Alaska Republicans are the WORST: $500,000 to paint a fish on a plane

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Your tax dollars at work:

Alaska Airlines takes flying fish to a whole new level
$500,000 grant from federal funding pays for custom paint job on company's passenger jet

By WESLEY LOY
Anchorage Daily News

Published: October 2, 2005
Last Modified: October 2, 2005 at 03:07 AM

So, you landed a big king salmon this summer? It can't compare to the colossal king Alaska Airlines plans to land this morning in Anchorage.

The Seattle-based carrier has painted nearly the full length of a Boeing 737-400 passenger jet as a wild Alaska king, or chinook, salmon. The airline has dubbed its flying fish the "Salmon-Thirty-Salmon."

It's a bold promotional move to celebrate wild Alaska seafood and also the carrier's role in hauling millions of pounds of fresh salmon, halibut, crab, shrimp and other seafood out of the state each year.

The fishy paint job was done on a grand scale, company spokesmen said. A team of 30 painters and airbrush artists used more than 140 gallons of paint and took 24 days to render the lifelike chinook -- triple the time normally needed to coat an airliner.

"There's no question, at least in my mind, that this is the finest airline art ever conceived," said Bill MacKay, the company's Anchorage-based senior vice president. "People will just be amazed at the detail."

A local nonprofit agency, the Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board, gave Alaska Airlines a $500,000 grant to paint the jet. The money came out of about $29 million in federal funding U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska and his congressional colleagues have appropriated to the marketing board, created in 2003, to promote and enhance the value of Alaska seafood. The senator's son, state Sen. Ben Stevens, is chairman of the agency's board of directors.

The state's commercial salmon industry has struggled for years due to competition from foreign, farm-raised salmon, but the promotional dollars are helping the industry make a comeback, said Bill Hines, the marketing board's executive director.

Many commercial fishermen and industry boosters have dreamed of seeing an Alaska Airlines jet emblazoned with a fish,( ) Hines said. Alaska Airlines approached the marketing board with the idea, and the board awarded the grant.

"I thought the concept was absolutely right on," Hines said. "You have a flying billboard going all over the West Coast as well as places like Chicago, Denver, Dallas and Mexico."

Alaska Airlines spokesmen say the salmon jet will be part of the carrier's regular passenger fleet, which will take it across more of the country than the combination passenger-cargo jets that serve rural Alaska and carry much of the state's prodigious seafood harvest.

The jet isn't the airline's only plane with a themed paint job. It also has two jets bearing Walt Disney characters such as Mickey Mouse and Tinker Bell.

The salmon jet will fly four or five years before it needs new paint, and it's possible the chinook will get another tour, airline spokeswoman Amanda Tobin said.

Matt Yerbic, managing director of cargo, said Alaska Airlines will carry between 30 and 40 million pounds of seafood this year.

"That should be an all-time record for us," he said.

The salmon jet will call attention to the state's wild fish and the seafood industry's close partnership with Alaska Airlines, which serves many important Alaska fishing ports, airline executives said.

"We're hopeful this is going to create quite a stir," MacKay said. Hines is sure of that.

The jetliner is about 120 feet long, with the speckled blue and silver chinook running from just behind the pilot's window all the way back along the fuselage and, swish, up the tail fin.

"I mean, this thing is going to turn heads," Hines said. "It's a very visible symbol."

http://www.adn.com/front/story/7038924p-6942571c.html

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9900/fishac4lz.jpg

I'm at a loss for words.

California
Population: 35,484,453
Per Capita: $4.97

Texas
Population: 22,118,509
Per Capita: $ 5.24

New York
Population: 19,190,115
Per Capita: $ 5.41
Alaska
Population: 648,818
Per Capita: $30.18

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is a giant advertisement paid for by a board named "Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board" that was created to enhance the vlue of Alaskan seafood.

