Alabama does it again, no gay marriage on PBS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
There is a place for that "agenda", (although I am not sure that is what the founding fathers had in mind for "equality" under the constitution), but I am not sure it is in a children's cartoon. Just seems like trying a little too hard.
What you call "agenda" every other sane person calls "life". LGBT is reality, people of non-traditional sexual orientation exist and they are just as real as you and me. If anything, denying that reality by banning any trace of it is an agenda. You're projecting.

Reactions: pmv and DarthKyrie

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
By depriving them of the choice altogether. Christ, you're stupid.

Depriving kids of "choice"? Last I checked they can't marry anywhere nationwide.

Let them stay innocent. We dont need to indoctrinate them with liberalism.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'm sure mixed race couples are on your controversial list. You Christian Taliban types were on board for years and a lot still are.

People have been mixing races for hundreds of years. That horse left the barn long ago. You can't stop love! :)

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
If showing gay marriage on a tv show is pushing the gay agenda, isn't showing heterosexual marriage pushing the heterosexual agenda. Really, this just shows that legalizing gay marriage didn't eliminate bigotry. But we are making progress. 15 years ago I was opposed to gay marriage. 15 years ago, I too was a bigot. Education and reason can help us progress as a country.

Reactions: cytg111

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
You mean as opposed to the pro-american LGBT pro gay marriage agenda? I have no problem with gay marriage, each to his own. But it seems unfair to call out only one side for having an agenda.

Conservatives accuse people wanting the same rights as straight white Christian males of having an "agenda".

I wasn't aware that all people having equal rights under the constitution was an agenda.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Conservatives accuse people wanting the same rights as straight white Christian males of having an "agenda".

I wasn't aware that all people having equal rights under the constitution was an agenda.
Of course it is. Its the agenda of progressives. The agenda of the right is to maintain preferred status for white, christian males.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
If gay marriage is alright, why not dive into the fun realm of trans stuff? Be it trans marriage, or having a trans operation? No big deal right?

They should compromise.
Show Trans marriages, but make sure the marriage is between biological male and a female.
Even sex change surgery can't change biological sex so it wont matter if one of them is under the knife or taking hormones.

BOOM! Still Heterosexual marriage.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
If gay marriage is alright, why not dive into the fun realm of trans stuff? Be it trans marriage, or having a trans operation? No big deal right?

Correct, no big deal. I know Felix is just trolling, but it seems like you might just be an idiot. Putting trans people in the same category as beastiality and inter-family? Come on dude

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
This matter of a cartoon -- with animal characters -- should have the significance of fly-shit in pepper for rational, common-sense people who can accept that 10% of the population from before ancient history to the present is gay. Animal populations also exhibit this trait: some percentage of various species will be gay, no matter what.

Our government and institution have been assaulted by people who think that their own Christian values -- not shared by all Christians -- should dominate Supreme Court decisions and government policy. Our government and its laws is a secular version of morality and justice. It is a determination of moral values and rights deemed acceptable from an intersection of those among all religious beliefs. It is a determination as to what people have the freedom to do and no freedom to do in the best interests of progress and preservation of the Nation-State. This is why the bugaboo of "Sharia Law" will never be a threat to our American values. Not even a sizeable number of Muslim Americans will agree that Sharia Law should be part of that intersection -- which is the conscience of all persons -- not just the conscience of some Bible-thumpers in a fly-over state's mega-church.

LGBT rights and the transgender phenomenon (a very small number of people) is now generally accepted -- by many establishment Christian religions, by agnostics and atheists, by Buddhists and American Muslims and everyone else.

Kids will encounter the 10%-ers in grade school and high-school. They will encounter people in respectable positions who are gay. They may even be raised by a gay couple. So to sweep the facts and circumstances under the table by banning a cartoon from PBS is like complaining about a cloudy day. You may not like it, but everyone else accepts it.

The GOP has been trying to eliminate, attenuate and suppress PBS for decades, and not for reasons of some "Arthur" cartoon.

After the document declassifications of the 1990s together with artifacts like a taped conversation between Kissinger and Pinochet, "Frontline" and a program on NPR had broadcast this history surrounding Chile, GHW Bush as possible felon, and related matters.

