Alaska cancels Snow Crab season

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This really sucks. :(

Red king crab is my absolute favorite seafood. (and maybe my favorite food period)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Meh...in the mid-70's, just before I started my apprenticeship, I worked as a driver-salesman for a wholesale fish company. Being low man, I had the privilege of preparing crab for the local hotel crab feeds. I'd take a couple hundred lbs of frozen crab (usually snow crab, but king crab and dungeness as well) out of the freezer, thaw it in a tub of water, then stand at a stainless steel table with a rubber mallet, cracking the crab.
I'd smash some, eat some, smash some, eat some more...by the time the summer was over, I was sick of crab...and still don't like it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Meh...in the mid-70's, just before I started my apprenticeship, I worked as a driver-salesman for a wholesale fish company. Being low man, I had the privilege of preparing crab for the local hotel crab feeds. I'd take a couple hundred lbs of frozen crab (usually snow crab, but king crab and dungeness as well) out of the freezer, thaw it in a tub of water, then stand at a stainless steel table with a rubber mallet, cracking the crab.
I'd smash some, eat some, smash some, eat some more...by the time the summer was over, I was sick of crab...and still don't like it.

Proof it's completely possible to overdo anything for $500 Alex? ;)

Actually I had a similar experience with raw oysters and clams after volunteering to shuck at a festival .... couldn't even look at them for several years!

EDIT: I love them again now though thank goodness. :)

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I heard they have moved north due to warmer waters and that the water north is too rough to fish.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I love crab, but it's always been an in moderation thing for me. Generally anything more than one set of legs or a few legs of king and I've had enough.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I suspect 'missing' in this context means 'they fucked off and we aren't really sure where they went, but probably north/deep'.
It's been ridiculously warn here in the PNW. I wouldn't be surprise if yet again, the waters are too warm due to...wait for it...global warming. Salmon are going to be extinct the way things are going. Oh, and due to the increase acidity in the water, shellfish are going to go to shit also.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's been ridiculously warn here in the PNW. I wouldn't be surprise if yet again, the waters are too warm due to...wait for it...global warming. Salmon are going to be extinct the way things are going. Oh, and due to the increase acidity in the water, shellfish are going to go to shit also.
Don't forget the plankton. When they eat shit, the rest of the ocean ecosystem is gonna go with them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I think it hit 65 here today...but there MIGHT be some rain finally this coming weekend.

Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
That's certainly possible...but they're saying a BILLION crabs are "missing" from the fishery.
One? I thought there was 8 a couple of years back, last year 1 and now gone... its not like it's not been coming.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
One? I thought there was 8 a couple of years back, last year 1 and now gone... its not like it's not been coming.

The news stories have changed from "One billion crabs missing" to "as many as eight billion crabs missing."

But...have no fear...mother nature abhors a vacuum...

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Proof it's completely possible to overdo anything for $500 Alex? ;)

Actually I had a similar experience with raw oysters and clams after volunteering to shuck at a festival .... couldn't even look at them for several years!

EDIT: I love them again now though thank goodness. :)
I will NEVER touch oysters again… so sick… both ends….

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I will NEVER touch oysters again… so sick… both ends….

Yeah .... once you get really sick on a type of food it's really tough to ever "like" it again!

Fortunately at least so far I've yet to catch anything of significance eating raw seafood of any kind. (beyond a mild case of the hershey-squirts)

• Haha
Reactions: cytg111

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yeah .... once you get really sick on a type of food it's really tough to ever "like" it again!

Fortunately at least so far I've yet to catch anything of significance eating raw seafood of any kind. (beyond a mild case of the hershey-squirts)
2 fifths of Bourbon Supreme neatly killed me...I was 15. I was sick for almost a week. Just the smell of bourbon anything (or Jack Daniels) makes me want to hurl.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
2 fifths of Bourbon Supreme neatly killed me...I was 15. I was sick for almost a week. Just the smell of bourbon anything (or Jack Daniels) makes me want to hurl.
Rum and Coke at .25 a cent shot night at Mad Hatters in Atlanta. Can't touch the stuff. Not that I touch any of the shit anymore. 2 day hangover.

Reactions: cytg111

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
We care about clean air and clean water, we just don't try to socialize the economy to do it.
The economy is what pollutes the air and water. You can't have both. Either we have clean air and water, or we have unfettered capitalism. Pick one.

Reactions: Captante