This isnt rocket science. I suppose they could have spent the money on TV ads around the country. But for 500K it appears they are getting their money's worth by getting time on local and national news + print space, which is the obvious point of the painting.

Sep 12, 2004
Yeah, it's a promotion for one of Alskas big economic enhancers, so it's no real surprise.

But whoever came up with "Salmon-Thirty-Salmon" should be shot, drawn, and quartered, then fed to the sharks.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
This is a giant advertisement paid for by a board named "Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board" that was created to enhance the vlue of Alaskan seafood.

This isnt rocket science. I suppose they could have spent the money on TV ads around the country. But for 500K it appears they are getting their money's worth by getting time on local and national news + print space, which is the obvious point of the painting.

Why is the taxpayers responsibility to pay for an industry's advertising? Should we pay Denver-based Frontier to paint big mountians and ski slopes on thier planes? (or should I say borrow more money from China to pay....)

If they are getting air time on Tv and news its due to the fact this is such a rediculous waste of money.

Jun 27, 2005

Exactly. The plane in the long run will be a better ad value than buying up a bunch of :30 ads that only air over the course of 30 or so days.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Exactly. The plane in the long run will be a better ad value than buying up a bunch of :30 ads that only air over the course of 30 or so days.

And yet everyone else but Alaska is paying for it. If you want to advertise your state by whatever absurd means necessary, fine, go for it, I don't really care. But it should be up to your state to pay for it.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Hafen

Why is the taxpayers responsibility to pay for an industry's advertising? Should we pay Denver-based Frontier to paint big mountians and ski slopes on thier planes? (or should I say borrow more money from China to pay....)

If they are getting air time on Tv and news its due to the fact this is such a rediculous waste of money.

You watch ads every day that are paid for from monies acquired through government grants. This isn't a new thing.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Strk

And yet everyone else but Alaska is paying for it. If you want to advertise your state by whatever absurd means necessary, fine, go for it, I don't really care. But it should be up to your state to pay for it.

Are we supposed to apologize for having the single most effective congressional team in the country?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

The govt does all sorts of advertising for various industries nationally and internationally. It is designed to sell the product of the country and help the industries.

Frontier puts ski slopes and mountains on their planes because they are based out of Denver. It is advertising for Frontier, and why would the govt pay for it when the company is more than happy to do it themselves?

And havent you ever heard of the phrase "All publicity is good publicity"?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Are we supposed to apologize for having the single most effective congressional team in the country?

I'd be more ashamed than anything else. They get money for some of the most wasteful projects out there.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I'd be more ashamed than anything else. They get money for some of the most wasteful projects out there.

How is promoting a major industry within the state "wasteful"?

I can think of many other things that are far more wasteful then this. Like for instance building a 250 million dollar bridge for 28 people. Now that is fvcking wasteful!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001

I can think of many other things that are far more wasteful then this. Like for instance building a 250 million dollar bridge for 28 people. Now that is fvcking wasteful!

It's the same state!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

It's the same state!

I know, that was my point.

Jun 27, 2005

Most of the recent projects that people are harping over have been grossly misrepresented by a media looking for anything to bash republicans for. Stevens gets funding for a bridge to connect the fastest growing community in Alaska (Wasilla/Palmer 70,000+) to Anchorage thus cutting an hour of drive time to 20 minutes and how is it reported? "Hundredds of Millions of Dollars Spent to Build a Bridge to a Town With a Population of ONE". Give me a break.

We're a young, rural state that has serious infrastructure needs. There are litterally hundreds of communities that have no plumbing. (They shlt in a pot) Not to mention the roads and bridges that need to be built to support one of the fastest growing populations in the country.

