Question Alan Wake 2 Error - Please Help! [Solved]

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Hello,

I installed Alan Wake 2 on my PC but when I go and start the game all I get is a black screen and these 2 messages pop-up one after the other:

Capture13.JPG

Capture15.JPG

When I press 'OK' the game doesn't load and returns me back to desktop.

My GPU is a RX 6600 and CPU is a Ryzen 5600X. I installed the latest drivers for the RX6600 (v 23.12.1) and I'm trying to run the game on 1080p. Running the game from a SSD.

I have read and watched videos on Youtube of players with a RX6600 playing the game without issues so I don't quite understand what is going on! Can someone please shed some light on this...

Thanks!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
That is a weird one... RX6600 should definitely be able to run AW2.

Just an off the cuff question, but did you buy your RX6600 new or used, how long have you had it, and have you experienced performance issues in other games?

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
That is a weird one... RX6600 should definitely be able to run AW2.

Just an off the cuff question, but did you buy your RX6600 new or used, how long have you had it, and have you experienced performance issues in other games?

Exactly... I was actually taken aback when these 2 errors popped up!

I bought my RX6600 brand new last year in November. I haven't had any sort of issues with the GPU with any older/ newer games. Recently finished Hitman 3 and then Alan Wake Remastered and they ran without problems.

I also render videos on this PC using DaVinci Resolve and there too I haven't had any issues.

Right now I did a full uninstall of my GPU drivers by using DDU and then did a clean installation of the newest AMD GPU drivers for my RX6600 (v23.12.1) but no luck. The same 2 errors are coming up when I go to start the game.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Exactly... I was actually taken aback when these 2 errors popped up!

I bought my RX6600 brand new last year in November. I haven't had any sort of issues with the GPU with any older/ newer games. Recently finished Hitman 3 and then Alan Wake Remastered and they ran without problems.

I also render videos on this PC using DaVinci Resolve and there too I haven't had any issues.

Right now I did a full uninstall of my GPU drivers by using DDU and then did a clean installation of the newest AMD GPU drivers for my RX6600 (v23.12.1) but no luck. The same 2 errors are coming up when I go to start the game.

-Ok, well we can at least rule out having potentially duped hardware. "Yeah I got it for $20 bucks from AliExpress!" Or something.

I wonder if you need to download the latest DirectX distributable. The card, game, and drivers might be fine but the system files for DirectX might not. Given Alan Wake 2 is pretty brand spanking new and using all the DX12 Ultimate features, it might be looking for a version of DX newer than what you have installed.

Give that a shot.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
-Ok, well we can at least rule out having potentially duped hardware. "Yeah I got it for $20 bucks from AliExpress!" Or something.

I wonder if you need to download the latest DirectX distributable. The card, game, and drivers might be fine but the system files for DirectX might not. Given Alan Wake 2 is pretty brand spanking new and using all the DX12 Ultimate features, it might be looking for a version of DX newer than what you have installed.

Give that a shot.

LoL... nope! Even I wanted to buy a GPU from AliExpress I wouldn't be able to since shipping from AE doesn't currently work for India. It's been banned for the last few years now.

So, I went ahead and updated DX12 Ultimate but the installer says my PC already has the newer or equivalent version of DX12 so I believe I'm covered.

Post that tried playing the game but can't even launch it... same couple of errors popping up. I guess I've hit a brick wall at this point. :(

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
LoL... nope! Even I wanted to buy a GPU from AliExpress I wouldn't be able to since shipping from AE doesn't currently work for India. It's been banned for the last few years now.

So, I went ahead and updated DX12 Ultimate but the installer says my PC already has the newer or equivalent version of DX12 so I believe I'm covered.

Post that tried playing the game but can't even launch it... same couple of errors popping up. I guess I've hit a brick wall at this point. :(

-Can always reinstall the game...

Reactions: Sam25

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
-Can always reinstall the game...

I tried re-installing the game but that didn't help.

Then it hit me... probably it was my Windows 10 (x64) LTSC that was causing it since the recent Windows 10 Update 22H2 is not there for LTSC. I went ahead installed Windows 10 (x64) Pro got the 22H2 Update. Installed all the chipset drivers from AMD, GPU driver for the RX6600 and DX12. Post this I installed Alan Wake 2 and voila... it worked!