Alamo Bowl may have been Joe Paterno's last game

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
As a Penn State Alum and a Penn State Grad student I have been extremely disturbed to hear that Joe Paterno might have seen his last days at Penn State...

There are rumours flying around campus and apparently pay "exclusive information" Penn State football webpages and forums...

From what I understand this is the basic info...

One: Joepa is sick... apparently so sick that the university has been heavily looking to recruit a new coach.

Two: Penn State has been missing out on recruitment oppurtunities because Joe has been too sick or ill to talk with potential players.

Three: Joe recently made a trip to Indianapolis. While there he meet with Tony Dungy and his offensive coordinator.

Four: Tony Dungy's future with the Colts is up in the air. No one knows what he is going to do. The rumour is he is waiting for an offer from Penn State. He has already made it known that he is looking to get out of the hustle and bustle of the NFL. He has ties to the Big Ten (went to Minnesota) and Pennsylvania (played for the Steelers).

Five: Tom Moore the Colt's offensive coordinator has made statements that he wants to get a head coaching job. His style is much different from PSU's style but to compete we might need to get some work on our offense... the Big Ten has been failing in this department lately especially in bowl games.

Six: Joe's successor has been long rumoured about... Tom Bradley, the man behind Penn State's awesome defense being the main contender... but it also has been said that if Penn State and Joepa thought Bradley could handle the job they would have already given it to him...

I have been looking all over for proof and have yet to find much... The rumour was tossed around on the Pittsburgh ESPN radio last evening... Should be interesting next year... Penn State should do very well next year... our young team looks strong and ready to rock some faces...

Everyone thought Joe would end with a huge celebration... The spring Blue and White game might be his last... or it may have come and gone... it will be a sad day for Penn State (and the Big Ten and college Football in general) when Joe retires... He is a man, a myth and a legend.

Sorry for the long post ... but I though ATOT might be interested...

Quick Cliff - Joepa might be sick and done with Head Coaching... Colt's Tony Dungy or possibly his offensive coordinator may be his successor. Joe leaving will be a sad day.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think Dungy wants to retire and move to FL to be near his son. I don't think college football would be much less demanding when you consider recruiting and having to babysit athletes.. I think Paterno should have retired a few years ago.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3203215

Penn State leaders to meet with JoePa in coming months
Associated Press

Updated: January 18, 2008, 4:21 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State's president and athletic director plan to meet with Joe Paterno in the next few months, in part to talk about the 81-year-old coach's future.

Paterno typically meets with school administrators each offseason to review the previous year and look ahead to the next season.

This year's meeting is attracting extra attention because Paterno's contract expires after the 2008 season. The 42-year coaching veteran has said recently he could coach at least a couple more years, and perhaps has many as five.

Penn State president Graham Spanier, responding to a question posed Friday at a meeting of university trustees, said he was certain Paterno would return for his 43rd season this fall.

"He does have a year remaining on his contract, and we expect him to be coaching this fall," Spanier told reporters during a break in the meeting.

When asked if the topic of Paterno coaching beyond next year had come up yet, Spanier only said that he hadn't had a chance to speak to the coach yet.

Athletic director Tim Curley said they hope to sit down after the recruiting period ends in early February. Spring practice begins in late March.

"I just don't want to say anything until I've had the opportunity to talk to him about the subject," Curley said. "We've talked about some other things, but haven't had a chance to zero in on that."

Paterno's 372 career wins are one behind Florida State's Bobby Bowden for most among major college coaches.

Florida State last month signed Bowden, 78, to one more year with an option for another, while also designating offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher as "head coach-in-waiting."

Spanier declined comment when asked if he could envision such a scenario at Penn State. Curley spoke broadly when asked about the need for a succession plan.

"Good planning requires we do that in all sports, in the back of your mind, you have a backup plan in place," he said. "It wouldn't be something that I'd want to state publicly what I'd be thinking, but hopefully a good manager has that in their hip pocket."

Trustee David Jones asked Curley during the meeting about the recent string of legal troubles encountered by a handful of players.

"I am very confident we have our arms around it and as we proceed that they don't happen in the future," he said. "And if they do, they happen in a minimal situation."

Penn State finished 9-4 in 2007, and Curley said overall he thought the program was in "great shape and moving forward."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: sao123
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3203215

Penn State leaders to meet with JoePa in coming months
Associated Press

Updated: January 18, 2008, 4:21 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State's president and athletic director plan to meet with Joe Paterno in the next few months, in part to talk about the 81-year-old coach's future.

Paterno typically meets with school administrators each offseason to review the previous year and look ahead to the next season.

This year's meeting is attracting extra attention because Paterno's contract expires after the 2008 season. The 42-year coaching veteran has said recently he could coach at least a couple more years, and perhaps has many as five.

Penn State president Graham Spanier, responding to a question posed Friday at a meeting of university trustees, said he was certain Paterno would return for his 43rd season this fall.

"He does have a year remaining on his contract, and we expect him to be coaching this fall," Spanier told reporters during a break in the meeting.

When asked if the topic of Paterno coaching beyond next year had come up yet, Spanier only said that he hadn't had a chance to speak to the coach yet.

Athletic director Tim Curley said they hope to sit down after the recruiting period ends in early February. Spring practice begins in late March.

"I just don't want to say anything until I've had the opportunity to talk to him about the subject," Curley said. "We've talked about some other things, but haven't had a chance to zero in on that."

Paterno's 372 career wins are one behind Florida State's Bobby Bowden for most among major college coaches.

Florida State last month signed Bowden, 78, to one more year with an option for another, while also designating offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher as "head coach-in-waiting."

Spanier declined comment when asked if he could envision such a scenario at Penn State. Curley spoke broadly when asked about the need for a succession plan.

"Good planning requires we do that in all sports, in the back of your mind, you have a backup plan in place," he said. "It wouldn't be something that I'd want to state publicly what I'd be thinking, but hopefully a good manager has that in their hip pocket."

Trustee David Jones asked Curley during the meeting about the recent string of legal troubles encountered by a handful of players.

"I am very confident we have our arms around it and as we proceed that they don't happen in the future," he said. "And if they do, they happen in a minimal situation."

Penn State finished 9-4 in 2007, and Curley said overall he thought the program was in "great shape and moving forward."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

well look at that... probably because of last nights ESPN radio conversation... funny that it came out the day after.