Al-Qaida in Iraq "the only thing acceptable is a conversion or the sword."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Nice AP article on yahoo.com about the Iranian leader urging more papal protests.
So now, they're protesting about Paypal? I understand it. I believe banks are contrary to Islamic law. :p

Seriously, John boy, what makes you think Al Qaida in Iraq is serious about anything they say? They're a bunch of radical armed thug morons who'd kill anything that even looked crosseyed at them so what makes this any different?

If you really think they speak for the entire Islamic world, you've been living far too deep in that cave in your backyard. :roll:

FWIW, I don't have a lot of respect for either radical Islam or any other pseudo theology that preaches violence for any end. That includes radical Islam, Christianity, Judaism or any others of that ilk. And yes, there are violent radicals among other religions.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: shadow9d9
What is the point of this post? This is nothing new... we shouldn't be in Iraq in the first place and if we decided to actually get off oil and onto alternative fuels like BRAZIL we wouldn't be funding the middle eastern countries and would have nothing to do with them... unfortunately, Bush is an oil baron who gives oil companies tax breaks and does nothing about alternative fuels.

The point of my post is "we shouldn't be in Iraq in the first place " type thoughts by people like you and the naive thought that getting out of the Middle East will make any difference. Or does the comment "then let him wait for the day coming soon when the armies of the religion of right knock on the walls of Rome." not mean anything to you?

Leaving the Middle East to these crazies will do nothing buy put us at greater risk. If we left Iraq to them they will go back to their old plans of bringing the war to us. So we have a choice, fight them in Iraq, or fight them in New York.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: yllus
I say let us get out of the ME, bring our troops home, then stay out of their lives. Let them work out their own issues. They have no desire to advance, apparently. Why have the rest of the world try and help the unwilling?
And when they're equipped with a modern military arsenal that the influx of oil money has netted them, do you imagine that dream of worldwide Islam will still exist?

So we need to Oppress them for our own good then.

We are not oppressing anyone or does the fact that in both Iraq and Afghanistan we have established democracies where there have only been dictatorships?

When I think oppressing I think people being taken away in the middle of the night, people being publicly hung in Soccer stadiums, thousands of people being gassed because they are a threat to the dictator running their country, basically what was there before we came in and freed them.

We don't you explain your view of oppression and how we are engaged in it on a mass scale.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Al Qaeda has like 15,000 followers...

they are hated inside Iraq and pretty much the entire M.E..

they are probably loved in Pakistan, but that's it.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
More food for thought for the minions with their heads buried in the sand.

These Islamofascists don't care what color your skin is, how poor/rich you are, or whether you have a D or R behind your name. They want you, your family, and everyone else (The "infidels") DEAD. Period.

It is a shame the Pope has been castigated for his comments so, as they were spot on.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Remember, the Left wants to appease and make nice with these kinds of people.

I say we let Bush take the gloves off...

I don't know why I even bother, but let me try running this through that squishy mass you call a brain one more time.

Muslims are not all the same...those of us on "the left" want to work with the NON-EXTREMIST ONES, you know, the ones NOT saying things like the OP quoted. Let me know if I'm going too fast for you guys, I realize critical thinking is not your strong suit...but I'm having trouble coming up with smaller words to say this.

Umm those are the ones we are working with. Those are the ones we have helped to put in charge in Iraq and Afghanistan. Or are you forgetting that fact?

We are not just going around killing every Muslim, but are working with the moderates to create a better more peaceful Middle East, one that tolerates religious differences. It seems right now that of all world religions Islam is by far the worst when it comes to accepting other religions. Christians haven't used the "convert or die" way of doing things since the 1600s.

I realize Southern Baptists and their "have you accepted Jesus as your personal savior" question are a little annoying, but at least they aren't pointing a gun at your head when they ask that question.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: yllus
I say let us get out of the ME, bring our troops home, then stay out of their lives. Let them work out their own issues. They have no desire to advance, apparently. Why have the rest of the world try and help the unwilling?
And when they're equipped with a modern military arsenal that the influx of oil money has netted them, do you imagine that dream of worldwide Islam will still exist?

So we need to Oppress them for our own good then.

We are not oppressing anyone or does the fact that in both Iraq and Afghanistan we have established democracies where there have only been dictatorships?

