Alarmingly high temps on 4850

twjr

Jul 5, 2006
Just noticed these temps when I was playing Crysis Warhead and guess that it has probably been running this hot for about 3 months since I got it. Is this likely to cause damage in the long term?

I have done fan mods and replaced the thermal paste a number of times with varying amounts of AS5. I have pretty good air flow with a 120mm high speed fan directly onto the card and 2 120mm extraction fans.

My other card with the exact same fan and paste treatment runs at 20 degrees cooler. Is it possible that this card just runs really hot or could there be something else happening here? Also besides resorting to a new cooler are there any other ways to cool the card?

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Are you sure you didn't use too much AS5, or something? And what "fan mods" are you talking about? Your card shouldn't be running that hot - you must be really close to its maximum temperature.

edit: After a bit of googling, it looks like a 4850's thermal limit is 120+C. I still wouldn't be comfortable running a card that close to its max, though.

twjr

Jul 5, 2006
I have used from what I thought would be way too little AS5 to too much and there was no change in temps. The 'fan mod' I use is a BIOS edit. My fan is 50% at idle and spins up to 100% by the time the card is at 100C.

Yeah I saw that it can take a bit of heat too but it surely can't be good for it. I mean I could literally boil water on my card if I wanted.