Question Alder Lake - Official Thread

Page 114 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
@psolord

I would think it's more of a personal preference. However, W11 would save you the hassle later of upgrading. You might even see better performance out of your 3060 with W11 vs W10. I'm running a laptop with 12700H / 3060 / W11 and it's running smooth other than some self induced issues / gremlins I'm dealing with. There are some reg hacks you can do to make W11 more appealing like functions that W10 has natively.

If you are up for it then maybe install both on separate partitions and compare the performance and then you can go back and delete whichever doesn't work well to reclaim the space using a livecd / gparted.
You know what? You are right. I already have an SSD that will be cloned onto the new nvme, so I will upgrade the nvme to 11 and do some benchmarks and I will see how it goes. Thanks.

Reactions: Tech Junky

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
Wow. Only two P-cores. Even with a discrete low end GPU, these U laptops won't be great for gaming, unlike the AMD 6000U-series. At least 3 P-cores would have catered to the minimum 6 thread decent performance requirement for 3D game engines.

gdansk

Feb 8, 2011
Of course it isn't good at gaming it's for thin and light devices. It only has 4 PCIe lanes to spare for a GPU. They shouldn't ever be equipped with discrete graphics. That's for the "28W" P or maybe the "15W" U series with a really low end GPU.

I don't think it is a bad configuration in theory but it's "9W" with a 29W PL2. Rembrandt with cTDP of 15W would probably be better performance, easier thermal design and better battery life. But it's Dell.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Wow. Only two P-cores. Even with a discrete low end GPU, these U laptops won't be great for gaming, unlike the AMD 6000U-series. At least 3 P-cores would have catered to the minimum 6 thread decent performance requirement for 3D game engines.
As far as I can tell at Dell, all of their Alder U laptops come with IGP only. Even P only had two mx* models and that's it. If you want discrete you have to buy H pretty much.

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
I'm just saying that Intel's screwed. Those E-cores won't do any favors for gaming but a Ryzen 6000U laptop won't be hampered like that. First servers and now thin and light laptops. Intel's screwed. Well, at least on paper. AMD doesn't have enough supply so Intel still cashes in on the demand with an inferior product.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I'm just saying that Intel's screwed. Those E-cores won't do any favors for gaming but a Ryzen 6000U laptop won't be hampered like that. First servers and now thin and light laptops. Intel's screwed. Well, at least on paper. AMD doesn't have enough supply so Intel still cashes in on the demand with an inferior product.
Seems most of the Ryzen laptops with discrete are also H too.

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
I know you guys only look at high end, but low end Alderlake Killed it.

Those low power cpu like pentium 8505 or i3 1215u made whole used market obsolete.

Like Pentium 8505 can match i7 10610u

i3 1215U is more powerfull than top of the line Tigerlake i7 1195G7

Reactions: lobz

lobz

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2017
I know you guys only look at high end, but low end Alderlake Killed it.

Those low power cpu like pentium 8505 or i3 1215u made whole used market obsolete.

Like Pentium 8505 can match i7 10610u

i3 1215U is more powerfull than top of the line Tigerlake i7 1195G7
I'm not sure how many people in the second hand market were out to buy a 10610u specifically, but... yes, you're right there! ADL low-end is just freaking dandy. Kinda sad, that in the end, this phenomenon only hurts Intel's bottom line in a sense and doesn't even scratch AMD's bottom line at all, because we're probably not gonna see really aggressively competitive AMD products on the lower end for the foreseeable future 😑😑😑

Reactions: igor_kavinski

ASK THE COMMUNITY