Our guys are no more or less guilty of pork than any other congressional team. But when it comes to bringing home the money for much needed infrastructure expansion and other vital needs... Our guys are the best.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I'm not getting the big deal. Taxpayer money is going to help an Alaskan industry that, in turn, will help generate more revenue for the state, thus (theoretically) reducing the state's reliance on federal tax dollars. Sounds a lot like boot-strapping to me. I suppose federal Pell grants are wasteful as well? Perhaps you would have been happier if that $0.5 Million would have gone to some inept social program that would simply have generated a larger need for more funding in the near future?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
Your tax dollars at work:

Alaska Airlines takes flying fish to a whole new level
$500,000 grant from federal funding pays for custom paint job on company's passenger jet

By WESLEY LOY
Anchorage Daily News

Published: October 2, 2005
Last Modified: October 2, 2005 at 03:07 AM

So, you landed a big king salmon this summer? It can't compare to the colossal king Alaska Airlines plans to land this morning in Anchorage.

The Seattle-based carrier has painted nearly the full length of a Boeing 737-400 passenger jet as a wild Alaska king, or chinook, salmon. The airline has dubbed its flying fish the "Salmon-Thirty-Salmon."

It's a bold promotional move to celebrate wild Alaska seafood and also the carrier's role in hauling millions of pounds of fresh salmon, halibut, crab, shrimp and other seafood out of the state each year.

The fishy paint job was done on a grand scale, company spokesmen said. A team of 30 painters and airbrush artists used more than 140 gallons of paint and took 24 days to render the lifelike chinook -- triple the time normally needed to coat an airliner.

"There's no question, at least in my mind, that this is the finest airline art ever conceived," said Bill MacKay, the company's Anchorage-based senior vice president. "People will just be amazed at the detail."

A local nonprofit agency, the Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board, gave Alaska Airlines a $500,000 grant to paint the jet. The money came out of about $29 million in federal funding U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska and his congressional colleagues have appropriated to the marketing board, created in 2003, to promote and enhance the value of Alaska seafood. The senator's son, state Sen. Ben Stevens, is chairman of the agency's board of directors.

The state's commercial salmon industry has struggled for years due to competition from foreign, farm-raised salmon, but the promotional dollars are helping the industry make a comeback, said Bill Hines, the marketing board's executive director.

Many commercial fishermen and industry boosters have dreamed of seeing an Alaska Airlines jet emblazoned with a fish,( ) Hines said. Alaska Airlines approached the marketing board with the idea, and the board awarded the grant.

"I thought the concept was absolutely right on," Hines said. "You have a flying billboard going all over the West Coast as well as places like Chicago, Denver, Dallas and Mexico."

Alaska Airlines spokesmen say the salmon jet will be part of the carrier's regular passenger fleet, which will take it across more of the country than the combination passenger-cargo jets that serve rural Alaska and carry much of the state's prodigious seafood harvest.

The jet isn't the airline's only plane with a themed paint job. It also has two jets bearing Walt Disney characters such as Mickey Mouse and Tinker Bell.

The salmon jet will fly four or five years before it needs new paint, and it's possible the chinook will get another tour, airline spokeswoman Amanda Tobin said.

Matt Yerbic, managing director of cargo, said Alaska Airlines will carry between 30 and 40 million pounds of seafood this year.

"That should be an all-time record for us," he said.

The salmon jet will call attention to the state's wild fish and the seafood industry's close partnership with Alaska Airlines, which serves many important Alaska fishing ports, airline executives said.

"We're hopeful this is going to create quite a stir," MacKay said. Hines is sure of that.

The jetliner is about 120 feet long, with the speckled blue and silver chinook running from just behind the pilot's window all the way back along the fuselage and, swish, up the tail fin.

"I mean, this thing is going to turn heads," Hines said. "It's a very visible symbol."

http://www.adn.com/front/story/7038924p-6942571c.html

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9900/fishac4lz.jpg

I'm at a loss for words.

California
Population: 35,484,453
Per Capita: $4.97

Texas
Population: 22,118,509
Per Capita: $ 5.24

New York
Population: 19,190,115
Per Capita: $ 5.41
Alaska
Population: 648,818
Per Capita: $30.18

Err it was $500K that came out of 29Mil federal funding appropriated to Alaska Fisheries marketing board... the fact that it's on the news is good marketting in my head.