When I think oppressing I think people being taken away in the middle of the night, people being publicly hung in Soccer stadiums, thousands of people being gassed because they are a threat to the dictator running their country, basically what was there before we came in and freed them.

We don't you explain your view of oppression and how we are engaged in it on a mass scale.

Democracy at the barrel of a gun, continued support for anything but Democracies(Saudi Arabia), Death, and destruction. Nah, there's no Oppression.

Let them find their own way. Forcing your way on them is the definition of Oppression.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: 5150Joker
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
/me waits for Aimster to jump into thread and apologize for Muslims everywhere and explain how OP is wrong, somehow...

Yeah you moron, because the Ayatollah, Iraqi extremist groups and Al-Qaida are representatives of 1+ billion Muslims. :roll: The pope is either a complete moron or he knew exactly what would happen by quoting the passage he did. I'm thinking it was the latter and he meant to stir up more anti-Muslim sentiment because its obvious third world illiterate Muslims are going to hear about this as third hand information and think the pope is declaring a crusade.

If so-called educated Americans are too lazy and dumb to bother reading the context of a message in its entirety, what are the chances of 3rd world illiterates doing so? The pope knew this and I think he made a calculated decision to say what he did. Like I said in my other post, it's pretty obvious White Christian racists (and their nazi pope) and their allies are intent on starting a war with Muslims, moderate or not. In fact I'd say this issue transcended religion long ago for racist Christians and became a racial one: Anyone of mideastern ethnicity vs. Whites. Subjugation of other races (and genocide) isn't something foreign to racist White Christians--just ask the native American Indians.

You're the "third-world illiterate", and your examples are centuries old and no longer applicable (even devout Catholics laugh when the Pope speaks, and don't act like you don't know it). Forget the Christians you obviously hate so much, and face the truth. I know you wish everyone was like you (and I agree that they should be, by the way), but they ARE NOT.

Your progressive, peaceful atheism will not save you when the mujahideen come calling. The evil Christians are your best hope if it comes to a war of religion; they'll tolerate you, but the Muslims will burn you alive and behead your entire family. So drop your Candyland bvllsh*t and start reading the news. The Crusades ended 1000 years ago, during what Christians call "the Middle Ages"...but the Muslims still live there, and there's no room for you and your logic.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Christians live in Muslim countries.

they are alive ...

So what is all this crap about "they will kill you"

If that was true then why are the Christians alive?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
So, does anyone still think that by leaving Iraq and the middle east these people are going to be happy? When will you wake up to the fact that their goal is "conversion or the sword"
Iranian leader urges more papal protests
It's almost like you can't distinguish between the radicalized Muslims and 99% of the remainder of the Muslim world who does not believe any of this crap. Are you seriously buying into "AQ in Iraq's" propoganda? :laugh:

I know the difference. I am not worried about the "99%" as you say who are he remainder of the Muslim world. Its that 1%(more likely closer to 10%) that are trying to kill us.

Let me ask you this: in 1939 what percentage of the German population would have said that killing 6 millions Jews was a good idea? 10-20% maybe? And yet it was that small percentage of the population that got their way, they were the threat, how many Jews died thinking "well only 10% of Germans want us dead" I am worried about the 10% of Muslims who think that killing us is a good idea, or converting us, and personally I don't wish to convert to a religion that thinks killing non-believers is a good thing.

As far as your 99% comment, here is the data from the well talked about poll of British Muslims, read this and tell me if you still think it is only 1%.
13% of British Muslims think that the four men who carried out the London Tube and bus bombings of July 7, 2005, should be regarded as ?martyrs?

7% agree that suicide attacks on civilians in the UK can be justified in some circumstances, rising to 16 per cent for a military target

16% of British Muslims say that while the attacks may have been wrong, the cause was right

2% would be proud if a family member decided to join al-Qaeda. Sixteen per cent would be ?indifferent?

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Aimster

they are alive ...

You know why they are still alive, so don't play dumb.

I used to respect you and your opinions, and many times your posts actually made me hope I was wrong...but the last few threads have shown me that you are completely full of sh*t. Sometimes things are EXACTLY what they appear to be, no matter how much you wish they weren't.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

they are alive ...

Maybe because they don't burn everything in effigy??? Maybe they keep a lower profile???

Maybe they practice a true peaceful religion and stay in their square???

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

they are alive ...

Maybe because they don't burn everything in effigy??? Maybe they keep a lower profile???

