Question Alder Lake throttling confusion

jeffason

Dec 11, 2003
www.jeffason.com
I got my i9-12000k installed yesterday and while working on tweaking my OC settings, was confused a bit by the Package Temperature and when the speeds are throttled due to heat. Can anyone explain? More specifically:

1. Each core has individual temperature settings but I would observe these being exceeded but XTU still reported 0% thermal throttling
  2. Throttling seemed to occur when "Package Temperature" exceeded some threshold but this reading was always 10-15 degrees higher than the CPU core temp I see in other monitoring software. How is this temperature value being calculated?
  3. Should I start lowering individual core thresholds in effort to lower overall package temperature or how should I be thinking about this?

Attachments

• aioc-68percent-xtu.png
    aioc-68percent-xtu.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 13

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Intel is well known for their retarded marketing giving each feature a name of blablabla TURBO blabla, even if said feature does the opposite. I would not worry about that stuff AT all if You are not into very finetuned overclocking ( like trying to hit 5.5Ghz on few cores if the load is low and temperature is right ).

Thermal throttle happens @100C with default settings and is quite hard to hit unless overclocking or running Prime 95 workloads ( short of having bad cooler mount).

SkatterBencher on Youtube has a lot of info about ADL overclocking including OCTVB feature.

jeffason

Dec 11, 2003
www.jeffason.com
Thanks for the reply! I wish I had taken screenshots of the XTU interface yesterday, but there was a monitoring stat labeled something like "Thermal Throttling %" and when I ran this cinebench multi-core test at ASUS AIOC of 68%, I was seeing 68% thermal throttling in XTU. See attached cinebench result for this test

I ended up lowering the Optimism setting in my BIOS which reduced the AIOC to 65%, tweaked my fan speed curves, and ran the same test and got near 0% thermal throttling. I was just trying to understand how the actual temperature is calculated that could cause such drastic change in throttling % between such seemingly small clock speed adjustments

Attachments

• aioc-68percent-cinebench.png
    aioc-68percent-cinebench.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • aioc-68percent-xtu.png
    aioc-68percent-xtu.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 6
  • aioc-65percent-cinebench.png
    aioc-65percent-cinebench.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • aioc-65percent-xtu.png
    aioc-65percent-xtu.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 6

jeffason

Dec 11, 2003
www.jeffason.com
Here's some more info on my cooling setup for reference in case its helpful
  • Asus ROG Strix LC 240 AIO front mounted
  • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv with intake fan on front and exhaust on rear - no fans in top of case

Attachments

• beba2dff-c5ed-4dff-bd61-17b62c9e7278.jpg
    beba2dff-c5ed-4dff-bd61-17b62c9e7278.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 10