Al Franken & Norm Coleman within 65 of votes of each other

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Forced recount. Sending franken to DC embrasses me as a Minnesotan. Imagine your state sending sean hannity or rush limbaugh as your senator? A bomb throwing a hole as your representative? Then tack on this ridiculous tax amendment and I this is the first time I am seriously questioning the sanity of my fellow citizens.

Believe it or not I generally agree. I am a lifelong Democrat and voted for Coleman. I don't find Franken quite as scary as you do, but as far as I can see he has NO relevant credentials, nor any inclination or ability to build consensus. Coleman is a reasonably effective, centrist Senator, and he's such a whore when it comes to bowing to public opinion that he'll presumably be even more centrist in an Obama-led, democratic-majority government.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Forced recount. Sending franken to DC embrasses me as a Minnesotan. Imagine your state sending sean hannity or rush limbaugh as your senator? A bomb throwing a hole as your representative? Then tack on this ridiculous tax amendment and I this is the first time I am seriously questioning the sanity of my fellow citizens.

Norm Coleman is at least as big an embarrassment. I like Franken's books, and while I don't think he'd be a good Senator, the idea that Coleman is a better choice is kind of silly. The bigger embarrassment is that these two were the best Minnesota could put forward.

this

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: senseamp
Honestly, as a Democrat, I am afraid Franken will be a distraction from the Democrat Agenda, and a figurehead for the right to bash.
So I don't really care if MN sends Coleman to Senate. Maybe get Prince to run against him next time...

lol

:) I hear he is too busy these days surfing YouTube and having any video of him pulled off the site. OCD. That is odd that Coleman pulled ahead. Last night at 5am, 99% of the votes had been counted and Franken was up by 600. That last 1% flipped Coleman on top. Very, close race no matter who wins.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Yep this close will set off a auto-recount.

But I still believe Coleman will win not because MN choose/want him, but so many split their vote between Franken and the 3rd party guy.

I think barkley split the vote. Typically 3rd party candidates, especially in MN, seem to hurt republicans more. But this time it appears he took from both.

Most polls I saw showed more anti-coleman people voting for the 3rd party. Being that this race looks like it will come down to less then 1000 votes that is mroe then enough to swing it one way or another.

Did those fools not learn from Ralph Nader??

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Franken's a democrat. This will be locked up in the courts through the end of the year.

Pst, his 571-vote margin falls within the state's mandatory recount law. That law requires a recount any time the margin between the top two candidates is less than one-half of one percent.

You on autopilot today?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
what happens if the recount doesn't agree with the first count? do you go with the recount? do you go with the first count? do you make another recount? what if that one doesn't agree with the first two? can any count be trusted more than any other?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone

Believe it or not I generally agree. I am a lifelong Democrat and voted for Coleman. I don't find Franken quite as scary as you do, but as far as I can see he has NO relevant credentials, nor any inclination or ability to build consensus. Coleman is a reasonably effective, centrist Senator, and he's such a whore when it comes to bowing to public opinion that he'll presumably be even more centrist in an Obama-led, democratic-majority government.

:beer:

I attended a wedding last weekend in Minneapolis and so I talked politics pretty much all night. I was about the only Conservative in the room but those that I talked with didn't have a big problem with Coleman- especially since he used to be (D). No one had overwhelming love for Stuart and they seemed to be a bit gun shy to elect an embarrassment like Franken since they were the butt of so many jokes for electing Ventura... :p <- summary of their words - not my opinion.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I am a Democrat and voted for Dean Barkley in this race. I like Franken's passion but other than the fact that he's part of the party I generally agree with, he doesn't have anything else going for him. Coleman I don't really like that much, though I think people are a bit unfair to him. Yes, he's a Republican. But he's still more centrist than most Republicans. Barkley, on the other hand, lined right up with my viewpoints: Socially very liberal (moreso than the Democrats, advocating an end to the war on drugs and looser gun control), fiscally very conservative. I imagine a lot of Republicans disillusioned from the past eight years may have voted for Barkley rather than give their vote to a Democrat.

If Coleman wins by a tiny margin I'll be unhappy because I was conflicted about whether to vote for Barkley or Franken. But I decided, when I gave my vote to Barkley, that I wouldn't whine and complain about Coleman since I could have voted against him but didn't.

To those who say I threw my vote away: Fuck you. I voted with my principles. The fact that Barkley got such a large percentage of the vote, despite this being the hardest-fought senatorial battle in the entire country, says a lot about what Minnesotans think of the status quo.

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Yeah, we'll have to wait a few weeks now. Recount won't start until mid Nov. and most likely won't be done until early Dec. It's really tight. I just hope whoever wins realizes how many people voted for the other guy and adjusts their positions accordingly. Unfortunately, that rarely ever happens. I'm Ok with one D and one R senator. Keeps it balanced.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Now it's a 570 difference. Damn close. Franken down and likely out unless the recount gets him within 100 and there are still votes to count.