Question Airprint compatible printer

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Looking for a laser or inkjet, preferably laser printer that has airprint compatibility for a family member. When searching for printers, most I have looked at don't specifically say airprint. They do say mobile device printing, does that mean it is airprint compatible? He currently has an older inkjet printer, not sure which model but doesn't have airprint. He has an ipad and can't print to his current printer. Been a few years but I looked at it and wasn't sure if there was a way to do it. Is it possible to print from ipad to non airprint printer?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Apple has a list of Airprint compatible printers. If the printer isn't listed, then it won't work.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Looking for a laser or inkjet, preferably laser printer that has airprint compatibility for a family member. When searching for printers, most I have looked at don't specifically say airprint. They do say mobile device printing, does that mean it is airprint compatible? He currently has an older inkjet printer, not sure which model but doesn't have airprint. He has an ipad and can't print to his current printer. Been a few years but I looked at it and wasn't sure if there was a way to do it. Is it possible to print from ipad to non airprint printer?

I was able to install some stuff that lets me use a plain printer. I ended up with a windows user whose only purpose is as the account for the airprint stuff.

It's been a while, and my memory isn't good enough to guide you much, but here are the links I still have from when I did it about a year ago. The only drawback is that your windows computer must be running or you can't use the airprint. I used a real old cannon printer and it worked ok. Good luck.

Last edited:

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
You can also setup CUPS on a Raspberry Pi along with AirPrint functionality. You should be able to find a tutorial. I did this for an old Dell printer that predates Airprint.