Alan Wake coming to PC in 'early 2012'

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Am I doing something wrong? Easy mode, still having trouble getting through episode 3.

Not enough ammo and even batteries. what are you suppose to do without an ammo?
I use my ammo sparingly and only utilize flashbangs and flares if neccessary.

Are you using the flashlight to weaken them? Do the strong setting on them until they stagger/flash and then hit them with a couple of rounds. Should kill them.

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
Are you using the flashlight to weaken them? Do the strong setting on them until they stagger/flash and then hit them with a couple of rounds. Should kill them.

Yeah, I am flashing them strong to turn them from darkness, but there are just too many from all angles.

I was going through the forest and there were at least 6 of them from every angle.
Am I suppose to just pass and run toward the light?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Am I doing something wrong? Easy mode, still having trouble getting through episode 3.

Not enough ammo and even batteries. what are you suppose to do without an ammo?
I use my ammo sparingly and only utilize flashbangs and flares if neccessary.

Interesting. I'm playing through on Normal, and I've only ran out of ammo one time... (come to think of it, it was episode 3, but I quickly sprinted away into a safe haven).

I've never even come close to running out of batteries.

Some tips:

• While the aiming in this game is very loose, I'm pretty sure it's still important. Be sure your flashlight is directly aimed at the enemy before firing at them.
  • To be more specific: The regular-sized enemies should only take 2-3 revolver shots to kill. For the bigger enemies, switch to the shotgun. The big enemies should take no more than 2 or 3 shotgun blasts to kill. If they take anymore shots than that, you're doing something wrong, or you're missing.
  • Don't boost your flashlight unless absolutely necessary. Keep your distance, and simply shine your flashlight at enemies (WITHOUT boosting it) to dwindle them down. Only boost it if they're really close and you need to blind them for a second.
  • Speaking of, only use flares when you're completely surrounded. Keep holding the flare and use it to dwindle down the enemy's darkness at the same time, so get up in their face and keep walking toward them while holding it.
  • Sometimes in situations with tons of enemies surrounding you, it's just better to use a flashbang rather than waste all that ammo to try and kill each one of them individually.
  • You may have already known this (I didn't figure it out for a while though): If you shine your flashlight on an enemy and the light is orange, that means it's having no effect... which means you NEED to boost it in order to kill it. This is usually only for bigger stuff like trucks that get posessed.

Hmm... that's all I can think of. But yeah, I've almost never had a problem with running out of ammo. In the event that you do run out, sprint to the nearest save haven or light. Depending on the area, they won't chase you anymore after that.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Yeah, I am flashing them strong to turn them from darkness, but there are just too many from all angles.

I was going through the forest and there were at least 6 of them from every angle.
Am I suppose to just pass and run toward the light?

I'm only in Ep 2, but I was wondering something. If you randomly run deep into the forest/off the road/trail/game directed area, do the shadow dudes spawn automatically/continuously to force you back toward the objective area? I'm beginning to think they do, and if that's the case you may be using a lot more ammo than necessary if you're like me and enjoy exploring every nook and cranny of the forest for giggles.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Interesting. I'm playing through on Normal, and I've only ran out of ammo one time... (come to think of it, it was episode 3, but I quickly sprinted away into a safe haven).

I've never even come close to running out of batteries.

Some tips:

• While the aiming in this game is very loose, I'm pretty sure it's still important. Be sure your flashlight is directly aimed at the enemy before firing at them.
  • To be more specific: The regular-sized enemies should only take 2-3 revolver shots to kill. For the bigger enemies, switch to the shotgun. The big enemies should take no more than 2 or 3 shotgun blasts to kill. If they take anymore shots than that, you're doing something wrong, or you're missing.
  • Don't boost your flashlight unless absolutely necessary. Keep your distance, and simply shine your flashlight at enemies (WITHOUT boosting it) to dwindle them down. Only boost it if they're really close and you need to blind them for a second.
  • Speaking of, only use flares when you're completely surrounded. Keep holding the flare and use it to dwindle down the enemy's darkness at the same time, so get up in their face and keep walking toward them while holding it.
  • Sometimes in situations with tons of enemies surrounding you, it's just better to use a flashbang rather than waste all that ammo to try and kill each one of them individually.
  • You may have already known this (I didn't figure it out for a while though): If you shine your flashlight on an enemy and the light is orange, that means it's having no effect... which means you NEED to boost it in order to kill it. This is usually only for bigger stuff like trucks that get posessed.