Christians have communities. The Muslims know exactly where they are.

The Churches are there.

If the Muslims wanted to .. all they have to do is mass together and burn them all down and kill the Christians.

I mean they are the majority and it could easily be done.

EX: Lebanon, Iran, Iraq.

My point is nobody is out to kill non-believers. If that was the case it would have started at their home first.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
What is the point of this post? This is nothing new... we shouldn't be in Iraq in the first place and if we decided to actually get off oil and onto alternative fuels like BRAZIL we wouldn't be funding the middle eastern countries and would have nothing to do with them... unfortunately, Bush is an oil baron who gives oil companies tax breaks and does nothing about alternative fuels.

The point of my post is "we shouldn't be in Iraq in the first place " type thoughts by people like you and the naive thought that getting out of the Middle East will make any difference. Or does the comment "then let him wait for the day coming soon when the armies of the religion of right knock on the walls of Rome." not mean anything to you?

Leaving the Middle East to these crazies will do nothing buy put us at greater risk. If we left Iraq to them they will go back to their old plans of bringing the war to us. So we have a choice, fight them in Iraq, or fight them in New York.

The point of my post is "we shouldn't be in Iraq in the first place " type thoughts by people like you and the naive thought that getting out of the Middle East will make any difference.

I am pretty sure that that sentence is not english... If I get what you are trying to say, and I am only guessing since that "sentence" is so unclear... we shouldn't BE in the middle east... AT ALL... period... we should use alternative fuel like Brazil and become completely uninvolved with the region... this would serve to lead and encourage the rest of the world to do the same, bankrupt the middle east, and would stop our interference there, which in turn, would severely cripple terrorist hatred of the United States.

We are not fighting "them" in Iraq btw... we are fighting newly recruited Iraqi nationals... they are an endless supply... Had we not gone into Iraq, and instead addressed the REAL problem dependence on foreign oil and our constant interference with the middle east, something would actually be accomplished....

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999

they are alive ...

The Churches are there.

If the Muslims wanted to .. all they have to do is mass together and burn them all down and kill the Christians.

My point is nobody is out to kill non-believers. If that was the case it would have started at their home first.

At this point, Aimster, I'm not prepared to trust anything you say. Maybe that is my own shortcoming, and if so, I'll address that within myself, but I don't think I speak alone. It just seems to me, that any time something like this flares up, you seem to be right smack dab in the middle of it, trying to explain it all. How do we know you don't sleep with the terrorists by night, and BS us all by day?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

The point of my post is "we shouldn't be in Iraq in the first place " type thoughts by people like you and the naive thought that getting out of the Middle East will make any difference.

I am pretty sure that that sentence is not english... If I get what you are trying to say, and I am only guessing since that "sentence" is so unclear... we shouldn't BE in the middle east... AT ALL... period... we should use alternative fuel like Brazil and become completely uninvolved with the region... this would serve to lead and encourage the rest of the world to do the same, bankrupt the middle east, and would stop our interference there, which in turn, would severely cripple terrorist hatred of the United States.

We are not fighting "them" in Iraq btw... we are fighting newly recruited Iraqi nationals... they are an endless supply... Had we not gone into Iraq, and instead addressed the REAL problem dependence on foreign oil and our constant interference with the middle east, something would actually be accomplished....

Iraq was not a threat.
The people of Iraq were not a threat

We should have attacked Iran, Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.
However doing so... would have meant unknown outcome.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Pabster
More food for thought for the minions with their heads buried in the sand.

These Islamofascists don't care what color your skin is, how poor/rich you are, or whether you have a D or R behind your name. They want you, your family, and everyone else (The "infidels") DEAD. Period.

It is a shame the Pope has been castigated for his comments so, as they were spot on.

Head in the sand.. and using the newly created right wing buzzword "islamofascists"..score!

If we didn't rely on the middle east for oil(which , with our technology, is no longer necessary) and we stopped interfering and manipulating middle east affairs, terrorists would no longer care about the U.S. We caused this problem with our constant interfeering and oil profiteering.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

Iraq was not a threat.
The people of Iraq were not a threat

We should have attacked Iran, Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.
However doing so... would have meant unknown outcome.

