Airport security forces mother to drink breast milk in bottles

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
That's just wrong. I can imagine how much stress these guards must have lately, but treatment like this is just sick. If it gets much more out of hand, they'll start doing full body cavity searches before boarding.

hoihtah

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
what was the purpose of this?
what does this prevent?

milk drops on airplane's seats?

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Ick...

Well, thanks for keeping me "abreast" of the situation. (whahahahaahaa!) :D
rolleye.gif

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Beau6183
That's just wrong. I can imagine how much stress these guards must have lately, but treatment like this is just sick. If it gets much more out of hand, they'll start doing full body cavity searches before boarding.

Woohoo, sign me up for a security job!

In all seriousness, though, I think this has been blown out of proportion. From more reliable news sources it seems as if she was required to take several sips from each container - Not exactly drinking the whole bottle like some people have said.

I can understand the logic behind requiring people to drink liquids, especially opaque liquids, but they probably took it too far this time.

Viper GTS

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
It's not uncommon for security personell to have a "drink it or ditch it" attitude towards drinks. LONG before the whole WTC thing happened a coworker of mine was coming back from China and had a coke with him, the security personell said "either drink it now, or throw it away. Either way it's not coming on the plane"

This isn't that much different.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
No this is credible. I remember when I was flying after 9-11 I had some coffee from work in a clear cup. The guy told me to take a sip of the drink and swallow it. I did as follows and then inquired why to him afterwards. He politely told me I might be smuggling gasoline or some other flammable substance that could be clear onto the plane and all it would take is a match and boom. He said it's a preventitive measure. As far as I am concerned the media always blows this stuff out of proportion by making the woman out to be a martyr. It's milk, get the fvck over it and get on the plane.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
for those saying its no difrent then coke or coffee remember this is BREAST MILK you know the babies food?

a baby needs to eat every few hours so making the mother drink all 3 of the bottles of her milk is not only silly its bad for the baby. what does the baby eat now? i soppose she can breast feed there on teh plane but some women dont like to do it in public (my wife for one). then again they might have stopped her because she might squirt it into the stewedes's eye and blind her!

bah i hope she sues and gets a good amount of money.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: waggy
for those saying its no difrent then coke or coffee remember this is BREAST MILK you know the babies food?

a baby needs to eat every few hours so making the mother drink all 3 of the bottles of her milk is not only silly its bad for the baby. what does the baby eat now? i soppose she can breast feed there on teh plane but some women dont like to do it in public (my wife for one). then again they might have stopped her because she might squirt it into the stewedes's eye and blind her!

She was required to take a few sips from each bottle, not drink the entire thing.

And although she might not relish the thought of drinking her own breast milk, it's not going to hurt her in any way other than make her make strange faces.

She needs to get the f*** over it and move on with her life.

Viper GTS

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
She was required to take a few sips from each bottle, not drink the entire thing.

And although she might not relish the thought of drinking her own breast milk, it's not going to hurt her in any way other than make her make strange faces.

Yep.
We don't profile, so EVERYONE has to follow the rules.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Okay, if the mom was ordered to drink all 3 bottles, as the story says, that's wrong.

However, as stupid as airport security guards are, I can't believe that she was actually forced to drink all 3 bottles. I've been asked to drink from cups I've taken on planes, and this is one of the few security precautions that actually makes sense to me.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

well considering the article says somthing like

"I asked them if I could just taste it; if I could just show them how you would check a baby's bottle - that it was warm milk and everything. And they said, 'No,'" ordering her to "drink it all."

sure sounds like they made her drink the entire thing. but hey i could be wrong. by the way its the 7th paragraph down if you want to see if i am.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Q]

Viper GTS

Errr.... did you read the article?

From article:
"I asked them if I could just taste it; if I could just show them how you would check a baby's bottle - that it was warm milk and everything. And they said, 'No,'" ordering her to "drink it all."

Lethal

dleiss

Apr 5, 2002
With getting their salary doubled and other government benefits, one would thing they could hire smarter staff.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Viper GTS

sure sounds like they made her drink the entire thing. but hey i could be wrong. by the way its the 7th paragraph down if you want to see if i am.

There have been differing reports as to how much she was required to drink.

Still, I have to ask - If she was going to be required to waste all three bottles, why didn't she simply dump them? It's not like they were going to do her or her baby any good in her stomach anyway, she might as well have just emptied them.

Viper GTS

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dleiss
With getting their salary doubled and other government benefits, one would thing they could hire smarter staff.

Small minded people who find themselves in positions of authority often find that saying "no" is the only way they can impose their authority on others.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001

Viper GTS

Still, I have to ask - If she was going to be required to waste all three bottles, why didn't she simply dump them? It's not like they were going to do her or her baby any good in her stomach anyway, she might as well have just emptied them.

Viper GTS

Since no other linx were posted I went by the first article... If she just had to taste them, then yes she is over reacting. Why she didn't she dump them instead of drink them all? I don't know...

Lethal

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

i still have to asy WHY she was required to waste all 3 bottles. since it was breast milk something that the baby needs. hopefully they start to hire some guards with some common sense.

i can understand the hot coffee i can even kind of understand the can of coke. but breast milk? she had hre baby with her! sheesh. ohwell

bbkat

Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: LethalWolfe
Q]

Viper GTS

Errr.... did you read the article?

From article:

Lethal

I'll reserve judgement till I hear all the facts, and not base an opinion solely on this bitch's whine.

oops, did I just opine?

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
The problem here waggy is only a few people understand that the baby's breast milk, pumped in advance and held in reserve for that day's trip, has any more value than a bottle of []fill in blank w/current "fav" drink[]. Furthermore, if she put her mouth on to container to drink then she introduced mouth bacteria and shortened the "shelf life" of the products, ASSuming there was actually any product left after the taste test. In last night's thread it was implied she MUST drink it ALL and did not have the option of throwing it out, either of which is a poor option for a nursing baby by the way.

The problem with airport security, it seems, is little people with little brains having big power. Thank God I haven't had to subject myself to the ordeal of air travel since 9/11 (well not the travel so much as the knuckle-dragger security), but my husband has not been so fortunate. Rest assured though that we all are safe from the inflight breast-feeding mothers and traveling EEs, hurray.

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
Nothing wrong with it.....

What's the big deal? I had a milkshake at the airport, I took a sip at the security check point... off I go....

I don't think I have any milk of my own.... hmmmmmm