Airplay/Chromecast between Laptop and HTPC

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I've been running an HTPC since 2009, and love the thing. I am currently running MediaPortal, but think I am going to switch to XBMC for the frontend (currently setting it up on the laptop to make sure I like it before putting it on HTPC).

Before I built the HTPC I had visions of it being much like how an AppleTV or Roku is today, basically load the frontend and stay in it 95% of the time. In realty I use the HTPC more like a windows box, that runs MediaPortal for TV/Movies, Firefox for Youtube/netflix, Winamp/IHeartRadio for Music, etc. Which is one reason I plan on changing to XBMC.

One feature I feel like I am really missing out on is the ability to do Airplay/Chromecast. In the living room I will be looking around Youtube or the internet and want to watch it on the HTPC, but sending the URL to the HTPC is a pain so I just end up watching it on the laptop.

Anyways, is there any way to send streams from the Laptop to the HTPC, or even a good way to share a clipboard? I would really prefer a solution that would work within XBMC, but that isn't required.

HTPC is Win8.1, Laptop is Win7.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I don't know about Firefox but Chrome browser has the option of opening web pages opened in other devices. And YouTube should have history of videos played.

You can always just get a Chromecast if it bothers you that much. $35 is pretty cheap solution.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I don't know about Firefox but Chrome browser has the option of opening web pages opened in other devices. And YouTube should have history of videos played.

You can always just get a Chromecast if it bothers you that much. $35 is pretty cheap solution.

The point of an HTPC, imho, is to have an unified solution, not add on extra devices. I am sure there is a way to do it, just need to figure it out. Using sync in FF or chrome would work, but not within XBMC.

I did get DNLA to work for audio on XBMC last night, using my phone as a source. So I am getting closer.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I use AirServer to do streaming from my iDevices to my HTPCs. It works pretty well, but unfortunately, their licensing changed a few months back, which makes it a bit pricier to use on multiple machines. :(