Al Gore's Personal Energy Consumption Up 10%

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mail5398

Jul 9, 2001
The problem is you guys are missing what all those rich douche bag celebrities except Ed Begley, Jr. are all about.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: NeoV
If he gets, literally, the entire planet talking about rape, then I really don't care how many women he assaults.

See how silly that sounds when applied elsewhere? Raising awareness is not a defense.

And attacking someone who raises awareness isn't the same as arguing against the issue. To extend your metaphor to how people attack environmentalism through Al Gore, it would be like saying rape is OK just because it turns out an anti-rape activist is a sex offender.

And please don't pretend that's not what Pabster and folks are doing here, that is EXACTLY why they bring up Al Gore every 5 minutes. I personally think Gore is kind of a tool, but what I really hate is how people think it's intelligent debate to argue against environmentalism by pointing out how much energy Al Gore uses.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
In the wake of becoming the most well-known global warming alarmist, Gore won an Oscar, a Grammy and the Nobel Peace Prize. In addition, Gore saw his personal wealth increase by an estimated $100 million thanks largely to speaking fees and investments related to global warming hysteria.

Couldn't have been those Google stock options now, could it? I guess it's wrong for him to make a lot of money if he is truly for the environment, right?

Funny the righties are all upset over Al Gore, but I don't hear a peep about the global warming governor Schwarzenegger, who private jets from LA to Sacramento a few days a week.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: NeoV
If he gets, literally, the entire planet talking about rape, then I really don't care how many women he assaults.

See how silly that sounds when applied elsewhere? Raising awareness is not a defense.

Yes it is, that example just sucks.

Just because you're too dumb to get it doesn't mean the example sucks.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Raising awareness is every bit a defense. People who attack Al Gore for his energy usage, the man who uses a significant portion of that energy in order to convince governments to adopt large scale decreases in energy consumption, is an idiot.

I mean it. To be against Al Gore's message because of his energy consumption is really really REALLY stupid. Mind bogglingly dumb.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The guy was Vice President during one of the best 8 year stretches in our nation's history, won the Nobel Peace Prize, has spread conservation awareness across the globe, and has made a notable impression in our society.

I would easily trade 600 useless households for 1 Al Gore a dozen times over.

Same goes for Bill Gates; his home uses more power than an entire neighborhood, but he's also created the largest charitable foundation in the world.

Anyway, raw power usage is a useless statistic; efficiency is much more important. And Al Gore has accumulated more accolades and done more work with every watt of energy he uses compared to the rest of us.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
And attacking someone who raises awareness isn't the same as arguing against the issue. To extend your metaphor to how people attack environmentalism through Al Gore, it would be like saying rape is OK just because it turns out an anti-rape activist is a sex offender.

And please don't pretend that's not what Pabster and folks are doing here, that is EXACTLY why they bring up Al Gore every 5 minutes. I personally think Gore is kind of a tool, but what I really hate is how people think it's intelligent debate to argue against environmentalism by pointing out how much energy Al Gore uses.

The hatred for Al Gore is all about his party affiliation. If he had an (R) next to his name those who are so rabid about attacking him would be singing his praises.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Maybe he uses it for some interviews, whoopdee doo. The fact is the man lives in a mansion and sucks down far more energy use than most of us. He is not practicing what he preaches. If he claims to be an energy expert and yet doesn't care enough himself to minimize its use, why would a rational person really think he belives what he's peddling and thus is worth listening to?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Maybe he uses it for some interviews, whoopdee doo. The fact is the man lives in a mansion and sucks down far more energy use than most of us. He is not practicing what he preaches. If he claims to be an energy expert and yet doesn't care enough himself to minimize its use, why would a rational person really think he belives what he's peddling and thus is worth listening to?

The key word in your synopsis is rational.

Ecotheists are a dime a dozen.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Skoorb, I didn't think you were this simple minded.

Al Gore's house is 10,000 square feet. Green or not green, by size alone it's going to consume more energy than a typical house. Does that fact alone make him a hypocrite?

How many of us have solar panels installed at our homes? Gore does. Does that still make him a hypocrite?

How many of us have geothermal heating systems at our homes? Gore does. Does that still make him a hypocrite?

They pay extra on their electric bill to purchase electricity through the local "Green Power Switch" program, which is electricity generated through methods more 'green' than typical methods - how many of us pay such a premium? Does this still make him a hypocrite?

Should they get rid of the pool? Should they get rid of the security fence and other security measure.? Should they fire the staff that live and work there?

People with houses this large are going to consume more energy - he doesn't need to apologize for being wealthy - which he was long before he was in office - yet I'll bet you can't find more than a handful of people that have done more to make their home more environmentally friendly than it is.

Is he supposed to ride a horse instead of flying everywhere? Should his house be lit by candles, and warmed only by fire?

How about this gem from a few posts up: "Hehe, using his home as work, I bet he gets a nice tax deduction for that one. " We've come to this? This makes it sound like Gore is the only person in America that works from home - now he's a tax cheat too?