Jun 27, 2005

It's a specific industry within a state... not the state itself.

"Beef... It's what's for dinner"
"Got milk?"
"Good cheese comes from happy cows"

Who do you think paid for those ads? And I guarantee you they spent more money than the Alaska Seafood industry spent on that stupid fish plane.

filterxg

Nov 2, 2004
Sen Stevens is in the post Dashale (sp?) era the biggest porker on the hill...that is well known.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

"Got milk?"

Who do you think paid for those ads? And I guarantee you they spent more money than the Alaska Seafood industry spent on that stupid fish plane.

Farmers also have to pay into the Beef council to pay for lobbying and advertisements. As far as Pell grants go, there is a needs test to most college grants. Is the industry broke? If They are not competitive, why is the taxpayers responsibility to prop them up against market forces? Just how many Pell grants would that have bought? We're in a shortage of domestic engineers and scientists, perhaps that would have been a better investment instead of having to rely so heavily on foriegn immigration. Productive educated workers are for more useful than that rediculous plane.
My company doesn't get money from the govt to market our products. Should the govt pay Tiger Woods to sell Nikes to Europeans and Asians?

If your states residents are too poor to buy a toilet to sh!t in, perhaps they should seek out one of those Pell grants to get an education and buy thier own freakin crapper instead of relying on govt to provide for them.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Is it a good thing they didn't spend that money helpen poor people or the repbulician s here would be reall pussed

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
What's ironic is that the exact same politicians who promoted and funded this scheme, and their constituency, are the exact same people who get their panties twisted in knots about the "welfare state" mentality of the Democrats. Such hypocrisy.

Sep 12, 2004

"Got milk?"

Farmers also have to pay into the Beef council to pay for lobbying and advertisements. As far as Pell grants go, there is a needs test to most college grants. Is the industry broke? If They are not competitive, why is the taxpayers responsibility to prop them up against market forces? Just how many Pell grants would that have bought? We're in a shortage of domestic engineers and scientists, perhaps that would have been a better investment instead of having to rely so heavily on foriegn immigration. Productive educated workers are for more useful than that rediculous plane.
My company doesn't get money from the govt to market our products. Should the govt pay Tiger Woods to sell Nikes to Europeans and Asians?

If your states residents are too poor to buy a toilet to sh!t in, perhaps they should seek out one of those Pell grants to get an education and buy thier own freakin crapper instead of relying on govt to provide for them.
This is not about individual manufacturers, so your Nike analogy just doesn't fit. This is about promoting industries within each state. Not to mention that those industries make money that returns as taxes to the federal government, which is why the fed promotes them in the first place and pays the states federal tax dollars to do so.

Jun 27, 2005

"Got milk?"

Eeesh... You should really know what you're tallking about before you sit down in front of that keyboard.

So they buy a toilet. Then what? They still have to flush it into something. These communities are very rural. They have no plumbing and no water supply... therefore no sewer in which to flush a toilet.

It's not about being poor. Most of those villages live a subsistance lifestyle much as they have for thousands of years. Of course now they have ATVs and Snowmachines to hunt things down with and their dividends from their shares in whatever native corporation they belong to provides them with a fair income in most cases. The idea is to get their infrastructures up to modern specs. The system they use now (and have used for all of history) is unsanitary and breeds disease. Upgrading that system to a safe, sanitary one is a function of government.

Also, Alaskan fishermen and crabbers DO pay into the system just like beef and dairy farmers do. And just like the beef and dairy farmers they get millions of dollars from the federal government to promote their products both domestically and overseas. So why is this any different to you? If anything you should be complimentary on the fact that the plane will be a functional ad platform long after any TV or Print ads would have expired. As far as promotional ad dollars go, I think these were well spent. Right now it looks like they are getting more milage and publicity out of this plane than any $500k TV ad campaign would have generated.