Alabama un-bans yoga but still bans the word Namaste

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yoga fixes people and helps you live longer. With zero politics being involved.

American christianity pats you on the head and takes your money, all while supporting racist/fascist agendas and providing cover for sexual predators within their institutions.

I wasn't expecting Alabama to get over their fear of brown people exercise and things that work any time soon. They are very particular about what they adopt/appropriate, this is ain't no shofar people.

Last edited:

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
We should give greencards to 250 million Indians and relocate them all to alabama.

Then they'll really see the meaning of Namaste!

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Isn’t it funny the party allegedly concerned about free speech and cancel culture literally wants to cancel free speech?
There has always been strong levels of hypocrisy and projection from conservatives and christians. It's all fine as long as it's their way; they're scared of anything different.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Yoga has been banned in Alabama schools since 1993 when the ban was pushed by conservative cancel culture.

To make the bill more palatable to anti-cancel culture conservatives, no foreign words can be used when describing yoga poses, and are banned from saying the greeting Namaste. And 25 voted against letting Yoga happen even still.

Talk about cancel culture.

The amusing thing about this is, that the modification actually reveals what the real reason was for the ban in the first place. It was never about the actual exercise. It was always about it's foreign character. "We don't want to teach our kids to say these words from countries with slanty eyed people in them! For that matter, can we just call it aerobics instead of yoga?"

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Truth is that AL probably just made a clerical error as everybody knows that men want fat girls in yoga pants banned. :p Why just the other day while shopping at Walmart my eyes were forced to see such a thing and almost had a seizure. :eek::D

Saw a pair of very sturdily built ladies exercise walking down the main drag of the street I live off of and lo and behold the sun was shining in a certain direction and the leotards they were wearing seemed to me to be stretched to very limits of their structural integrity in the area of their butts such that they were practically transparent to where skin tones were discernable. I'm certain they didn't know about how they were displaying their attributes in that manner and far be it for me to tell them about what I was seeing, so there I was having to deal with the mixed emotions of being concerned over their predicament vs lmao over the sight I can never erase from my mind.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Too close to the Golden Rule? What's the frigging problem. Oh, it's from feriners (who don't believe in their fairy tale).

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
As witnessed over and over again throughout history, a religious belief system that is rigid and inflexible in its response to changes in the moral, ethical, cultural and technological advancements in our societies will attempt to isolate and insulate their followers from "those evil distractions" that cause their members to "lose their faith" and stray away from their path toward whatever rewards that are being prophesized in their afterlives.

Small wonder our religious fundamentalists and evangelists are under constant pressure from losing those folks who have adjusted and assimilated themselves to the changes being brought about by those "evil societal advancements" that threaten their authority, influence and financial dependence over their flocks.

edited- syntax

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
As witnessed over and over again throughout history, a religious belief system that is rigid and inflexible in its response to changes in the moral, ethical, cultural and technological advancements in our societies will attempt to isolate and insulate their followers from "those evil distractions" that cause their members to "lose their faith" and stray away from their path toward whatever rewards that are being prophesized in their afterlives.

Small wonder our religious fundamentalists and evangelists are under constant attack from not so much the people who have adjusted and assimilated themselves to the changes being brought about by those "evil societal advancements" that threaten their authority, influence and financial dependence over their flocks.
Many years ago, maybe late 70's, a high school friend opened a print shop in a nearby small town. When I had to visit customers in that town, I would often stop in for coffee and a visit for a break.

One day he was running a big job for the biggest church in town, a baptist church. He was printing it on 5 different colors of paper, from white, beige, yellow, orange, and red. They were dunning notices for parishioners that were not tithing their full 10%, and by the 5th notice, printed on bright red paper, they were verging on threatening.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Lol ... Citing fear of "Hindu indoctrination" .. wtf.

Touching your toes lets the devil in … er … the back door (or something like that).

#Murica

• Haha