The answer isn't always to attack someone... my solutions would have and still would COMPLETELY rid all ties to these terorrists and eliminate their funding, while simultaneously reduce their hatred of us... instead , we did EXACTLY what they wanted us to stop doing.. interfering and trying to control middle east countries and their oil supplies!

compuwiz1

Oct 9, 1999
Also, I agree with some of the sentiments here, if it weren't for the oil, we would have no interest in being in the ME, and certainly no interest in hanging out with a bunch of people who would like nothing better than to kill us.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

they are alive ...

The Churches are there.

At this point, Aimster, I'm not prepared to trust anything you say. Maybe that is my own shortcoming, and if so, I'll address that within myself, but I don't think I speak alone. It just seems to me, that any time something like this flares up, you seem to be right smack dab in the middle of it, trying to explain it all. How do we know you don't sleep with the terrorists by night, and BS us all by day?

I read the news?

"Lebanon's Christian areas have been targeted by Israeli airstrikes"
"This part of Iraq, known for being a Christain area"

If Cnn, Fox, etc. know that those areas are mainly Christian... I am sure the people of those countries know they are Christian areas as well.

Those areas have Churches ... Ive seen pictures. There are a handful of Churches inside Lebanon, Iran, and Iraq.

google images will reveal handfuls of them. My own blog has pictures of christians inside a muslim country

ebeattie

May 22, 2005
Fairly new guy here, but Id like to jump in. If we are to believe that ANY idea from EITHER side should be enforced in the middle east, then we need to ask ourselves WHOSE responsibility is it! I dont buy the argument that its better to fight them there, than it is here. All we are doing in Iraq is giving every anti American in the region free game to kill Americans.

now, you have to understand that I was originally a big supporter for the Iraq invasion as well as a former supporter of the Bush administration. But i have seen too many inconsistancies and too many screw ups to believe any longer that our Government gives a FVCK about the American people, or our goal of winning the global war on terror. If our focus really is the "War on Terror", we would have sent our resources that went to Iraq to Afghanistan. There was NO connection between terrorism and Iraq. There have been MANY Congressional reports that sustain this.

To me it seems that this operation in Iraq is useless, and draining the crap outta our economy. Do I want to protect my country and my citizens from harm? Yes. Do i believe that radical Islam needs to be eliminated? yes I do. But the fact of the matter is that our Executive branch has no intention of putting our resources for the war on terror where they need to be!

Why are we still spending billions of doallars EVBERY DAY in a theater of war that we shouldnt even be in! Im all for democracy, but if Vietnam taught us a lesson, our elected officials have paid NO attention to it. Our war on terror should be streamlined, our resources devoted to Special Operations and intelligence, and I also believe that our congress should NOT view issues totally on party lines, I think that having an all Republican majority legislative, executive, and judicial branch is detrimental to our country.

I say that we need to get the hell out of Iraq, we need to refocus our efforts fighting and destroying the ENTIRE Al Quaeda network, not a soley a regional cell that WE helped create by our policy of "regime change". I have to believe that all enemy materials and manpower in the Iraq region are being used to kill our servicemen there, not abroad.

I believe that to combat this wave of Islamic hate, we need to focus on the GROUPS that promote it, but more importantly the cells that generate it. I say let the regionaly operated groups fester; Iraqi insurgents are killing our men and women because they are pissed they were kicked out of power. If you are a Sunni in Iraq now, YOU are the one with a death sentance; i cn see why they are intent on killing as many Shiites and Americans as they can. I believe that our main force Army and Marine Divisions need to be pulled out, I believe that our military needs to increase our special forces operators in both regions, I believe that our intelligence operations need to be streamlined and increase and I also believe that we need to rethink our "regime change" policy. Vietnam and now Iraq have proved that you cant just go around throwing military might at a country and expect our goals to be fulfilled. We lost over 58,000 soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen in vietnam. How many more of our fighting men and women need to die before our government realizes that we have WASTED our resources, stretched our economic equity, and strained our military effectiveness for a cause that has been proven time and again to be wrong.

WE WANT TO SUPPRESS ISLAMIC HATE? WE NEED TO GET MODERATE MUSLIMS TO JOIN US, NOT FEAR US. WE NEED TO REORGANISE OUT RESOURCES AND GO AFTER GOALS AND TARGETS THAT WILL GET RESULTS ON OUR ORIGINAL MISSION; THE WAR ON TERROR. Not a president's personal agenda for oil money, civilian defence contracts, and personal vendettas.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Head in the sand.. and using the newly created right wing buzzword "islamofascists"..score!

