Air Rifles

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pontifex, Nov 9, 2012.

1. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

Anyone here an expert on air rifles? I've been thinking about getting one to shoot around the house since I can't really shoot anything else, and it will get me shooting more often.

I used to have a Daisy pump BB gun but hated having to pump it for every shot. Also had CO2 BB and pellet pistols but having to buy CO2 cartridges that didn't last very long sucked too.

Air rifles seem to have come a long way since I was a kid or maybe I just didn't realize there were that many varied types.

I've been looking at the spring pistol models. Any idea on whats considered best or the best value?

This will mostly be used for either paper targets or maybe the little spinner type targets. Would like the option to use it on squirrels or birds, but probably not likely that I'll use it for that.

2. Nintendesert

Nintendesert Diamond Member

Check your local firearms laws, in some areas discharging an air rifle is the prohibited just like a normal rifle.

Other than that, good luck. I loved shooting my legos as a kid with my air rifle and blowing stuff up. :)

3. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

i'm fine shooting here. i meant i can't shoot my larger caliber guns due to the way neighbors are situated. higher caliber firearms are just too powerful, but an air rifle would be just fine.

#3 pontifex, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

I looked into them a while ago. Some can be about as powerful as a 22. Look to spend hundreds of dollars for a good one.

5. olds

olds Elite Member

6. clamum

clamum Lifer

You talking about airsoft rifles? Those would work great but a good one is probably expensive. I'd always shoot BB guns as a kid but just the regular pump guns.

7. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

#7 pontifex, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  8. squirrel dog

squirrel dog Diamond Member

9. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I have a Beeman I got from Dicks a few years ago. I'm not an expert, but I like the rifle. It would be suitable for hunting squirrel if you were so inclined.

10. SlowSpyder

SlowSpyder Lifer

I have one of those and love it. But I consider it a very real and dangerous weapon, it has a good deal of power (relatively speaking). I wouldn't choose it for shooting targets in the back yard in a residential neighborhood. If you have some space, then that'd be fine, but if there is another house a hundred feet behind your's, I wouldn't do it.

11. Broheim

Broheim Diamond Member

12. drinkmorejava

drinkmorejava Diamond Member

I have a Gamo Big Cat hunter with a break barrel.

Great gun. Cost me about $120, but I got it through a neighbor who was a licensed gun dealer.

Whatever you do, don't get one at walmart.

13. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

14. highland145

highland145 Lifer

My bro gave my kid the Ruger pellet rifle last Christmas. 1K ft/sec. It's not a toy. 1 pump break barrel. Very accurate if you get competition pellets.

15. Broheim

Broheim Diamond Member

in the promotional video they shot and killed a wildboar so you get the picture.

the rifle was legal without a license for a while here in Denmark, unfortunatly they changed that.

16. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

I checked it out, they're using the same pressure as scuba it looks like. You need to get your air tank filled. Scuba tanks are filled to 3000 PSI if you get the picture. The valves in that thing must be amazingly strong, lightweight and fast.

17. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

They have some you fill with compressed air, and also some that use the paintball CO2 tanks.

I kind of felt the opposite. After playing with lots of high tech paintball guns, air rifles seem down right primitive, like they have gotten left behind tech wise.

In some countries they actually hunt with big bore air rifles, but you don't see many air rifles like that in the US. In the US people just use firearms. So there is little in the way of high powered air rifles. They seem to be mostly made for children.

18. Kwatt

Kwatt Golden Member

Or Quackenbush 50 cal "Bandit" 250 ft. lbs. muzzle.

I am holding out for the the .308 "Exile" only 180 to 200 ft. lbs. muzzle.
    But use 30 cal M1 carbine bullets easy to get and cheap. 100 - 115 grain for $18 + shipping.

19. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

20. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Why carry a tank of dangerously high compressed gas when you can have the in a safe cartridge?

Click. Boom. Super safe.

21. Lemon law

Lemon law Lifer

In terms of a .177 caliber rifle or pistol, it may be fun for indoor or outdoor use. But when such rifles or pistols try to compete with conventional smokeless powder firearms in the rim fire .22 long rifle class as a hunting weapon, its a don't me laugh. As I laugh even harder when they advertise recoil reduction.

But still I can only have my own opinion, if some one else wants to spend big bucks on basic toys, what obligation do I have to prevent it?

22. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

They are safe. Paintballers have been using high pressure tanks for a long time under rougher conditions than you'd get target shooting or hunting.

23. Farmer

Farmer Diamond Member

So I guess you're also again propane grills?

24. dud

dud Diamond Member

The Rogue costs $1,300.

25. Brigandier

Brigandier Diamond Member

Relatively inert, the only reason. Pump action air rifles are useful, but I agree with you, if you have to buy ammo(cartridges of CO2 or powder and bullets) might as well be putting out real force and lead.