Aiwa RC-ZAS02 will do everything but play?

Applebloom

Mar 29, 2021
Got an aiwa from a friend whos moving. It does everything- takes cds, takes cassets, but when i try to hit play or next nothing happens? am i doing something wrong? are there any easy fixes? please dont just say "aiwa garbage" im garbage too and if i can make some free speakers work i will. thank you

also image is what its stuck at. I can adjust volume but nothing else.

Attachments

• 16170525568378606851927074875649.jpg
    16170525568378606851927074875649.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 13

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Could be many things. First thought: nothing MOVES, so there's a problem with a motor or drive mechanism. If you're a home handyperson with experience in this stuff, you'll have to start by opening the case so you can see components. Clean out any obvious dust carefully, try moving items by finger push to see whether they turn and slide.Look around the board for a possible small fuse in a holder. Examine the motors and related mechanisms, especially for a broken or-out-of place drive belt. Check for possible broken off wire connections. MAYBE try disconnecting any connectors, then plugging back in - several times each - in case there is a loose or dirty contact. Be careful - some of these are delicate and NOT designed for frequent manipulation.

With these preliminaries out of the way, make sure things are unimpeded and plug in. Try the various controls and observe what responds properly, and what either does nothing or moves only a tiny bit. That may provide more clues.

Unplug. If you can access motor bearing ends and sliding / rotating components, consider adding VERY tiny drops of very light oil - I use sewing machine oil with a partial drop on the end of a pin - to friction points and wiping off excess, then moving these items by finger a bit to help the oil penetrate. See if that makes any difference at all.

From there the next step would be to investigate electrical info IF you know what you are doing there. Without a circuit diagram and a lot of info, there's a limit on this. Personally I can do little in circuit understanding and diagnosis - my skills only extend to checking whether certain voltages are present. If I have not identified and fixed the problem so far, I usually have to give up.