Alaska Republicans are the WORST: $500,000 to paint a fish on a plane

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Phokus, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Phokus

Phokus Lifer

Your tax dollars at work:

http://www.adn.com/front/story/7038924p-6942571c.html

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9900/fishac4lz.jpg

I'm at a loss for words.

2. Genx87

Genx87 Lifer

This is a giant advertisement paid for by a board named "Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board" that was created to enhance the vlue of Alaskan seafood.

This isnt rocket science. I suppose they could have spent the money on TV ads around the country. But for 500K it appears they are getting their money's worth by getting time on local and national news + print space, which is the obvious point of the painting.

3. TastesLikeChicken

Yeah, it's a promotion for one of Alskas big economic enhancers, so it's no real surprise.

But whoever came up with "Salmon-Thirty-Salmon" should be shot, drawn, and quartered, then fed to the sharks.

4. Bitek

Bitek Diamond Member

Why is the taxpayers responsibility to pay for an industry's advertising? Should we pay Denver-based Frontier to paint big mountians and ski slopes on thier planes? (or should I say borrow more money from China to pay....)

If they are getting air time on Tv and news its due to the fact this is such a rediculous waste of money.

5. Whoozyerdaddy

Exactly. The plane in the long run will be a better ad value than buying up a bunch of :30 ads that only air over the course of 30 or so days.

6. Strk

Strk Lifer

And yet everyone else but Alaska is paying for it. If you want to advertise your state by whatever absurd means necessary, fine, go for it, I don't really care. But it should be up to your state to pay for it.

7. Whoozyerdaddy

You watch ads every day that are paid for from monies acquired through government grants. This isn't a new thing.

8. Whoozyerdaddy

Are we supposed to apologize for having the single most effective congressional team in the country?

9. Genx87

Genx87 Lifer

The govt does all sorts of advertising for various industries nationally and internationally. It is designed to sell the product of the country and help the industries.

Frontier puts ski slopes and mountains on their planes because they are based out of Denver. It is advertising for Frontier, and why would the govt pay for it when the company is more than happy to do it themselves?

And havent you ever heard of the phrase "All publicity is good publicity"?

10. Strk

Strk Lifer

I'd be more ashamed than anything else. They get money for some of the most wasteful projects out there.

11. Genx87

Genx87 Lifer

How is promoting a major industry within the state "wasteful"?

I can think of many other things that are far more wasteful then this. Like for instance building a 250 million dollar bridge for 28 people. Now that is fvcking wasteful!

12. bamacre

bamacre Lifer

Democrats do not care about Alaskan people.

13. BaliBabyDoc

BaliBabyDoc Lifer

It's the same state!

14. Genx87

Genx87 Lifer

I know, that was my point.

15. Whoozyerdaddy

Most of the recent projects that people are harping over have been grossly misrepresented by a media looking for anything to bash republicans for. Stevens gets funding for a bridge to connect the fastest growing community in Alaska (Wasilla/Palmer 70,000+) to Anchorage thus cutting an hour of drive time to 20 minutes and how is it reported? "Hundredds of Millions of Dollars Spent to Build a Bridge to a Town With a Population of ONE". Give me a break.

We're a young, rural state that has serious infrastructure needs. There are litterally hundreds of communities that have no plumbing. (They shlt in a pot) Not to mention the roads and bridges that need to be built to support one of the fastest growing populations in the country.

Our guys are no more or less guilty of pork than any other congressional team. But when it comes to bringing home the money for much needed infrastructure expansion and other vital needs... Our guys are the best.

16. cKGunslinger

cKGunslinger Lifer

I'm not getting the big deal. Taxpayer money is going to help an Alaskan industry that, in turn, will help generate more revenue for the state, thus (theoretically) reducing the state's reliance on federal tax dollars. Sounds a lot like boot-strapping to me. I suppose federal Pell grants are wasteful as well? Perhaps you would have been happier if that $0.5 Million would have gone to some inept social program that would simply have generated a larger need for more funding in the near future?

17. halik

halik Lifer

Err it was $500K that came out of 29Mil federal funding appropriated to Alaska Fisheries marketing board... the fact that it's on the news is good marketting in my head.

18. Whoozyerdaddy

It's a specific industry within a state... not the state itself.

"Beef... It's what's for dinner"
    "Got milk?"
    "Good cheese comes from happy cows"

Who do you think paid for those ads? And I guarantee you they spent more money than the Alaska Seafood industry spent on that stupid fish plane.

19. filterxg

filterxg Senior member

Sen Stevens is in the post Dashale (sp?) era the biggest porker on the hill...that is well known.

20. Strk

Strk Lifer

Maybe we can just sell off Alaska?

21. Bitek

Bitek Diamond Member

Farmers also have to pay into the Beef council to pay for lobbying and advertisements. As far as Pell grants go, there is a needs test to most college grants. Is the industry broke? If They are not competitive, why is the taxpayers responsibility to prop them up against market forces? Just how many Pell grants would that have bought? We're in a shortage of domestic engineers and scientists, perhaps that would have been a better investment instead of having to rely so heavily on foriegn immigration. Productive educated workers are for more useful than that rediculous plane.
    My company doesn't get money from the govt to market our products. Should the govt pay Tiger Woods to sell Nikes to Europeans and Asians?

If your states residents are too poor to buy a toilet to sh!t in, perhaps they should seek out one of those Pell grants to get an education and buy thier own freakin crapper instead of relying on govt to provide for them.

22. smack Down

smack Down Diamond Member

Is it a good thing they didn't spend that money helpen poor people or the repbulician s here would be reall pussed

23. Thump553

Thump553 Diamond Member

What's ironic is that the exact same politicians who promoted and funded this scheme, and their constituency, are the exact same people who get their panties twisted in knots about the "welfare state" mentality of the Democrats. Such hypocrisy.

24. TastesLikeChicken

This is not about individual manufacturers, so your Nike analogy just doesn't fit. This is about promoting industries within each state. Not to mention that those industries make money that returns as taxes to the federal government, which is why the fed promotes them in the first place and pays the states federal tax dollars to do so.

25. Whoozyerdaddy

Eeesh... You should really know what you're tallking about before you sit down in front of that keyboard.

So they buy a toilet. Then what? They still have to flush it into something. These communities are very rural. They have no plumbing and no water supply... therefore no sewer in which to flush a toilet.

It's not about being poor. Most of those villages live a subsistance lifestyle much as they have for thousands of years. Of course now they have ATVs and Snowmachines to hunt things down with and their dividends from their shares in whatever native corporation they belong to provides them with a fair income in most cases. The idea is to get their infrastructures up to modern specs. The system they use now (and have used for all of history) is unsanitary and breeds disease. Upgrading that system to a safe, sanitary one is a function of government.

Also, Alaskan fishermen and crabbers DO pay into the system just like beef and dairy farmers do. And just like the beef and dairy farmers they get millions of dollars from the federal government to promote their products both domestically and overseas. So why is this any different to you? If anything you should be complimentary on the fact that the plane will be a functional ad platform long after any TV or Print ads would have expired. As far as promotional ad dollars go, I think these were well spent. Right now it looks like they are getting more milage and publicity out of this plane than any $500k TV ad campaign would have generated.