If we didn't rely on the middle east for oil(which , with our technology, is no longer necessary) and we stopped interfering and manipulating middle east affairs, terrorists would no longer care about the U.S. We caused this problem with our constant interfeering and oil profiteering.

ok shadow, you just made my point for me.
It is because of people like you that I created this post. I was hoping that some would read what the terrorist are saying and would learn that it is not about us interfering in their politics, but about us not being Muslims.

Read what you said, and then read what the terrorists say:
Shadow-"If we didn't rely on the middle east for oil(which , with our technology, is no longer necessary) and we stopped interfering and manipulating middle east affairs, terrorists would no longer care about the U.S. "

Terrorist-"the worshipper of the cross, you and the West are doomed as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere. ... We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose the 'jizya' tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (being killed by) the sword."
"You infidels and despots, we will continue our jihad (holy war) and never stop until God avails us to chop your necks and raise the fluttering banner of monotheism, when God's rule is established governing all people and nations,"
"If the stupid pig is prancing with his blasphemies in his house," the group said in a Web statement, referring to the pope, "then let him wait for the day coming soon when the armies of the religion of right knock on the walls of Rome."

Do you see anything in there that suggests leaving the middle east and not "interfering and manipulating middle east affairs" will make these crazies happy?
They are not saying "leave our lands if you want peace" They are saying covert, or we will kill you. It is not about politics, it is about religion. Religion knows no boundaries. They will be just as happy to attack us in New York as they are to attack us in Madrid, London and Baghdad.
Our only hope is to change their way of thinking by putting into place moderate governments that bring about a change in the way people live. We need to work with moderate Muslims and find ways to limit the appeal of radical Islam. There are already signs of this taking place in Lebanon with the Hezbollah backlash after they started a war with Israel.

BTW: if we never used another drop of oil again we would still be looked upon as infidels and non-believers and therefore worthy of being forced to "convert or die"

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

ok shadow, you just made my point for me.
It is because of people like you that I created this post. I was hoping that some would read what the terrorist are saying and would learn that it is not about us interfering in their politics, but about us not being Muslims.

Read what you said, and then read what the terrorists say:
Shadow-"If we didn't rely on the middle east for oil(which , with our technology, is no longer necessary) and we stopped interfering and manipulating middle east affairs, terrorists would no longer care about the U.S. "

Terrorist-"the worshipper of the cross, you and the West are doomed as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere. ... We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose the 'jizya' tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (being killed by) the sword."
"You infidels and despots, we will continue our jihad (holy war) and never stop until God avails us to chop your necks and raise the fluttering banner of monotheism, when God's rule is established governing all people and nations,"
"If the stupid pig is prancing with his blasphemies in his house," the group said in a Web statement, referring to the pope, "then let him wait for the day coming soon when the armies of the religion of right knock on the walls of Rome."

Do you see anything in there that suggests leaving the middle east and not "interfering and manipulating middle east affairs" will make these crazies happy?
They are not saying "leave our lands if you want peace" They are saying covert, or we will kill you. It is not about politics, it is about religion. Religion knows no boundaries. They will be just as happy to attack us in New York as they are to attack us in Madrid, London and Baghdad.
Our only hope is to change their way of thinking by putting into place moderate governments that bring about a change in the way people live. We need to work with moderate Muslims and find ways to limit the appeal of radical Islam. There are already signs of this taking place in Lebanon with the Hezbollah backlash after they started a war with Israel.

BTW: if we never used another drop of oil again we would still be looked upon as infidels and non-believers and therefore worthy of being forced to "convert or die"

Who cares? Crazies will always exist, whether Happy or Sad. By interfering in their affairs you just make the Crazies look legitimate. Quit undermining yourself.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
"You infidels and despots, we will continue our jihad (holy war) and never stop until God avails us to chop your necks and raise the fluttering banner of monotheism, when God's rule is established governing all people and nations"

Obviously these muslims have never played Civ. If they had, they would know that polytheism comes AFTER monotheism, not the other way around. If you try and work on monotheism after you have already discovered polytheism, your advisors will tell you that "we already know these secrets".

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

Another Blame America First cheerleader.

America didn't "cause" this problem, but we're sure working on fixing it.