Airplay/Chromecast between Laptop and HTPC

Zorba

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
I've been running an HTPC since 2009, and love the thing. I am currently running MediaPortal, but think I am going to switch to XBMC for the frontend (currently setting it up on the laptop to make sure I like it before putting it on HTPC).

Before I built the HTPC I had visions of it being much like how an AppleTV or Roku is today, basically load the frontend and stay in it 95% of the time. In realty I use the HTPC more like a windows box, that runs MediaPortal for TV/Movies, Firefox for Youtube/netflix, Winamp/IHeartRadio for Music, etc. Which is one reason I plan on changing to XBMC.

One feature I feel like I am really missing out on is the ability to do Airplay/Chromecast. In the living room I will be looking around Youtube or the internet and want to watch it on the HTPC, but sending the URL to the HTPC is a pain so I just end up watching it on the laptop.

Anyways, is there any way to send streams from the Laptop to the HTPC, or even a good way to share a clipboard? I would really prefer a solution that would work within XBMC, but that isn't required.

HTPC is Win8.1, Laptop is Win7.

Nov 20, 2005
Airplay works pretty good in XBMC. I use it all the time, the only things that don't work are DRM content (aka videos bought in iTunes) and mirroring.

Did you install Bonjour and enable it in XBMC?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=AirPlay

Zorba

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
Airplay works pretty good in XBMC. I use it all the time, the only things that don't work are DRM content (aka videos bought in iTunes) and mirroring.

Did you install Bonjour and enable it in XBMC?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=AirPlay
I hadn't tried it yet. Do you know of a program that can run on windows to be the source side? (Outside of itunes?)

Feb 14, 2002
I don't know about Firefox but Chrome browser has the option of opening web pages opened in other devices. And YouTube should have history of videos played.

You can always just get a Chromecast if it bothers you that much. $35 is pretty cheap solution.

Zorba

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
I don't know about Firefox but Chrome browser has the option of opening web pages opened in other devices. And YouTube should have history of videos played.

You can always just get a Chromecast if it bothers you that much. $35 is pretty cheap solution.
The point of an HTPC, imho, is to have an unified solution, not add on extra devices. I am sure there is a way to do it, just need to figure it out. Using sync in FF or chrome would work, but not within XBMC.

I did get DNLA to work for audio on XBMC last night, using my phone as a source. So I am getting closer.

Nov 27, 2001
I use AirServer to do streaming from my iDevices to my HTPCs. It works pretty well, but unfortunately, their licensing changed a few months back, which makes it a bit pricier to use on multiple machines. :(

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS