Alan Wake coming to PC in 'early 2012'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
The comments under the rockpapershotgun article are funny read.

So, according to some of the posters - the DLC for Alan Wake continued the story of the main game? Microsoft didn't include the entire plot, and made you buy the DLC to finish it?

Please tell me that's not true.

I haven't played the game, but from what I've read, the DLCs don't provide any sort of closure to the story. It's meant to be an ongoing story, like a TV series, and the original game provides a satisfying gaming experience, but don't expect a clear ending that answers all your questions.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I remember their main reason for making it an Xbox 360 exclusive was "it's experienced best in front of a TV while sitting on a couch". Because you can't do that on a PC, right? RIGHT? D:

Got it on the Xbox because of that... game was fun. Could have been so much better on a PC with high def graphics... Not buying it again unless it's 20 euro or less.

RoboChobo

Jul 20, 2011
Looks like they released the system requirements for alan wake pc.

• PROCESSOR: A dual core processor is required:
    • AMd Athlon X2 2.8GHz
    • Intel: Core 2 Duo 2GHz
  • MEMORY: 2 GB
  • HARD DRIVE: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARd DirectX 10 compatible or later with 512MB RAM
    • AMd ATI Radeon 3650, 4450, 5550, 6450 or higher (per series)
    • NVIDIA: GeForce 8600GT, 9500GT, GT120, GT430, GT520 (per series)
  • SOUND CARd DirectX 9.0c compatible
  • INPUT: Mouse and keyboard, Xbox360 controller also supported

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/23/a...et-for-february-system-requirements-detailed/

I bought it on the xbox360 when it first came out for like $59 or 69 and was well worth the cash, I really enjoyed it.

I just hope its less than $40 on the PC.

RoboChobo

Jul 20, 2011
More info out SO HAPPY!!

What is the release date?

Alan Wake will be released on Steam on February 16th, 2012. Release information on the Retail version will be announced soon.

How much will Alan Wake on PC cost?

The Steam version will be $29.99 (Game + DLCs) and $34.99 (LCE). Retail pricing details will be announced soon.

What is included in the Limited Collectors Edition (LCE)?

Specifics about the LCE are still being worked out and will be announced closer to release.
SOURCE:
http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7667

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I thought this was vaporware, didn't realize the game actually came out. Didn't we read about this like almost 9 years ago?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
At least it is priced appropriately for being old and aren't trying to be like $60 and buy DLC separate or something.

It is amusing though to see (not just here but other games) tout the features of a PC game and they list all the standard stuff that should be in any PC game. They are like hey look, we took the time to support remappable KB/M, support more resolutions, , etc lol

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Honestly, I think I'll wait for this one to go on sale before buying. If games like LA Noire are any indication (late PC ports with low-key releases), Alan Wake will probably become very cheap, very soon. I'm calling it now: $9.99 during the Steam Summer sale. :p

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Alan Wake PC retail is dated for a March 2nd release; Limited Edition detailed

Here is some good news for those wishing to purchase the retail version of Alan Wake PC. According to Nordic Games, the game’s publisher, the retail version of Alan Wake PC will be hitting online and retail stores in March 2nd in Europe. No word yet for the release date of the North American version of the retail but we can asume that it will be around that time.

The Limited Edition that will be available in March 2nd will include the game, alongside its two DLC’s, the game’s OST, Post cards, a Manual, a Poster, a Sticker and a Bonus Disc. Moreover, it will feature a book named ‘Alan Wake Files’ and we should note that the Game Disc for the Limited Edition will contain commentaries from the developer while you play the game, giving you background information about certain aspects of the game and how certain challenges were overcome etc.

In other news, our dear friends at PCGamesHardware have been playing the preview code of Alan Wake PC and managed to capture some new screenshots. And as we can see, Alan Wake PC will feature some interesting graphical settings. On a side note, the preview code does not include the re-worked textures that will be included in the final version.

Via: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/alan-...a-march-2nd-release-limited-edition-detailed/

I like how a game manual is listed alongside the contents of the limited edition.. like it's also some kind of extra content, lol. But in all seriousness, I have the LE edition for the 360 and the Alan Wake Files book is pretty cool. It's a nice companion book to read while you're playing through the game.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-15-remedys-message-to-alan-wake-pc-pirates-enjoy-the-story

The head developer of Alan Wake, Oskari Hakkinen, has a very reasonable attitude toward pirates and understands that DRM is worthless. He's basically saying "Well, even if you don't pay for it, I'm still glad you've had a chance to play it, and you've helped increase the game's exposure."

I think this is all one big ploy for me to respect them a bunch more, so I end up buying the game when it releases on Steam tomorrow. :hmm:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
According to GMG's twitter feed, they will have a 33% off coupon for Alan Wake when it goes live tonight.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
heard the game is excellent, might be interested when the price comes down a bit.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Wow, only $20 on Green Man Gaming. I might bite on this one.

Edit: I bit. I'll let you guys know what I think later tonight.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
It was already bad enough they went from PC-exclusive to console-exclusive (until now). They might as well just keep it at this point.
It'll probably be like how they handled Halo 2. Released so much longer after, being DX10 only, even though it was created during DX9 days.
Whatever. Remedy can blow it out their ass. They will more than likely half-ass the port too, while they're at it.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Wow, only $20 on Green Man Gaming. I might bite on this one.

Edit: I bit. I'll let you guys know what I think later tonight.

Have you downloaded this yet? On GMG they have a regular edition and a collectors edition listed (with a $5 price difference), however, on steam I only see the collectors edition for sale. What do you actually get with the key you bought for $20 on GMG?

Thanks man.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Have you downloaded this yet? On GMG they have a regular edition and a collectors edition listed (with a $5 price difference), however, on steam I only see the collectors edition for sale. What do you actually get with the key you bought for $20 on GMG?

Thanks man.

The regular version ($20 with voucher at GMG) doesn't come with the commentary videos, illustrated PDF book, or soundtrack. If you like extra goodies, buy the collectors edition, otherwise just buy the regular one. It's the same game either way.

I haven't downloaded it yet... I'm at work right now, but I'll download it when I get home.

Edit: Oh, and I think the reason why Steam is only showing the CE version is because it's discounted to $29.99 anyway. So they probably thought "Well, as long as it's on discount, it's the exact same price as the regular version, so there's no point in selling the regular version right now. We'll just sell the CE version." Or something like that. When the discount ends, there will be both versions available to choose from at their respective prices.

Last edited:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I got it from GMG, 33% off is a nice deal. But the email with the purchase confirmation didn't include the activation key for Steam... has the field empty o_O Heh, seems I will need to write to them...... No key on their website on my account either.

EDIT: Nvm, I'm blind. It's there on my account. It's been a long day...