UPI) -- Authorities on Thursday said they are still waiting for actor Alec Baldwin to comply with a nearly month-old search warrant for his cell phone as part of their investigation into the fatal "Rust" film shooting.

Why wasn't it handed over (or seized) that day?

Isn't it pretty much useless now as evidence?
The one lesson Republicans have taught us, official demands from legal authorities can just be ignored.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
The one lesson Republicans have taught us, official demands from legal authorities can just be ignored.

No, I thought the Republicans were the party of "just comply" when asked by authorities?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
There seems to be a case for him being civilly liable in some way but it’s hard for me to see anything criminal here on his part.

True, though there probably ought to be laws covering "corporate manslaughter". If corporations are "people" that have freedom-of-religion, they should also be liable to be sent to prison for reckless and dangerous behavior.

Reactions: cytg111

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Just pure wild speculation, but it might, say, reveal that he knew things that could suggest that the set was an unsafe working environment.
What they said is his team is trying to limit the access to only things related to Rust. He didn't want them going through his personal message and photos from his friends and family (i.e. most likely wife nudes or things of this nature). Just something I saw on the news the other morning.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

As a producer, he may have made some decisions that determine liability and culpability.
As the shooter, he may have given an admission to something critical. Like pulling the trigger, which he publicly claims he did not do.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Feb 4, 2009
Regarding the phone, I heard Baldwin will comply when it is issued from his State and that is (I believe) due to whom has access to his data & how that data is secured. I think it is New York has stronger privacy enforcement regarding the surrender.
I get his point for various reasons he has become a political target and he is a famous guy. Surrendering his phone then having a shot ton of *leaks* about what he’s doing or who he is doing what with would suck this also means there could be a shit ton of crap made up just to make deplorable assholes feel better.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What I'm wondering is on what basis do they have to search his cell phone for evidence of a crime in the first place.

Jul 27, 2020
Alec Baldwin sued by Hayna Hutchins' family (yahoo.com)

documents include text messages allegedly sent by a concerned camera operator, who had claimed there had been "three accidental discharges".
The texts were received by the unit manager, who the lawsuit accused of responding "with callous sarcasm".
After being told about the "super unsafe" accidental discharges, the unit manager allegedly replied: "Accidental discharge on the firearms? Cool. Sounds good."

Alec Baldwin and the producers can deny culpability if the unit manager failed to inform them of the crew's safety concerns.

Jul 9, 2009
Alec Baldwin sued by Hayna Hutchins' family (yahoo.com)

Alec Baldwin and the producers can deny culpability if the unit manager failed to inform them of the crew's safety concerns.
They were on the set and knew full well the casts concerns. You do know that some of the cast members walked off the job? Alec Baldwin knew full well of the safety concerns along with the negligent shootings that had already taken place.

"I think it's clear what happened," Brian Panish, the lead attorney for Hutchins’ husband and son, told reporters Tuesday. "Alec had the gun in his hand. He shot it. Halyna was killed."

When she doubled over in pain, two crew members rushed to offer help, according to the lawsuit. Baldwin allegedly did not."

Jul 9, 2009
What I'm wondering is on what basis do they have to search his cell phone for evidence of a crime in the first place.
Because the first thing he did after shooting and killing his videographer is make phone calls on his cell phone. Maybe he confessed to intent or some other reason.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Because the first thing he did after shooting and killing his videographer is make phone calls on his cell phone. Maybe he confessed to intent or some other reason.

“Confessed to intent”? How stupid are you??

By all accounts, Baldwin is an asshole. But he probably didn’t rush to render aid because he was in shock. I don’t see where intent comes into play in this shooting. Just willful ignorance of firearm safety at worst. I think we all agreed a civil lawsuit was inevitable and he probably should’ve offered more to settle out of court before the lawsuit was filed. But again, he’s an asshole.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris and pmv
Jul 27, 2020
Like Musk, Alec has a lot of children. Gotta keep the world's supply of A-holes replenished, I suppose.

Alec Baldwin's Lawyer Responds to FBI Forensic Report Concluding He May Have Pulled Trigger in 'Rust' Shooting | Entertainment Tonight (etonline.com)

"These new filings demonstrate various production members’ attempts from the very beginning to shirk responsibility and scapegoat Hannah, a 24-year-old armorer, for this tragedy. Hannah was tasked with doing two jobs including props assistant and the very important job as armorer but not given adequate time and training days to do so despite repeated requests or the respect required of the armorer’s position and responsibilities. This included Baldwin in particular who ignored Hannah’s requests to do specific cross draw training which would include never having his finger on the trigger during the cross draw and never pointing the weapon at anyone."

If Hannah wasn't allowed to do her job properly, she should have quit. But her past behavior (playing with guns recklessly in front of crew, almost making Nicolas Cage deaf etc.) doesn't really make her out to be a responsible armorer.

Alec Baldwin On-Set Shooting: Newly Released Police Body Cam Footage Shows Aftermath of Tragedy (etonline.com)

Alec Baldwin’s Attorney Defends Actor Amid Newly Released Police Footage From 'Rust' Set Accident (etonline.com)

‘Rust’ Assistant Director Backs Up Alec Baldwin’s Onset Shooting Details (etonline.com)

Hannah admits that she didn't have much official training. She could go to jail. And Alec and the other producers HAVE to pay in the millions, for hiring someone so green and irresponsible to handle guns and the poor safety on set.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Pictures of Hannah posing with guns have always bothered me. She looks like someone who is handling them becasue she has to, doesn't look comfortable with them. Not a good look for someone who supposedly who makes their living handling them.

And now she admits she didn't have much training? Suing an ammo company for mixing rounds? (That doesn't happen).

No surprise here. She never should have had that job, and hopefully never will again. A person like that as armorer is a danger to others regardless of the lead being an asshole.

It is funny how the magats so desperately want Baldwin to be responsible for this though, they see this as some kind of comeuppance, also some kind of bizarre commentary on liberal leaning people and guns. Baldwin raking dipshit over the coals on SNL with his impressions - unforgivable. Just another hollywood lib that belongs in prison.

Jul 27, 2020
In one of those videos, they show Alec doing the cross draw AND pulling the trigger. He probably did it habitually and now his brain has selectively repressed the memory of doing so. Or the simplest explanation: he is lying.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
It's very unlikely for a gun to fire without the trigger being pulled just from drawing it out.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Alex said that he pulled the hammer back and then released it.

I own several single action revolvers and in one certain case it is possible for the gun to fire without pulling the trigger. I tried it yesterday and managed to fire the weapon without a trigger pull 3 out of 4 times.

1. There has to be a live round in the cylinder under the hammer. Which is a bad practice and not recommended.

2. Partially pull the hammer back before the first latch is caught and before the cylinder rotates. Which is also dumb.

3. Release the hammer and allow it to fall. Hammer hits primer and Boom.

I did this 4 times and 3 of the 4 times the pistol went off.

Reactions: Captante