Aircraft Carrier in Newport, Rhode Island (PICS)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002

Hey, the Danger Ranger!! :laugh:

Got to stay on her for 3 days, back around 83 time frame, when I went down to San Diego for a shipboard firefighting school. Bunch of us went, we were all jazzed, thinking they might put us in a barracks for a couple days (sure beats the "rack" on a ship!!)...... then found out they were berthing us on the Ranger, since she was going through a refit alongside the pier, and had plenty of room on board!

First time I ever saw an escalator on board a navy ship, too! Man, y'all spoiled your pilots!! ;)

I was on the Big "E" from 82 to 87. :D

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: marvdmartian

Hey, the Danger Ranger!! :laugh:

Got to stay on her for 3 days, back around 83 time frame, when I went down to San Diego for a shipboard firefighting school. Bunch of us went, we were all jazzed, thinking they might put us in a barracks for a couple days (sure beats the "rack" on a ship!!)...... then found out they were berthing us on the Ranger, since she was going through a refit alongside the pier, and had plenty of room on board!

First time I ever saw an escalator on board a navy ship, too! Man, y'all spoiled your pilots!! ;)

I was on the Big "E" from 82 to 87. :D

Forrest Fire here from 88-90 (Air Wing though)
and JFK from 90-92
did dets on
IKE
Rosey
big E
Lincoln
Washington

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Thanks for the info on the vessel guys (aquaman, CVSin, NoNoMoney).

Originally posted by: montanafan
cherrytwist and Sluggo, first of all nice photos :thumbsup:

Second, I'm thinking of going to Newport before I have to go back to work at the end of the month. Can you give me any info or tips that would help me out, like with traffic, places to stay and eat, things to do. All I know that I'm interested in is the tours of the mansions and now from you guys a harbor tour. Any other suggestions?

Traffic getting in/out of Newport isn't too bad if you're not travelling on a weekend. Once you're there, it's pretty easy to get around. You can walk to most places, aside from the Mansion tours. And don't miss Cliff Walk.

We dined at Le Bistro the other day, I would highly recommend it. Your dollar doesn't go too far at most places in Newport, this place was an exception.

While I'm at it, here's a LINK to Classic Cruises of Newport. We took the Madeleine.

After living in RI for over two years, I only visit Newport when company is in town. It's typically not my cup of tea, but I hope I've given you some useful info.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CVSiN
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Which carrier was this? Looks like a Forrestal class to me rather than a Nimitz, but I'm not an expert...

its not a carrier.. that is a Amphibious Assault Carrier we call them gator freighters..
they carry helicopters and harriers only and a crapload of Marines

MUCH MUCH smaller than even a Forrestal class CV.

The fat, boxy rear-end gives it away as being a not-aircraft-carrier. The back end is "wet" in that smaller vessels can go inside.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Cherrytwist, thank you for the information and links. The Cliff Walk looks like something I would enjoy, well if I can avoid the poison ivy that is. Le Bistro has a nice menu and pretty reasonable prices for the selection and the location. I didn't know the harbor cruises were on schooners, that makes it even more appealing. I'm also glad to hear that the traffic isn't that bad during the week. I'd be arriving and leaving during the work week.

Thanks again for the help, cherrytwist!

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: eLiu
Originally posted by: CVSiN
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Which carrier was this? Looks like a Forrestal class to me rather than a Nimitz, but I'm not an expert...

its not a carrier.. that is a Amphibious Assault Carrier we call them gator freighters..
they carry helicopters and harriers only and a crapload of Marines

MUCH MUCH smaller than even a Forrestal class CV.

The fat, boxy rear-end gives it away as being a not-aircraft-carrier. The back end is "wet" in that smaller vessels can go inside.

actually the entire ship gives it away... a CV/N is almost 2.5x as wide and much longer and taller plus has an angled flight deck... we havent had straight decked carriers since Korea.