Airline mishandles my bag and destroys some items

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I just got back from a trip yesterday and before I checked my bags, I was told I had to put my bottles of alcohol in the bag as well. I said that was fine, but that I had some very delicate items in my bag and I didn't want them dammaged. They said they would be very careful, put a "frigile" sticker on the bag and assured me my things would be safe.

When I arrived in the terminal and got my bag, I could smell alcohol. I opened up the bag and one of my bottles was completely smashed. Most of the breakable items were fine because they were on the other side of the bag. The most valuable things I lost were a bunch of phone numbers and email addresses from people I met on my trip and those can never be replaced. The most expensive thing that was dammaged was my iPod. The screen is cracked, and when you turn it on the screen just goes bright and you can't see anything.

I was pissed off and went to the claim counter and started asking them WTF is the point of marking a bag fragile if my stuff is going to get mishandled anyway. The woman's responce was "we're not liable"... ****** I wanted to punch her in the face, but getting arrested probably wouldn't help my cause so I just left.

Is it just as simple as that, that I have no protection for my things after I check them in? I'm so angry right now.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Well airlines are only responsible for "current" value. Like iPod might be $300-$200 depreciated value, so they'll give $100 for it. Forget about getting a refund on the liquor.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Sorry, I LOL'ed at your expense. As much as people like to bitch about UPS/Fedex/USPS mishandling packages, they can't hold a candle to airlines when it comes to mishandling stuff.

On the serious note, if you paid for your tickets with a major credit card check see if they offer travel insurance, some do.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I think the problem stems from the fact that they misspelled the 'Fragile' sticker on the side of your bag...

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: AnyMal
Sorry, I LOL'ed at your expense. As much as people like to bitch about UPS/Fedex/USPS mishandling packages, they can't hold a candle to airlines when it comes to mishandling stuff.

On the serious note, if you paid for your tickets with a major credit card check see if they offer travel insurance, some do.

true that. i sat at the windows seat right on top of the belt when they were loading my plane, and even then, the bags were simply tosses and dropped and pushed/kicked wrecklessly. they seriously don't give a fck at all

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Zee
Originally posted by: AnyMal

true that. i sat at the windows seat right on top of the belt when they were loading my plane, and even then, the bags were simply tosses and dropped and pushed/kicked wrecklessly. they seriously don't give a fck at all

Yep. Tossers are under a lot of pressure to load the planes fast.