Finally, I'll add this. I saw Al Gore speak in person in 1987, when he first ran for president. This was well before global warming and environmental conservation talk was 'cool'. Even then, he discussed the need for conservation, alternative energy sources, and less polution - this isn't something he just pulled out of his arse to make a buck, it's something he's been committed to for a very long time.

Pabster - what about the 'lying about ice cores' - ?

Not surprising you are trying to attack the messenger now since the message itself is beyond your talking points attacks.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pabster
Story here.

Well, well. Looks like Mr. Conservation is going to have a little trouble explaining his 10% increase in energy consumption (which was already absurd to begin with) despite all of his remodeling and energy-efficiency improvements.

Perhaps someone needs to tell Al his quota for Carbon Credits just increased. :laugh:

Look how jealous

Does the OP have any remodeling and energy-efficiency improvements?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: Rainsford

The hatred for Al Gore is all about his party affiliation. If he had an (R) next to his name those who are so rabid about attacking him would be singing his praises.

:D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The good leader has done more for the enviornment that those avg joes. He has earned his right to pollute. Do not question him!

ohnoes

Oct 11, 2007
his usage per square feet is on par with the region. The question is really should he be living in a smaller house.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Raising awareness is every bit a defense. People who attack Al Gore for his energy usage, the man who uses a significant portion of that energy in order to convince governments to adopt large scale decreases in energy consumption, is an idiot.

I mean it. To be against Al Gore's message because of his energy consumption is really really REALLY stupid. Mind bogglingly dumb.

Then as long as everybody else in the US preaches about global warming, it'll be OK if they don't conserve themselves, right?

Oh yeah, it's important. Important enough that somebody else should conserve, not me. :roll:

Hypocrisy, it's the Democrat way.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Skoorb, I didn't think you were this simple minded.
My vast complexity merely seems as simpleness to the uninitiated.
Al Gore's house is 10,000 square feet. Green or not green, by size alone it's going to consume more energy than a typical house. Does that fact alone make him a hypocrite?
Yes it will, and yes it does. Doesn't it? How does it not? As the theory goes, we're all burning too much carbon, wasting too much resources and yet instead of leading by example he keeps this vast estate heated and cooled, probably waters a great big lawn, etc. Would you follow a preacher talking about the ills of money and we should live like paupers but he just used your church donation to help make a payment on his Porsche?

The solar panels, the carbon credits, all PR nonsense. I don't have solar panels because I don't have the money to make them worth it. He makes vast sums preaching on this and yet isn't helping to pay for carbon credits of those he expects to make sacrifices, is he? He makes $100 M last year, how much did he give back to others' carbon credits? Easy for him to tell us we should be using less when he's easily got the money to buy carbon credits, install wind turbines, etc. In the end, all those are is nice paint on a big turd.
Should they get rid of the pool?
Those things are luxuries. I thought we were in peril. How can be hask others to sacrifice when he is not putting himself in the same boat? I thought we were in this together but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Not surprising you are trying to attack the messenger now since the message itself is beyond your talking points attacks.
He actually attacks it himself because he clearly doesn't even believe it himself.
A big one is that I bet he doesn't live in a 10,000 square foot house and fly first class or on charter jets everywhere.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Look how jealous

Yes, I do. I'm greener than Gore by a country mile.

"Do As I Say, Not As I Do!"

Nov 30, 2006

* sigh *
Anyone who has the odasity to disagree with you must have the IQ of a toaster. Your vast intellectual superiority is truly amazing. I'm in awe. :roll:

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Leading by example is vastly overrated, he will soon be the spokesman for weight watchers.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
I would easily trade 600 useless households for 1 Al Gore a dozen times over.

Just for clarification purposes ..... what in your opinion is a "useless household"?
I'm hoping you're not the Tool I think you are ..... please answer carefully.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Then as long as everybody else in the US preaches about global warming, it'll be OK if they don't conserve themselves, right?

Oh yeah, it's important. Important enough that somebody else should conserve, not me. :roll:

Hypocrisy, it's the Democrat way.

If someone argues that we should raise taxes nationwide for some reason or another, if they don't pay those additional taxes the whole time that they are agitating for the law to be changed, this does not make them a hypocrite.

Jesus people.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan

* sigh *
Anyone who has the odasity to disagree with you must have the IQ of a toaster. Your vast intellectual superiority is truly amazing. I'm in awe. :roll:

No, of course not, anyone who makes that argument is stupid. I thought that was obvious from what I posted. (hint: it was)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I'm reasonably certain that I've posted more anti-global warming hysteria threads here than anyone else, and even I think this is a dumb criticism.

Valid, yes. Important in the overall scheme of things and significant enough to dismiss what he preaches? Absolutely not.

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan

* sigh *

No, of course not, anyone who makes that argument is stupid. I thought that was obvious from what I posted. (hint: it was)
I'm sure it's all obvious to you. Thanks for clearing that up.