Hmm... that's all I can think of. But yeah, I've almost never had a problem with running out of ammo. In the event that you do run out, sprint to the nearest save haven or light. Depending on the area, they won't chase you anymore after that.

I didn't realize you could hold the flare, I thought they automatically got tossed on the ground.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I didn't realize you could hold the flare, I thought they automatically got tossed on the ground.

Me too. How do you keep holding on to the flare? Keep RB (on Xbox gamepad, no idea about keyboard) pressed?

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
Me too. How do you keep holding on to the flare? Keep RB (on Xbox gamepad, no idea about keyboard) pressed?

ya so long as you hold it down you'll keep holding it up. you move slower and you can't shoot though.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Yup, keep holding down RB (or the equivalent button on keyboard) and you will continue to hold the flare. Let go of RB, and you'll drop it on the ground. Useful because you can literally walk right in front of an enemy, shove the flare in their face, and there's nothing they can do to you besides slowly stumble backward. But as soon as the flare goes out, then stand the hell back. lol

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I almost can't get enough of this game. Mind you I only play for an hour or two here and there. Tough when you have kids....

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
I almost can't get enough of this game. Mind you I only play for an hour or two here and there. Tough when you have kids....

That's probably for the best since it does get kind of repetitive. The story was what held my interest and kept me coming back for more.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
That's probably for the best since it does get kind of repetitive. The story was what held my interest and kept me coming back for more.

Same here. While the combat portions of the game are somewhat repetitive, it's saved by the fact that the combat is fun and satisfying to do. That, combined with the good storyline, is what made me keep playing. It's also worth mentioning that at least it has some variation in locations, rather than just the same forest over and over (mine, farm, town, mill, etc, etc).

I finished it last night. Took me 12 hours on normal, and that's not including the DLC episodes which I haven't played yet. I thought the story wrapped up nicely. I'm quite pleased. Definitely one of the most compelling, well-made games I've played in a while.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
haven't finished it yet, but i love the cameo appearance of Sam Lake (max payne 1 character). Awesome!

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Alan Wake PC recoups dev costs within 48 hours, patches incoming

Gentle reader, be warmed by the happy ending to the oft-sad story of Alan Wake's PC edition. It once seemed there'd be no PC release at all, but developer Remedy took matters into its own hands. Since then, the team has revealed that it had more than earned back the money it spent making the jazzed-up port within only 48 hours on sale.

Now Remedy has planned a series of PC patches, bringing fixes and changes including a free camera mode, for those who want to really explore Bright Falls.

You all know the sordid tale: publisher Microsoft had originally sanctioned PC and Xbox 360 versions, but as time wore on, a PC release seemed less and less likely, until MS declared it dead in 2010. Seems there's legs in this 'PC' platform yet.

"We are very happy with the sales and hitting #1 on Steam at launch was nothing short of amazing," Remedy EVP Aki Järvilehto posted on the Alan Wake forums yesterday, after the game launched last week. "We recouped our development and marketing expenses during the first 48 hours. And yes, we're certainly very excited about PC."

Remedy also had to get the PC publishing rights off Microsoft, which presumably cost a penny or two, but it's all jolly good news.

The first planned patch is expected to launch this week, Remedy CTO Markus Maki explained in a forum post, with a second patch next week and another some time after that. They'll mostly bring fixes, but a few new features too, so have a gander at the planned notes.

via: http://www.shacknews.com/article/72544/alan-wake-pc-recoups-dev-costs-within-48-hours

Last edited: