Al Gore sells Current TV to Al Jazeera over Beck, tries to avoid higher taxes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Al Gore has always been in it for the money. I seen nothing wrong with him trying to get it in before the end of the year. People are just to blinded by the fact he has a D near his name.

he is a business man. a very smart and successful one at that.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
shouldn't be a surprise that any liberal is a magnum hypocrite and specialize in selective indignation. It's their Hallmark Gold Crown fundamental characteristic.

Apr 27, 2012
shouldn't be a surprise that any liberal is a magnum hypocrite and specialize in selective indignation. It's their Hallmark Gold Crown fundamental characteristic.

I agree, where is the outrage from liberals:confused:

If a republican did this then there would be a thread attacking them for this but thats the problem with partisan hacks

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Al Gore has always been in it for the money. I seen nothing wrong with him trying to get it in before the end of the year. People are just to blinded by the fact he has a D near his name.

he is a business man. a very smart and successful one at that.

The letter after his name appears to make all the difference in the world. Put an R by his name and any attempts to avoid higher taxes is evil even though he never advocated higher taxes. Put a D after his name and he gets a free pass even though advocating higher taxes on the rich.

It's funny I do not remember any of the same people defending Gore in this thread defending Romney in the threads about his offshore accounts even though they were perfectly legal as well.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Matt1970

The comparison to Romney is a poor one.

Romney demanded lower taxes for himself.

By not releasing his tax returns, we don't know if his actions were legal and he applied for amnesty at the time. What was he hiding?

As far as picking a sale date that was advantageous, since it is a rational, logical, and smart choice, I wouldn't give a rat's ass if a Republican that did it and I would still not condemn it.

Outrage still not found.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
You will never see it because all blame stops at the "D"

Crying+Baby+Natural+High+for+Some+Moms-300x300.jpg

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Key problem with this whole 'story': "who was reportedly eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31".

Anyone here capable of understanding the definition of 'reportedly'? There's no hard evidence here, so who gives a crap. Apparently just extreme righties here searching for some angle to get all bent out of shape on.
"reportedly" is a very sturdy word, you can hang a whole lot of outrage on it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Key problem with this whole 'story': "who was reportedly eager to complete the deal by Dec. 31".

Anyone here capable of understanding the definition of 'reportedly'? There's no hard evidence here, so who gives a crap. Apparently just extreme righties here searching for some angle to get all bent out of shape on.

Since when has a lack of hard evidence stopped anyone from going forward with a story? Apparently all you need to do is claim you have an "anonymous person" and then you can accuse someone publicly of just about anything you wish like not paying taxes for 10 years.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
So you mean liberals like gore who call for higher taxes only want it for others? Why I am not surprised with that pos.

His network was FAR LEFT and it was an utter failure, its a good thing that it failed, we need less of that crap on tv.

Umm, I guess we have different definitions of "failure". As a rule of thumb I usually don't consider making 100 million freaking dollars a "failure" but to each their own.

Apr 27, 2012
Umm, I guess we have different definitions of "failure". As a rule of thumb I usually don't consider making 100 million freaking dollars a "failure" but to each their own.

I am talking about current tv, It was FAR LEFT and the ratings were horrible, no one watched that crap so it was a failure

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I am talking about current tv, It was FAR LEFT and the ratings were horrible, no one watched that crap so it was a failure

I find it funny we have message board trolls, talking about failure.

Being sold for 500m? Constitutes value.
I don't consider a business worth 500m
A failure. But hey whatever alternate reality you want to belong to.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Matt1970

"You will never see it because all blame stops at the "D""

I consider that a lie! Not everyone is a partisan hack like you.

I offered a reasoned analysis for my opinion of the deal just as I do for any topic. Party affiliation does not color my opinions. If you think I am prone to too much criticism of the Right, I guess it's because I see more of them saying and doing objectionable things. I criticize those on the left when I think they are wrong too.

You on the other hand, always use party affiliation as a primary filter in forming your opinions according to my observations. You even assume that anyone who disagrees with you is a Democrat which is pretty foolish.

Have a better day than you deserve.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Matt1970

"You will never see it because all blame stops at the "D""

I consider that a lie! Not everyone is a partisan hack like you.

I offered a reasoned analysis for my opinion of the deal just as I do for any topic. Party affiliation does not color my opinions. If you think I am prone to too much criticism of the Right, I guess it's because I see more of them saying and doing objectionable things. I criticize those on the left when I think they are wrong too.

You on the other hand, always use party affiliation as a primary filter in forming your opinions according to my observations. You even assume that anyone who disagrees with you is a Democrat which is pretty foolish.

Have a better day than you deserve.

Giving excuses for one of the largest proponents of higher taxes on the wealthy trying to avoid taxes himself shows partisian hack.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Giving excuses for one of the largest proponents of higher taxes on the wealthy trying to avoid taxes himself shows partisian hack.

Blasting Gore for allegedly trying to avoid paying higher tax from folks on the right is hypocrisy.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Matt1970

How is it so hard for you to comprehend? Your use of the word "excuses" is absurd.

We both agree on the facts of the issue. No excuses needed there.

I explained that I considered Gore's plan to be an astute business decision. No excuses necessary. ( I think even you would have a hard time arguing to the contrary.) I find no fault, moral failing, or hypocrisy in following current tax law while advocating for changes in said tax law.

You seem to think that advocating tax law changes disqualifies someone from benefiting from current tax law. That defies logic.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Blasting Gore for allegedly trying to avoid paying higher tax from folks on the right is hypocrisy.

It would be but the right isn't the one advocating higher taxes and then doing what they can to avoid them.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Matt1970

How is it so hard for you to comprehend? Your use of the word "excuses" is absurd.

We both agree on the facts of the issue. No excuses needed there.

I explained that I considered Gore's plan to be an astute business decision. No excuses necessary. ( I think even you would have a hard time arguing to the contrary.) I find no fault, moral failing, or hypocrisy in following current tax law while advocating for changes in said tax law.

You seem to think that advocating tax law changes disqualifies someone from benefiting from current tax law. That defies logic.

It clearly shows they want higher taxes on everyone but themselves.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Did Al run the deal and control the deadlines? Maybe it was just lawyers who want a bigger cut?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
"reportedly" is a very sturdy word, you can hang a whole lot of outrage on it.
I despise Algore, but that's a very good point.

Since when has a lack of hard evidence stopped anyone from going forward with a story? Apparently all you need to do is claim you have an "anonymous person" and then you can accuse someone publicly of just about anything you wish like not paying taxes for 10 years.
Also a good point.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
It's funny to see you guys claim that Gore must be some kind of Commie, considering he heavily pressured Bill Clinton to agree to measures to balance the budget (many of which were unpopular with the left) while they were in the White House.