GOP, within two weeks, introduced bills in Congress that further reduced federal participation in PBS funding. As we all know, PBS gets most of its funding from non-profit foundations and other sources.

For the rest of it, please get your cornpone, bible-thumping, Satan-Trump-worshipping religion out of MY country's secular government. Stop trying to suppress the rights of minorities which depend on the Bill of Rights and long-standing court decisions -- which exist as a safeguard to your populist intentions to suppress others.

If you don't like abortion rights and think it's morally wrong, don't get an abortion. Whether you were born gay or not, and you think you'll go to Hell for being gay -- either don't be gay, don't gay marry, or suppress your gay impulses and don't gay marry. Your soul should be unsullied.

And if you think that a Criminal President should be protected because he supports your cornpone shitass view to be imposed on everyone else, God damn you to Hell, and we'll see you in Hell if conflict ever comes to that. Criminal is criminal; the Law is the Law. It is not "GOP" or "Dem" and it's not "political". If you believe the narrative to the contrary, you don't belong in MY country. I'll ruin your day at every opportunity when I find you in the next 20 years if I live that long. And contrary to generally held Christian belief in forgiveness, you will remain to me as "Unforgiven" as Little Bill, English Bob, Skinny the saloon owner and other characters in the Eastwood movie of that name.

"I'm comin' out now! Don't anybody shoot! Anybody shoots . . . . I'll [you know the rest'] -- you, your family, and all your friends!"

Reactions: DarthKyrie

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
do you support teaching children how to shoot guns?

I support others right to choose to do so for their kids - or not.

Young boys have known the thrill of owning a low power BB rifle for generations. Once they learn how to responsibly own one, they graduate to a pellet rifle or bb gun. Its a good experience as boys mature into men and finally purchase their own firearm.

I had this experience growing up and for nearly 20 years owned a Browning 9MM Highpower. I sold it 7 years ago and havent owned any firearm since.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Because I've heard so many recent stories of Christians stoning gays to death....

Not much of that going on in Birmingham. What _is_ happening is almost an exact replica of Alabama. Protests at schools telling children that some couples can be same-sex. Same idiotic belief that merely acknowledging the existence of same-sex relationships is somehow 'taking away innocence' or 'contraversial' (as if for gay couples, but not for heterosexual ones, merely showing they exist is somehow 'dirty' and akin to teaching the mechanics of outre sexual techniques). Same manipulation of religious ideas for political ends by puffed-up patriarchs looking to gain power and (I suspect) money.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I can understand that. It was a traumatic event for the country.
The existence of Alabama is a traumatic event for the country.
Dont be so closed minded. We need to respect peoples wishes not to expose their youngins to gay marriage. One day maybe, just not right now. You are free to push the agenda though in your own household.

How you like them apples?
Gay marriage is marriage. If showing marriage is fine then showing gay marriage is fine. They are legally equivalent and fuck the false sense of morality of people who choose hate over love.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I support others right to choose to do so for their kids - or not.

Young boys have known the thrill of owning a low power BB rifle for generations. Once they learn how to responsibly own one, they graduate to a pellet rifle or bb gun. Its a good experience as boys mature into men and finally purchase their own firearm.

I had this experience growing up and for nearly 20 years owned a Browning 9MM Highpower. I sold it 7 years ago and havent owned any firearm since.
Translation:
For liberals opposed to children seeing guns on television, they can just change the channel or shut off the TV.

For conservatives opposed to children seeing same sex couples on tv, we should shut down the programming.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Translation:
For liberals opposed to children seeing guns on television, they can just change the channel or shut off the TV.

For conservatives opposed to children seeing same sex couples on tv, we should shut down the programming.

It is always double standards with the Reich.

Reactions: obidamnkenobi

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Depriving kids of "choice"? Last I checked they can't marry anywhere nationwide.

Let them stay innocent. We dont need to indoctrinate them with liberalism.

Wait - what are we "letting them stay innocent" of here? It's a marriage. Do we not let children know about marriage?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Kids will encounter the 10%-ers in grade school and high-school. They will encounter people in respectable positions who are gay. They may even be raised by a gay couple. So to sweep the facts and circumstances under the table by banning a cartoon from PBS is like complaining about a cloudy day. You may not like it, but everyone else accepts it.
There's even a gay man married to another gay man currently in the primary race... that's reasonably high-profile.